Just running or running +......

Options
Is only running going to get me to my goal ( along with healthy calorie counting)? I plan on doing weights as I get closer to my goal but I still have a long ways. I'm wondering if anyone has "just" ran to their goal, or if I have to add in different work outs?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    doing weights NOW will help preserve muscle mass. not doing them and being on a high calorie deficit will cause them to be used up and waste away..

not having muscle mass causes what is commonly known as skinny fat. it doesnt matter how small you get, you can still have a lot of body fat. muscle helps to fill you out..and gives us that 'toned' look or muscle definition.

doing all things in conjunction with each other gets us to that fit level and ideal body composition. weights, cardio and maybe stretching (its still in debate) together will get you were you want to be..a healthy fit body. not just a skinny body.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Personally, I combine cardio with resistance training!
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this. I wanted to add running to my routine along with yoga a few times a week (a type of resistance training). Seems like after all the reading I've done, that it is a good combo.
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok instead of focusing on just running, I'll try running 3 times a week, Jillian's meltdown yoga or shred twice and I go to regular yoga once a week!
  • invadergrimm
    Options
    Personally, I run every day because eventually I'd like to get in to distance races and whatnot. I haven't started strength training at all. From just running and calorie counting, I've dropped 10 lbs in a little over a month. Running burns calories and helps build calf, thigh and butt muscles. But I do recommend combining running with some sort of resistance or strength training. :)
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Recently I've started weight training. However, I lost my initial 30+ pounds by tracking what I ate in MFP and runnng 5x/week. I started running 10 miles/week last August and I'm now averaging 20+ miles/week.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I started exercising to help my weight loss in December ( was just losing based on diet mainly before )... I started off doing 30ds and that was going fine, but then decided to do C25K and pick up running. Well, I found that 30ds + running was a good combo (and the occasional yoga meltdown) I have recently started doing 4 days a week of actual strength training (following Jamie Eason's Livefit found on bodybuilding.com) and still running, but doing less of it - so as not to overwork my body. In the month of february I found I had a much more noticeable change in my body doing this than I had in december or january. So my vote is for strength training :)