On metformin

Options
hello,
My name is Susanne I was wondering if there is anyone on here that can shed some light on a drug called Metformin. It is used to lower blood sugar and weight loss. Right now my sugar is low so my DR has me on it for weight loss. Except... I have noticed lately that if I follow a very good diet with a balance of carbs and vegtables and low sugar I don't lose weight. When I don;t watch and eat badly I lose is this drug for people who don't watch and still need to lose? I am confused. If someone could please shed some light on it that would be great.

Replies

• lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I took metformin for a while for pcos and I HATE IT. The side effects are awful. The drug is kind of like ali to me. The carbs get excavated from your body hence the weight loss. That was how it worked for me at least
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello.. I have been on metformin on and off for about 4 years now..It really is a miracle drug for me.. I stopped getting my period all together when I dont take my metformin..I have really bad insulin resistance and I also have pcos. Metformin is the only drug out there that is for insulin resistance people that doesn't cause major weight gain... without metformin I'm not sure if my cycles would ever be regular enough to get pregnant..I find that if I eat high sugar one day that it will cause me to have bathroom issues as well the next day. If I eat a well balanced diet while I'm on metformin I dont have any issues. If your consuming alot of high sugar or high calorie foods while taking metformin it is not uncommon to exsperience diarria...good luck & it takes time for the medication to get into your system and to adjust to it.
  • Kelly50054
    Kelly50054 Posts: 141
    Options
    My daughter was on it because she wasn't having periods and wanted to have children and for weight loss. That was nothing shy of a joke.
    It did nothing for her, but make her very sick.
    Honestly I do not understand dr's these days. They love pushing pills down people's throats.
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for the insite. I don't know anyone on it. I have experienced some of the things you are talking about. I will keep it all imn mind.
  • pumpkinisland
    Options
    I have insulin resistance, that is why my Dr put me on it. Crazy side effects for me, made me so sick and felt terrible all the time on it! I don't have PCOS, but have not had any luck trying to have children, so that was the other reason my Dr prescribed it. I didn't lose any weight while on it...for me I hate it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am taking Metformin for my Type 2 Diabetes, I have had no side effects from it what so ever... It was paired up with Glucotrol at the beginning (diagnosed in 2009 with A1c of 10.0) Now the Glucotrol would cause me to have really low blood sugars if I wasn't watching what I was eating or what stretches between meals. (BS as low as in the 40's) when I got taken off the glucotrol my symptoms cleared up... I am still on 2000 mg. of Metformin a day. I was told by my Endo that when you get full blown Diabetes you burn up half your receptors in your Pancreas and the Metformin is used as a protector of your remaining receptors.. The longer your pancreas can function halfway normally the longer you can avoid going on insulin.. My A1c now are pre-diabetic at 5.3.... My Endo Dr. said some people may notice some weightloss being on it but I contribute my weightloss to hardwork and my total lifestyle change..... Good Luck............
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow! that is really great to hear! So are you just on Metformin or still gluctrol? After taking Metformin and losing 10 pounds my a1c was 5.3 I hope I never need to go on insulin. Thanks for the info.