Frustrated and trying to not give up on myself

Options
Wow, I'm totally frustrated and beginning to feel very desperate. I've been a MFP member for several weeks now and while I'm not consistent with my tracking, I have really been trying. I'm eating better and going to kickboxing or boxing class (Title Boxing Club) three times a week. I was traveling last week (Wed-Fri) and actually felt pretty good about my weekly progress before I left and my food choice while traveling. Only to come home and see that I gained 5 pounds...WTF??!!! I'm so sick and tired of trying of lose weight and killing myself with exercise! I just don't get it! A pound or two I could see....but 5lbs...REALLY????

Replies

• Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Did you stick with tracking while you were traveling? I know it's hard to get online and check things while out and about, sometimes a food sneaks in that you didn't expect would carry such a calorie kick. Did you drink alcohol while traveling? That can be a big downfall. Or are you nearing that time of the month? Even if not water retention could explain 5lbs easily. Balancing calories is well but if you have had a high sodium intake the water will stick around.

What is your weekly "goal" for weightloss? Is it possible you are pushing yourself too hard to reach your goal too fast? It's very hard to change life long habits, pushing yourself beyond a comfort level you can maintain will only work for so long before you crack (as it sounds like you are now).

In general the faster the weight comes off, the faster the weight will come back. A slow, maintainable, balanced eating and workout plan you will be able to stick with long term will accomplish more in the end.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple weeks. Be consistent. Back when I was doing a half-*kitten* job of logging (but thinking my food choices were good) I couldn't lose a pound (even gained a few). MFP works, but here's the catch: You must log. Every bite. Every sip. Every day. Give it 100% for a few weeks, and report back. You may be surprised.

Oh, and I cannot stress enough how important it is to weigh/measure your food. I was SHOCKED at the realization of what a serving size of most things actually is.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed is if I have a couple bad days and see a big gain it usually comes off pretty quick once I get back on track. Get back to tracking everything and working out and I bet you'll see a loss soon.