Feet Overheating During Runs

Options
secoke
secoke Posts: 69 Member
I'm finally able to complete 3 to 3.5 mile runs (on the treadmill) but my feet have been getting really hot! I wear under armor socks because I thought that would make a difference but they still feel like they are on fire, any suggestions?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    what kind of shoes?
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yeah. The shoes may be an issue (if they don't allow enough air flow). However, the socks may be the problem too. I am not familiar with underarmor socks, but if they are thin like their clothes are, the socks may be too thin. Thin socks cause extra friction which generate heat. Are you getting blisters? If so, maybe switch to thicker socks? They will absorb sweat and prevent blisters. They will also have less friction...
    Congrats on getting up to 3.5 miles!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Well there are a few possible culprits here. One is that some shoes will give you "hot spots" on your feet. This just means the pair of shoes isn't for you. It rubs you in the wrong places. Solution is to go to a running specialty store and get fitted for new shoes or find orthodics that address the situation. Another is that the shoe you are wearing isn't designed for running and has poor ventilation. Again you're headed towards a new pair of shoes. You could also try running sockless. I do this mostly because I race sockless and try to train like I race, but I find my feet are much less prone to overheating without socks.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you enough how good shoes will help out! I have recently gotten some Asics, and now when I run, as soon as my feet start feeling hot I begin to feel a miraculous breeze around my piggies as the ventilation gets to work - it was such an odd sensation but I loved it lol :)
  • secoke
    secoke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I would have not thought that too thin socks would have been an issue! I'm currently running with Asics but I guess it could be worth it to check out a running shoe store, now I just need to find one in Germany!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My new magic running shoes are Asics :) Definitely worth a sock check as well then!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I swear by my Asics Nimbus 11, I love them! Feet never get too hot and it feels like your running on a cloud.

My bad boys right here : http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009/05/asics-gel-nimbus-11-running-shoes-review/
  • kbown
    kbown Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I run outside and occasionally on a treadmill. I went to Lady Footlocker and they helped me choose a pair of Asics (sp?) running shoes. They have a breathable mesh and are great when I go running.
  • etvilchuck
    etvilchuck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did you ever find any relief?I have been running for a long time but lately, my feet are incredibly hot when running. It's NOT the shoe, I've tried every sock imaginable and I've tried going without socks (only to end up with very bad blisters). There's got to be an answer.
  • KelliB3
    KelliB3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been doing most of my running outside lately to take advantage of the hot weather but the past few times I've gotten a blister on my left foot and my left foot as gone completely numb about 3/4 of the way through my run... not really sure what the deal is with that but I'm hoping new shoes will take care of it...
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I've been doing most of my running outside lately to take advantage of the hot weather but the past few times I've gotten a blister on my left foot and my left foot as gone completely numb about 3/4 of the way through my run... not really sure what the deal is with that but I'm hoping new shoes will take care of it...

My guess would be with the heat, your feet are probably swelling causing the blisters and the numbness. When you get new shoes get shoes with a bigger toe box (and 1/2 to a full size bigger than you would normally wear), and as for the numbness, try lacing your shoes a lot looser. I have a foot numbness problem also, I went through the new shoes, new socks, new lacing technique and even got compressions socks..nothing works..so I just deal with it. But since you are also getting blisters I would guess it is a shoe problem for you.
  • KelliB3
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the info! Might have to resort to mini ice packs in my shoes :)
  • KelliB3
    Options
    Bought some Asics yesterday along with some Adidas climacool socks - totally solved my problem! The socks having venting in them as well as the shoes. I ran outside in the sun yesterday afternoon to test them out and it was the first time I had no blisters or numbness in months. Plus they were just super comfy shoes and put a little extra bounce in my step!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My feet are prone to heating, sweating and eczema. I've found that getting the right shoes (New Balance) and socks (Asics) has helped increase proper ventilation and reduce friction. Its helped quite a bit, but I think my feet will always heat up no matter what!