When should i start strength training?

Options
I have alot of weight to lose and since ive started excersizing ive only been doing cardio and was wondering if i should be doing.strength training as well or wait till i have lost most of the weight ...i have about 180 to lose

Replies

• VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I want to know the same thing! I wish someone would reply to this :[
  • Farhanum
    Farhanum Posts: 13
    Options
    If you do both cardio and strength training in your workout sessions, you'd significantly increase the amount of calories you burn.. Building muscle also increases the amount of kcal you burn... So I suggest you start weight training too!

Just make sure the majority of your workout sessions still consist of cardio! :wink:
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When?

Yesterday.

Seriously, if your goal is to minimize muscle loss while losing fat, there is no reason to wait.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday, at the latest.

New Rules of Lifting for Women rocks!
  • Vanessa_lilia
    Options
    Ok thanks just wasnt sure ive heard to start with cardio so wanted to ask mfp since this is such an amazing site ill start adding that to my workouts
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Just make sure the majority of your workout sessions still consist of cardio! :wink:

There's no reason the majority of your workouts should be cardio. That's personal preference.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, plain and simple, how you create that deficit is up to you. If you prefer to do cardio to create that deficit, fine, if not, you can still create a deficit by eating less. Weight lifting workouts burn calories also, albeit generally not as much.

While you're in a calorie deficit, if you don't want too much of your weight loss to come from muscle (which most of us don't), weight lifting helps to retain that muscle mass.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Now.

Or preferably last week.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Now-ish, do a mix of both :happy:
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody. Strength training is so important and the sooner you start it the better. I started my weight loss off just doing cardio. I did lose weight just fine. However, when I started really getting into strength training is when I really started seeing and feeling a difference in my body. I feel strong and that is an amazing feeling. I just didn't get that with Cardio.
  • Farhanum
    Farhanum Posts: 13
    Options

There's no reason the majority of your workouts should be cardio. That's personal preference.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, plain and simple, how you create that deficit is up to you. If you prefer to do cardio to create that deficit, fine, if not, you can still create a deficit by eating less. Weight lifting workouts burn calories also, albeit generally not as much.

While you're in a calorie deficit, if you don't want too much of your weight loss to come from muscle (which most of us don't), weight lifting helps to retain that muscle mass.

Agreed, but the majority of workouts should remain cardio in my opinion due to the fact that if too little time is spent on cardio then not only will the rate at which one loses wieght decrease, but one might even start to look bigger.
    Muscle under fat just gives a bigger appearance. :bigsmile:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Now more than ever.