Low calorie side dish ideas that don't include potatoes, pas

Options
Any ideas??? I'm sick of eating salad every night with dinner and I'm finding it difficult to come up with side dish ideas. I try not to eat much rice or pasta but I do have potatoes at least once a week. :happy:

Replies

• ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    cauliflower rice! it looks like rice but has minimal calories in it. Baked cauliflower with cottage cheese

zucchini, beans (not refried), mm let me think more :D
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Quinoa - anyway you want to make. I like quinoa and a fat free cream based soup and frozen veggies baked like a caserole.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    *sings* vegetables.

New and snazzy ways to zazz the up seem to be well hidden, I've taken to always ordering veg on the side at restaurants and then reverse engineering how they were prepped for ideas. (Steamed and drizzled in lemon juice always seems to work).
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    cauliflower rice! it looks like rice but has minimal calories in it. Baked cauliflower with cottage cheese

Is cauliflower rice something you make or buy? Or is it just shearing the tops off the cauliflower? I think cauliflower is awesome BTW - a Vege but very close to a carb in so many ways.

Also, can you expand on the baked cauliflower with cottage cheese? Sounds great too!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I like omelettes...and stir frys. You can make pizza with cauliflower and also mashed cauliflower is yummy.
    We have sweet potatoes sometimes.

Good luck
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    roasted vegetables.
    sauteed vegetables
    mashed vegetables
    beans
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yams.

Brown rice.

Quinoa is good... I second that one.

Brown rice couscous

Baked squash.

Steamed greens.

Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, cabbage, sauerkraut, ...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Any kind of vegetable or combination of them. Spinach, asparagus, artichokes, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc, etc. Look up recipes for steaming, roasting, grilling, or baking different vegetables and try them out. You'll find things you like.

One of my favorite quick sides is to saute some fresh spinach in a little olive oil with garlic.

I don't like salads, so I almost never have them. Too many other great ways to eat my veggies. :smile:
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks everybody! Keep 'em coming, please!
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Is cauliflower rice something you make or buy? Or is it just shearing the tops off the cauliflower? I think cauliflower is awesome BTW - a Vege but very close to a carb in so many ways.

Also, can you expand on the baked cauliflower with cottage cheese? Sounds great too!

Hi Peta

here is the link to the discussion on cauliflower rice - you make it from the tops. It sounds great but I haven't tried it yet. I met to the fruit/veg shop today & forgot to buy cauliflower to give this idea a try. Doh!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447445-want-a-25-calorie-per-cup-replacement-for-rice
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    What I did for dinner tonight (would work great as a side dish too): Half a bag of frozen spinach, 1/4 cup of low fat ricotta cheese, 1 tbsp of parmesean cheese, a little bit of nutmeg (optional). Puree it in a blender. Pour it over roasted broccoli, top with walnuts, and broil until it's all toasty.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Definitely Quinoa, esp if you feel like something filling but better for you than pasta/rice. So easy too, just rince it, then boil with double the quantity of water for 15 mins. Add a bit of stock if you prefer. I like to mix in chopped coriander/cilantro and lime juice with mine. Freezes well in portions too.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love to just sautee up some favorite veggies. I toss in a tsp or so of Worcestershire sauce and a tad of garlic. I generally like zucchini, onions, bell peppers, and matchstick carrots. Add whatever seasonings you want and make a yummy, fresh, and filling side dish. I also make a big plate of this for lunch with a couple fried egg whites over top for less than 200 calories.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love slicing up veges and baking them without oil to make "crisps"... Carrot, parsnip, sweet potato (yams). Also I love grilling capsicum, tomatoes. Throw some mixed herbs over the top and its yummy!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    grilled tomatoes
  • pinkess
    pinkess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cous cous and butternut squash mash are the two that i eat a lot.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash or lentils
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Portion Control. If you make sure it fits into your day you can have potatoes. I usually bake a small potato (4-6 oz) only.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Hi Peta

here is the link to the discussion on cauliflower rice - you make it from the tops. It sounds great but I haven't tried it yet. I met to the fruit/veg shop today & forgot to buy cauliflower to give this idea a try. Doh!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447445-want-a-25-calorie-per-cup-replacement-for-rice

Thanks so much Tammi :) I've copied the recipe and I'll definitely be trying it soon!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like to bake asparagus. Just spray them with a bit of Pam and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Bake at 375 for 15 min. or so depending on how you like them. (This also works well with sliced turnips, parsnips, kohlrabi, carrots or all or them mixed together.)