Potassium shortfall

Options
I have been paying more and more attention to the daily nutritional summaries and I've noticed that I am waaayyy under my potassium limit everyday. Does anyone know how I can more add potassium to my diet (not including eating 12 bananas a day)? :smile: I feel like I'm really drawing a blank here.

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, so I can't comment on specifics. But most food labeling simply doesn't include the potassium. You would need to look it up on a site like the USDA nutrient database to see what you're really getting.

Also, if your sodium is very low, you don't need as much potassium. You lose potassium from your kidneys in the course of trying to get rid of excess sodium.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I get a lot of potassium from spinach and asparagus
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The coconut water that I buy has 568 mg of potassium in it.
    I add it to my smoothies.

Avocados also have a healthy amount of potassium.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have a ton of potassium :D
  • bmac1996acc
    Options
    Mine always seems to be way low to. I actually order some Potassium Chloride to take as a supplement. Supposedly you can use it as a replacement for salt as a seasoning
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Bumping this thread as I've been noticing the same thing.
  • HelenBuffy
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I am going to look at a federal website and see! I just found it hard to believe that with a balanced diet, I could be so low! Looks like I need to up my green foods!
  • arshness
    arshness Posts: 60
    Options
    Bananas, Cooked Tomato products, spinach, Yoplait Yogurts, Potatoes, Green beans, and I drink Bolthouse Smoothies here and there to help with more potassium because most of the flavors are LOADED with it :)

I'm gonna try potassium chloride salt substitute soon too.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,900 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8 is high in potassium, but don't freak out about being low. Many food that have lots of potassium don't list it on the label, so it winds up in the database as having zero mg of potassium. I gave up trying to track mine because of this problem.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mine always seems to be way low to. I actually order some Potassium Chloride to take as a supplement. Supposedly you can use it as a replacement for salt as a seasoning

Please check with your doctor on this, as blood potassium levels are important for cardiac function. Both too high and too low are problematic.