Pro-recovery, anyone?

Hi,

I'm looking for people to add who are pro-recovery. I have EDNOS and am on MFP to 1) lose the weight I gained from binging and 2) learn more about healthy eating (I was, perhaps still am, astonishingly clueless about food).

My issues showed themselves a few years ago - I suppose I've always been a binger, but when I decided to lose my weight (I had quite a lot to lose) I very quickly began restricting my calories more and more, and a successful day for me was about 500 cals. I managed for over a year, then unsurprisingly the binger in me came back full force. I got stuck in a starve / binge cycle for ages, then when I tried to eat normally I managed to stop the starving, but at best I was either eating to maintain or binging. I put on about 40lbs.

Since late January I have been addressing my issues, trying to lose the weight I gained in a healthy way and educating myself about nutrition etc. Because I am trying to lose weight, I am having a really hard time eating the recommended calories because I'm so used to dieting by heavy restriction.

I'm working really hard on this, and am comfortably up to about 1000 calories a day. This week I'm aiming for 1100, and when I'm used to that I'll increase to 1200 etc.

I am trying as best I can, and I've had a lot of support and I'm grateful. I'm still struggling though mainly because I'm not hungry and I really hate eating when I'm not hungry. On the rare days I am, I don't feel bad about eating 1200, but mostly I'm not and a part of me is really kicking myself for eating peanut butter earlier to get my calories over 1000. I feel like I could have easily gone without, so I feel like I've failed.

I *am* doing ok - I do feel like I have more control than I have done for over a year, and I've done really well not binging and I attribute that to eating more and remembering the "everything in moderation" rule that really works for me. And I *am* committed to this, so if you are pro-recovery and kind enough to add me or share some words of wisdom, please don't think in a few weeks I'll disregard what you say and go back to aiming for 500 calories. I truly am doing my best. It is very difficult though, because I have taught myself over 1000 calories is a fail, and I'm having to work on undoing a lot of these negative thoughts.

So, if you're pro-recovery with an ED, or understand a bit more than most, or have anything positive to say then it would be cool if you added me or something. If you have an ED, but aren't ready for recovery and think I'm insane for aiming for 1100 calories, well hell, add me as well because if you're scared like I am about increasing calories, maybe you'll see that increasing calories is "safe" even when it feels like it isn't (I never thought I'd lose weight on 900+ calories a day, and it really surprised me that I could. And so far, on about 1000 calories I am still losing weight, so maybe, if you like, I could support *you*).

One more thing: I've seen a lot of really negative posts about people who eat 1000 calories a day, some people saying people who do are "dumb", "stupid", others saying they want to "slap some sense" into people who do that. Please don't do that on my thread - a lot of people on here don't understand that it is hard to eat more and some people aren't as hungry as they might be, and some people (like me) have a lot of negative feelings about eating more. I'm working hard on this and don't need to be told I'm stupid.

Replies

• Hi!! Please feel free to add me as a friend! I don't have an ED, but I am a medical professional, and I pride myself on being pretty damn non-judgemental. I mean, come on, you freaking rock for putting it all out there!! It sounds like have a really good plan. Are you currently in therapy, or working through this on your own?
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    I think is is beyond amazing that you are aiming towards recovery. I have tried several times to recover (various therapists, hospital stays, medication) without success and would love to support you on your journey and maybe I can learn something about eating normal as well. I do currently suffer from an ED, but my diary is locked with a key so that it won't trigger anyone. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    I think that it is great that you want to be healthy. I do understand how much of a struggle it is to fight an ED and try to lose weight. Feel free to add me if you want. For me this is all about postive reinforcement and encouragement; not beating people down when they are struggling. It takes a strong person to say they are really struggling with something serious like this and need help from others!!!! Congratulations on taking the steps necessary to assist in your own recovery!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hey all,

Yeah I'll definitely be adding you as a friend! I'm pro-recovery but I'm also very squarely not recovered right now. I'm working hard but I'm at the very very very start and I too could use the support and the help.

Lets do this together!
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Thanks, everyone :)

Working on breaking the 1100 calorie barrier! Not so easy getting used to seeing cals over 1000. 1000 seems to be the big one to break.
  • o_delaisse
    (That sent before I finished replying!)

Thanks everyone for adding me as well, I really appreciate it - really really appreciate it. I'm very grateful for the non-judgemental MFPers <3
  • I am recovering from eating disorders as well. I am struggling to recoverfromanorexia, exercise bulimia, and binge eating. I'm here for support, encouragement, even commiserating, when necessary. <3
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Props to you for putting it out there and setting some boundaries.

Not suffering from an ED in the classic sense, but I'm a psychiatrist and (as I tell my patients), "I did not achieve my girlish figure by depriving myself." Not a binge-eater, just paid relatively little attention to the nutritional value of what I put in my mouth, for YEARS. Ironic, given the MD behind my name, no?

I will also applaud you for moving slowly and giving yourself time to adjust to the mental and emotional aspects of bumping your calories. Besides, calorie restriction like you described crushes your metabolism, as I'm sure you know, and that gradual increase is a smart way to go physically, not just mentally.

I do agree that I hope you've got a good doc and a good therapist, and that you're working on finding healthier ways to cope with anxiety and stress. I'm a big advocate for things like meditation, mindfulness, and exercise (in moderation!). Best of luck to you! And if it won't make you panic to see 1600-1800 calorie days in my diary, feel free to add me. ;)
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    I'm pro-recovery. Tuesday the 13th marks the 3rd week I've been using MFP to help with recovering and eating healthily. I had a relapse into anorexia. Trying to get healthy, both mentally and physically. Feel free to add me :)
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Feel free to add me; I struggled with eating disorder issues for 3+ years, mostly purging, but I got help 2 years ago, and even though it's been a bumpy road, my last purge was over 6 months ago.

Even though I've switched to a healthy lifestyle, it's sometimes tempting to slip into old habits, or form new bad ones, like the temptation to restrict now that I'm counting calories. Getting to a healthy place mentally is truly the hardest thing. Good luck <3
  • o_delaisse
    Thanks, adding you now :)