how to avoid stitches when running?

Options
Okay, so pretty much I absolutely LOVE running. I can push through when my legs are on fire no worries, but the thing that gets me is stitches! THOSE I HAVE to slow down for! I really want to do a 5k but I can't when I can't go 10 minutes without ending up with this massive stitch.

Can anyone give me any advice? (:

Replies

• xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is anything to do with it - but drink plenty of water before you go out for a run!!

I get stitches all the time when i go out for a jog, and i have to stop and walk most of the way, which spoils it sooo much because i could carry on running forever! I read on a topic a while ago, that plenty of fluids will help to prevent stitches whilst jogging. Soo before i go for a jog, even if its just for 10 mins i drink about 3 glasses of water! :) and i dont get stitches anymore x
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I also agree with drinking lots of water! I've found that as long as I am well hydrated I don't get stitches at all.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Generally it is attributed to a shallow breathing pattern or a posture issue (leaning forward can place too much core pressure).

Sometimes it helps if you feel it coming on to raise your hands in the air (waving them around like you just don't care is optional). But skyward like trying to stretch as long as you can can relieve it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I was told years ago stitches are caused by an internal ligament that helps support your liver being stretched when you run, and that it is all about gait. If you run to a steady beat, you don't get a stitch.

Now I appreciate this may be absolute rubbish, it sounds like it to me, and I haven't bothered looking into it, as I don't care that much! but I have to say that since working on making my gait steadier, I have never had a stitch.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Generally it is attributed to a shallow breathing pattern or a posture issue (leaning forward can place too much core pressure).

Sometimes it helps if you feel it coming on to raise your hands in the air (waving them around like you just don't care is optional). But skyward like trying to stretch as long as you can can relieve it.

Will defs try! Thanks!

If it is a posture issue does that mean it could be my scoliosis attributing to it? :S
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was also told stitches were caused by too little air entering the lungs, caused by shallow breathing - when I feel one coming on, I take long deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth and it stops it every time!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Will defs try! Thanks!

If it is a posture issue does that mean it could be my scoliosis attributing to it? :S

It could be, You should def ask your physio next time you have to be there. But I know you are working on core strength so that should really help :)
  • xSophia19
    Options
    Also another thing - make sure you do stretches before you go out and run! That always helps me :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Also another thing - make sure you do stretches before you go out and run! That always helps me :)
    Okie dokie.. but make sure you only do dynamic not static stretches before kay girlie?!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Generally a few things can cause it. One is fitness level. Two is hydration level. The third is an erratic breathing pattern. Sounds like one and two are covered. Breathing wise relax and find a nice relaxed breathing cadence to fall into.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    Okie dokie.. but make sure you only do dynamic not static stretches before kay girlie?!

lol yeah :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

lol yeah :)

good girl! static stretching can actually reduce your performance during activity if done beforehand!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Generally a few things can cause it. One is fitness level. Two is hydration level. The third is an erratic breathing pattern. Sounds like one and two are covered. Breathing wise relax and find a nice relaxed breathing cadence to fall into.

okay yeah i'd say it's number 3, thanks :)
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    For me it used to be bad breathing, too. So my friend who is a runner suggested to find a good pattern that works for you. For me it was three breaths in through the nose and three out throgh the mouth. All in sync with the steps I made. Maybe you could try that?
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana 1-2 hours before. I notice a difference if I forget

http://youtu.be/NEPZWtvVMKU

http://youtu.be/AuzyODgWRp4
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I always stretch very well before and after and pace my breathing every three times my left foot hits. I don't really have a problem with it anymore.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from runnersworld.com that may help....

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2009/08/how-do-i-get-rid-of-side-stitches.html