Considering getting JM's 30 Day Shred, but

I wanted to hear the results that those of the MFP community have gotten from it.

Two years ago (when I was 17), I was 180lbs at 5ft5, and started working out. I'm down to 128-130lbs now from doing mostly cardio exercises and counting calories. So I'm down to a healthy weight and I still exercise regularly, but I don't have those strong muscles and hard body. I have access to a pretty small gym (two treadmills, an elliptical, some weight machines - no free weights or anything), and on my college budget, there's no way for me to consult with a personal trainer or anything like that.

I've been seeing a lot about the 30DS on the forums, but I wanted to get some opinions about what this program will do for strength training (e.g. "toning" :p) and my sad, sad little muscles.

Replies

• julymom
    julymom Posts: 14
    From what I understand, the complete level one is available on you.tube. Why don't you look it up, give it a try, and then decide if you want to purchase the dvd for the other two levels?

I just completed day two of level two and I am really enjoying this dvd. It's hard, but I can see and feel differences already. I'm definitely stronger and more toned than I was when I started twelve days ago.
  • ahipsher
    ahipsher Posts: 46 Member
    Oh, awesome. I'll check that out.

It's hard to know where to start with strength training. I keep seeing the "New Rules for Lifting" book too, but I honestly have 0 access to the equipment I would need for this.
  • julymom
    All you need for the shred is a mat if you're working out on a hard surface, and some hand weights.
  • ahipsher
    I've got a set of hand weights. (:
    And I'm guessing you only need a small area? My university apartment room is teeny-tiny.
  • julymom
    As long as you have enough room to stretch out to do ab exercises on the floor and push-ups! Yup, not much space is needed at all!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    I've got a set of hand weights. (:
    And I'm guessing you only need a small area? My university apartment room is teeny-tiny.

Spot big enough to get on the floor and do crunches or pushps!
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 142 Member
    I'm not a big J. Michaels fan. There are lots of other great instructors - Amy Dixon, Kelly Coffey-Meyers, Billy Banks! I like Bob Harper from Biggest Loser better than Jillian. Anyway, you can probably borrow DVDs from your library to try stuff out. And here's a great website http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow. Lots of videos available. I mix gym work with stuff at home and am doing ok! Doesn't take a lot of money, just the will to create a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck!
  • ahipsher
    I have Bob's Fat Burning Yoga DVD (pilfered from my mom), and I'll admit, he scares me way less than Jillian does.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Its my all time favourite work out! Fantastic for toning up and (in my case) banishing the wobbly bits. We have a group just starting up, feel free to come and join us! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4005-30-day-shreders
  • ahipsher
    Thanks! (:
  • slightner
    slightner Posts: 61 Member
    This really has toned me and strengthened me. I highly recommend it. Within days, I was feeling stronger and seeing results. Its only 20 min so its easy to stick to every day and doesnt take a lot of space or equipment. Its only 9.99 at walmart so its not a huge investment if you dont like it!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 582 Member
    I have Bob's Fat Burning Yoga DVD (pilfered from my mom), and I'll admit, he scares me way less than Jillian does.

I was scared of Jillian until I tried her 30 DS. I love her now! She makes you work hard, but she doesn't yell at you Biggest Loser style. (Haven't watched the show, but have seen clips on Youtube, etc) I was surprised how sincere she was and some of the things she said. Some of my favorites from her Ripped in 30: "Perfect sucks!" "You matter."

I find her actually pretty funny and like how she interacts with the girls in her videos. And, if you think you'd be scared/intimidated by her, put it on mute--because the work out is worth it. I'm doing Insanity with Shaun T right now and adding Ripped in 30 on top of that. Shaun totally kicks my butt, but Jillian's hits different areas. (For me, I feel her workouts more in my arms and shoulders).

tl;dr - get the dvd. you won't be disappointed
  • ahipsher
    Oh, I need somebody yelling at me. I find that I workout harder if I have someone holding me accountable (even if it's somebody yelling at me from the TV), so I'm not terribly intimidated by that. You don't know how much I wish I could actually have her screaming in my ear, haha.

I think I will buy her DVD, but tonight I'll do the Level 1 routine on Youtube.
  • julymom
    Report back to let us know how you liked level one. Good luck!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 811 Member
    I just started it yesterday!! Yesterday, I did Level 1 and found it a little bit easy. So I did Level 2 today and it's pretty good! I enjoyed it! I'm not bored by it, which I usually am with videos~!
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    I'm up to doing day 9 today, am starting to get a little bored with level 1, but I finish it tomorrow anyway so I'm not fussed.
    I'm already feeling a difference in my legs and arms, I can't wait for the other 2 levels now =D
    I Love Jillian, even though she scares the bejesus out of me! Luckily she's staying inside my TV :laugh:

Good luck with it! :drinker:
  • Maxingtonbear
    Maxingtonbear Posts: 47 Member
    It really is a good workout DVD! I say go for it! :)
    Tons of luck to you!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Try Ripped in 30. :D That helped make me a lot stronger.
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    It is an awesome workout. I did two rounds of it and lost a good 4 inches total. Your endurace will increase, posture is improved, plus you are able to perform better at other workouts such as treadmill, elliptical, etc.

Plus, this DVD will certainly prep you to the next stage of JM's workouts becuase she continues to utilize the moves from 30-Day Shred and incorproates new ones for her other DVDs such as Ripped in 30, Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones, and Shred It With Weights. All of the above DVDs are great. I am hooked!

Enjoy your fitness journey!
  • ahipsher
    Woo! So many 30D Shredders!

Getting me pumped. Today's my last day of Spring Break, and the last two weeks I haven't been able to do my normal routine at the gym because I injured my foot pretty badly while running on a treadmill (my fault - I've needed to replace my shoes for awhile. Now I have a nice new pair of stylish and comfortable Nikes). My legs have already gotten less toned, and oh man, I couldn't even go half a mile at the park yesterday before getting really winded. It's amazing (and really annoying) what even taking two weeks off can do to your body. :frown:

So after my AM classes tomorrow, I'm going to hit it hard like I used to. :wink: