P90X

Options
Okay, I'm very overweight and far from being in shape. My DH bought P90X a couple of months ago and it's collecting dust. We haven't even put it in the DVD player, my excuse, I'm scared. Is it extremely hard? Can I adapt it to what I can do, please help.

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Is it extremely hard.... hehe.... yes. DH and I have it and he is 5'7 and 160 pounds, in pretty good shape and VERY winded when we're done. I lasted about 10 minutes and realized I needed something else to start with. It does give you typically 3 'levels' for each exercise, but even level one is hard for me since I'm about 70 pounds overweight.

The weight training is GREAT though, and the plan is great. If you have the dedication and discipline to stick with it then go you!

What I might suggest is just popping it in and watching one of the DVDs (not participating) all the way through. If you feel comfortable, then try it. And you don't have to push yourself, they let you do exactly what you feel you are capable of with teeeeeeeny breaks to write stuff down.

Good luck if you decide to do it and congratulations for getting it in the first place!
  • lovinlife581
    lovinlife581 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm very overweight and far from being in shape. My DH bought P90X a couple of months ago and it's collecting dust. We haven't even put it in the DVD player, my excuse, I'm scared. Is it extremely hard? Can I adapt it to what I can do, please help.
    Hi Sara.

There is a fitness test that should be included with your purchase. Take the test and see whether you're ready for it. It is an extreme fitness program and Beachbody does have others you can start with. But if you want to jump right in with P90X, you can adapt it - and they encourage you to do so - to your current abilities.

There are some coaches on the "P90X...staring a new thread...part 9" thread here on MFP and, of course, at Beachbody.com. Good luck and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    How did I miss that fitness test? :laugh: Now I'm curious - off to try. :drinker:
  • lovinlife581
    Options
    Here is the link...
    http://teambeachbody.com/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=f9e53d48-c3f2-4b25-96d4-23f8f015c372&groupId=10137
    You'll probably need to cut and paste it into your browser. Don't think the links are clickable on the message boards. Let me know if that works.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'm going to try the test! Like I said it's collecting dust, it got here and the guy on there is annoying to me so I didn't really want to do it, but my mute button works:wink:
  • lovinlife581
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'm going to try the test! Like I said it's collecting dust, it got here and the guy on there is annoying to me so I didn't really want to do it, but my mute button works:wink:
    Oh, I think he's hysterical! I've been doing it for a couple months now and I still laugh at the jokes. :laugh:

Anyway, glad I could help. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • celticmatrix
    Options
    Even if you're not up to that fitness level, adaption is the key! I started doing an extremely modified version of it when my doctor cleared me to resume exercise after my C-section - meaning some routines were completely out of the question, and the rest were modified to suit my physical abilities. After almost 5 months I can actually do most of the routines without the modifications - but must admit I still get pretty winded at times...

I agree with an earlier post by lovinlife - you definitely need to listen to your body and not overdo it!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

I was very overweight when I embarked on P90X. I am the type of person that get frustrated when I can't do something so instead of trying and failing then giving up I started with Power90. It's a scaled back version of P90X and gets you in great shape to tackle the beast. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Beachbody Coach Laddyboy