Girl Runners interested in a Challenge?

Options
I was inspired by someone's blog post today. A few MFP'ers did a challenge with biking: Who could bike 100 miles in first!

Well, I need an encouraging "fire under my butt" challenge. So I'm putting out a call for runners! I love to run but with my autoimmune issues, sometimes its hard for me to always be motivated. While I'm not opposed for real experts to join us on this one, just know that I'm not the best out there (so you will be a shoe in to beat me! Ha ha!)

I propose we take one week and see who can run the farthest. Seven days. How many miles can you run? Does anyone have a different suggestion? I just need help getting inspired and someone for accountability!

Replies

• dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested, but can we have a few days to get ready? Like say starting on Sunday (so then it's an easy day to remember)?
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd be in for that! But I second the motion to start on Sunday! Sounds like a great idea!
  • Taradactyyl
    Options
    Yeah! Sunday sounds great! I'm going to friend request the two of you!
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join in on this challenge! I am training for my first race ever (a half marathon) and I have troubles pushing myself to finish my long runs.
    Let me know!!!
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!!! Add me please! I just finished the C25k yesterday, I run a 5k tomorrow and I would love to keep the momentum going. What do they say strike while the iron's hot, lol.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having a % completion of your goal - and don't make it soft. Just pure mileage run won't be too fair or motivating to some people. we are all at different places running wise.
  • Taradactyyl
    Options
    How do we want to figure that out?

Let's post goals tomorrow that are suitable to our pace but a bit of a challenge. I of course want to be fair however, its needs to be a challenge/motivational at the same time.

Or would it be better to just choose a set amount of miles? I really want to do this but I don't want to be concerned about percentages or leaving people out...thoughts?
  • divasoofly
    Options
    Ok, I can comfortably run 3 miles 4 days a week which equals 12 miles. I can challenge myself to either doing 20 miles this week or doing the 3 miles possibly at a faster pace. I completed my 5k race today @ 44:37; as a result, I would love to do better with my time or maybe doing it in under 42 minutes.
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    Ok, I can comfortably run 3 miles 4 days a week which equals 12 miles. I can challenge myself to either doing 20 miles this week or doing the 3 miles possibly at a faster pace. I completed my 5k race today @ 44:37; as a result, I would love to do better with my time or maybe doing it in under 42 minutes.

Be careful about bumping your mileage up from 12 to 20 in one week. Most training programs recommend you increase your mileage by no more than 10% each week, but you're talking about a 60% increase in one week. You're significantly increasing your chances of injuring yourself by trying to progress too quickly.
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    You can count me in. I'm training for a half marathon in May, but this coming week is a taper week for me since I'm running a 5K on the 17th, so my mileage will be lower this coming week than it was this week. I should log about 10 miles from March 11th through March 17th, and my goal for my 5K is under 40 minutes.
  • divasoofly
    Options

Be careful about bumping your mileage up from 12 to 20 in one week. Most training programs recommend you increase your mileage by no more than 10% each week, but you're talking about a 60% increase in one week. You're significantly increasing your chances of injuring yourself by trying to progress too quickly.
  • divasoofly
    Options
    Thanks for that but I sometimes maybe twice a week already run almost 5 miles, if not five, so it's wouldn't be soo much of a stretch. As I said, I can concentrate on increasing my mileage for all the week or making better time with my 5k. Whichever choice you choose is fine by me. Today is my running rest day, especially since I ran the 5k yesterday so I will resume my running on M,W, F, and Sun. I am ready for the challenge because it's going to totally keep me from cheating myself.
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm challenging myself to run 15 miles total this week [a little over 2 miles a day]