1200 Calories a day

Options
Seems like 1200 calories is too low. What do you think? Just started this week and I am having a hard time keeping my calories that low.

Replies

• Raechalina
    Options
    It is pretty low, but one of my good friends kept her calorie intake to 1200 and she lost 20 pounds in a months time.
  • Linafacer
    Linafacer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    in the beginning it was really hard for me, but as I learned to make a few changes it gets so much easier. tips I learned was to skip the cheese, may, and butter in items. it does not taste as good but it usually still tases good too. I started using plain yogurt instead of sour cream which tastes the same to me and I am a huge sour cream fan. I also started drinking almond milk instead of regular which has less calories and more nutritional value. just a few small adjustments and I can still enjoy eating. :) Keep it up and you will do fine soon. it gets easier.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't right for many people. is that the target MFP gave you? what goal do you have it set for (1lb a week? 1/2 pound a week?)

your starting point can affect your calorie goal too. for example, I started at almost 300lvs and my calorie goal was around 1900. I'm at 230ish now and my goal is 1420 for now.

if 1200 is the goal MFP has set for you to lose a pound a week, I might take it to 1/2 a pound a week and see what that gives you... start slow! no sense in jumping into the deep end, if you're having a hard time you may find it easier to quit. allow yourself more calories and gradually bring it down.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I think that in order to develop a sustainable new lifestyle, you need to be more reasonable with calories. 1200 simply isn't enough for a body that does so much on a daily basis. Try upping it to around 1400 net at least. You won't lose as fast, but it will be more sustainable in the long run.
  • ovilma89
    ovilma89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im doing the same diet! :) 1200 calories a day. It is hard in the beginning, but your body will adjust. I am on my second week with this diet, and i hardly get hungry during the day. Try to have snacks in the middle of your meals, so that you don't feel like your starving! I lost 2.5 lbs in my first week! :) Best of luck!
  • marinemomx2
    marinemomx2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 too and the first two days I was over! I am also burning about 260 calories or more with exercise which actually puts me at over 1400/day which is much easier and I have been under the 1400 for the last two days. It really does force you to focus on what and how much you are eating!
  • AngiDurand
    Options
    That is what I have allotted for the day also. But the more you burn with exercise - the more they add to the amount you can eat for the day!
    I was really excited when I seen that, but I noticed that since I started increasing how much water I drink throughout the day, the fewer calories I was consuming. Sometimes I have a really hard time even eating 1200 calories a day, and frequently I am under that amount, which is not good.
    Now - instead of drinking 2 8 oz glasses of water a day - I replace it with a slim fast shake.
    Works for me!
  • brief007
    brief007 Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 12.5 lbs in the first 4 weeks...... BUT, just gain 4 lbs back in the past week! Any idea?
  • tonic333
    tonic333 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been at 1200 cal for the last 4.5 weeks and have already lost 14 lbs. I also exercise off at least 400-550 a day. I eat it off. I just follow the MFP calorie app and its ben working for me so far.
  • LuluBiscuit
    Options
    Had the same thoughts yesterday. MLP gave me 1200, but other sites said I would need more. So I increased the calories manually to 1324; that's the number BMR gave me. Setting the weekly loss to 1/2, it would have been around 1400, so I thought trying it with something between 1200 and 1400.

The first days I've been on 1200, I was a bit over the daily goal, but the weigh in today showed me a great loss. So I think the new goal could work for me.
    Play around and check out what works for you. That's what everybody told me, too.
  • fed157
    fed157 Posts: 1
    Options
    Its hard at first, however, just try to control your portions. It gets easier with time. I hope!
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1200 is way to low you are starving and only hurting your metabolism, check this out :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?page=3#posts-7286756
  • emily_kenyon
    emily_kenyon Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    im doing 1200 cals it is hard at first but you get use to it ive been doing it now for 280 days and lost 43 pounds try it and ifs its not for you change it you dont want to be unhappy and frustrated good luck :)
  • Jpchavez
    Jpchavez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, calorie counting, and exercise is all dependent on you the individual. That's what I've discovered on my journey. Somethings affect us all the same somethings don't. I did a 40/40/20 split of protein, fats, and carbs while limiting my calorie count to 1200. I lost about 16lbs in 3 weeks. While working out at least 2-3 times a week. Only doing cardio and interval training. The following week my wife showed me myfitnesspal and I went by everything it gave me and was eating more because I was going with my net calories. I noticed I wasn't losing as fast. I've picked up my training and still wasn't able to lose as fast.

I figure a couple of things have happened. 1. My metabolism has slowed by eating such a low calorie count. 2. eating more calories has slowed the weight loss process. For the next week I decided to up my calories to 1600 to boost up my metabolism. Starting today I am going back to 1200 calories to see how that works.

It's all a game and I'm enjoying it. You have to tweak things constantly if something isn't working after about a week adjust your workout, adjust your intake, don't let it become stagnant.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    i have 1200 a day also and i have found it hard at the start but i have learned since then (2.5weeks) what foods go futher and what fills you up

feel free to add me :-)
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have been at 1200 since the beginning of this journey. I do not find it hard to stay under. And every couple of weeks I have a day that I go over, but I try to do it with healthier options.

Number of calories, amount of exercise and overall plan of action is unique to each person. I don't advice anyone to do a certain plan. You have to do what is right for you and your body.

And when in doubt, consult your physician.

Wishing you great success in your journey to a healthier you. :flowerforyou:
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Seems like 1200 calories is too low. What do you think? Just started this week and I am having a hard time keeping my calories that low.

Depends on your weight... If you're heavy then you especially need to start off with more so you have somewhere to drop to when you plateau. I'm 177lb and on 1305kcal (worked out from http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/)

If you exercise you'll also gain more calories that you can eat if you need to (don't eat them all though as MFP tends to over estimate your burn) x
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Im doing the same diet! :) 1200 calories a day. It is hard in the beginning, but your body will adjust. I am on my second week with this diet, and i hardly get hungry during the day. Try to have snacks in the middle of your meals, so that you don't feel like your starving! I lost 2.5 lbs in my first week! :) Best of luck!

Exactly, snacks are the key. I do almonds or peanuts as they are more filling. You should find things that fill you up. Look for things higher in fiber and protein and lower in sugar. Drink water as fruit juice, soda and sports drinks can suck down all you calories. I, for the first time in my life, am never hungry.

Now keep in mind, I am 5'4 and weigh 197. If you are 6 feet and weigh 350 lbs or work out every day, you may very well need more calories. :-)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Hm is this a diet or lifestyle change for you? I hate the word diet because diets to me means deprivation. People on diets lose weight quite rapidly but have you ever heard of someone keeping it off for the rest of their life? No, because it doesn't happen, they resort back to their old ways. 1,200 sounds like it could potentially make you ill, and that is the last thing you want right? I'm not a doctor I know that but it's all about balance, food wise and exercise wise too. Every body is different and different bodies need different intakes in order function properly. Only you know your body.

Tasha
    xxx