Benefits of protein shakes? And recipes

Options
5ladybugs
5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
I love shakes. I make them with a ton of frozen fruit, with just water or water an some yogurt.
Ive been thinking of protein shakes but want to know what the main benefits are with weight loss? And some great homemade recipes!

Replies

• shaeni1221
    Options
    my favorite one...

1 cup skim milk
    1 banana
    2 tbs Jif natural peanut butter
    1 tbs fat free vanilla ciobani greek yogurt
    1/2 scoop vanilla flavored whey protein powder
    2 ice cubes
    1 tsp hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder

I love it and it really fills me up!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    After my week of vacation I may resort to a few days of protein shakes to get back to normal ;). My favorite, found here on MFP:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup milk - I use 1%
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tbsp cheesecake pudding powder
    Dash of vanilla extract
    Handful of ice cubes

Can't taste the cottage cheese at all and super high in protein. Can also use chocolate pudding powder and /or frozen strawberries or whatever sounds good to you.
  • chip305
    chip305 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

1/2 C Cottage Cheese - 1%
    1 C Unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    3 packets equal
    3 T instant coffee crystals
    1/4 tsp guar gum
    ice

I blend this up in the morning and it keeps me satisfied until lunch.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    mmm tasty bump
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • 5ladybugs
    Options
    Wow those look yummy! Anyone use base of fruit rather than milk? Also what is the benefit? Do you have it as a snack or meal?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Frozen Cherries + Frozen Spinach/kale + Peanut Butter + Milk + Protein Powder + Sweetener (or a Black Cherry Emergen-C packet) (optionally add cocoa powder)

Dole Immunity Blend (Frozen pineapples, mangoes, strawberries) + Milk + Spinach/kale + Protein Powder + Sweetener (or Emergen-C Tropical)

Those are the two I like the most. You can add chia seeds or ground flax seeds to pretty much any smoothie recipe. You can substitute juice (when I do, I like V-8 Fusion juices or OJ) in pretty much any smoothie.
  • MzVonda
    MzVonda Posts: 87
    Options
    I have to say that I am loving the body by vi 90 day challenge (www.determinedanddedicated.myvi.net/challenge) and their protein shakes my ALL time favorite shake is:

2 scoops of the Vi Shape Mix
    8 oz almond milk
    1 tbsp Jello Oreo pudding mix
    1 tbsp Jello Cheesecake pudding mix
    5 ice cubes
    ....blend all together....YUMMMY!!!!
  • loseramy68
    loseramy68 Posts: 102
    Options
    My favorite so far is a simple one: Chocolate whey protein, 1 tbsp PB2, and 1 cup Blue Diamond 40 calorie almond milk. If it's a snack, I'll use just my regular protein powder with not many calories/fat. If it's a meal replacement, I'll use a protein powder with more calories and vitamins.
  • bybybelly
    bybybelly Posts: 56
    Options
    Vi protein powder, almond milk, chocolate health mix in, banana, and ice = Banana Split!

Vi protein powder, 50 Cal OJ, banana, frozen strawberries, and ice = Orange Julius

Vi protein powder, almond milk, chocolate health mix in, peanutbutter, and ice = Reese Peanutbutter Cup

These are a few recipes I can remember off the top of my head. But I have tons:)

I think Body by Vi is the best protein powder. Vitamins that you get are awesome and its the mix that smells and tastes like cake.

Msg. me if you want more info @ bybybelly
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to get fat, kill a fat loss diet, and contribute calories without the side benefits that come with eating. I hate to step into a protein shake love fest and be a major buzz kill but protein has the same caloric value as pure sugar (4 cal/gm). Drinking your meal involves no mastication and does not trigger the systemic digestive functions as fully as real food. The result is a low level of appetite suppression and digestive satisfaction. Meal replacement drinks and protein supplements are a bad idea for those interested in optimal nutrition and/or fat loss. Of course, they're a quick and easy way to get some nourishment in your gut and can be very tasty as long as they're not loaded with supplements (which should be avoided according to all US health agencies).

It's worth mentioning that we need all of our macronutrients and there is nothing special about protein. We need fats and carbs as well not to mention fiber and micronutrients. A basic hunter/gatherer meal is the ideal way to get nutrition.

Just keepin' it real, people.

Good luck and good health!!

• 5ladybugs
    Options
    That's interesting, thank you. I want honest opinions. I love smoothies. It have never added protein which is the reason for this topic, I'm curious.
    10036 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just made this one up, and it's really yum.

PUMPKIN SPICE PROTEIN SHAKE
    1 scoop Vanilla whey protein powder (JM)
    2 tbsp canned pumpkin
    some nutmeg
    some cinnamon (not quite a tsp I think for spices)
    (you can omit the spices if you have spiced canned pumpkin that already has them)
    3 oz plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup coconut milk (I have Vanilla flavor)
    A bunch of ice

This is like 210 cals with 24g protein. I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm not sure if that's reasonable, but it's pretty tasty!
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time to eat breakfast so I have a shake most work days. I typically do - frozen fruit (banana, mixed berries, peaches,strawberries, etc) almond milk, spinach, chia seeds, plain protein powder. If I don't use banana or a sweet fruit I will add a tiny bit of honey.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Wow those look yummy! Anyone use base of fruit rather than milk? Also what is the benefit? Do you have it as a snack or meal?
    I make mine without milk -

1 banana
    1/4 cup Trader Joe's 100% tropical juice (totally optional, but I love the flavor it gives!), or water
    1/2 - 1 cup crushed ice
    1/2 - 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder (depends on that day's workout whether I go for the whole scoop or not)
    A couple of big handfuls of raw spinach

Sometimes I add strawberries or blueberries, depends on what fruit I have around. I have also added plain greek yogurt, but it's not necessary. And I have this as much lunch several times a week. It's very filling!
  • Spunky50
    Spunky50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good smoothie ideas!!
  • c2jvintage
    c2jvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have two that are fabulous...

Pumpkin Pie- 2 Scoops Aria Vanilla Protein powder, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 cup regular coconut milk, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, dash of cinnamon, dash of vanilla, and a few ice cubes

Chocolate PB Coffee- 5 Coffee ice cubes, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon JIF natural PB, and 1 Scoop of NNW Chocolate milk whey powder
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to get fat, kill a fat loss diet, and contribute calories without the side benefits that come with eating. I hate to step into a protein shake love fest and be a major buzz kill but protein has the same caloric value as pure sugar (4 cal/gm). Drinking your meal involves no mastication and does not trigger the systemic digestive functions as fully as real food. The result is a low level of appetite suppression and digestive satisfaction. Meal replacement drinks and protein supplements are a bad idea for those interested in optimal nutrition and/or fat loss. Of course, they're a quick and easy way to get some nourishment in your gut and can be very tasty as long as they're not loaded with supplements (which should be avoided according to all US health agencies).

It's worth mentioning that we need all of our macronutrients and there is nothing special about protein. We need fats and carbs as well not to mention fiber and micronutrients. A basic hunter/gatherer meal is the ideal way to get nutrition.

Just keepin' it real, people.

Good luck and good health!!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in a whole food diet, but I have a question. Aren't all carbs and protein 4cal/g?
    I do agree with the digestion and satiety factor, but I'm confused on "supplements". I do know that some whey compounds do include glutamine, arganine and various precursors, but there are also alot of whey proteins that only have the typical BCAA profile that you would find in any other protein source. As I said I am a proponent of eating my meals instead of drinking them, but honestly I do not see whey protein as a "diet killer" or straightest route to the fat highway. Just my opinion. Carry on.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this one is up here yet

1 cup of spinach
    5 strawberries
    1/2 banana
    1 cup almond milk
    1 stevia packet
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 scoop of whey protein Pure Protein
    Blend, pour and enjoy!