workout question

Options
i know some people will laugh at this question but im new to working out. my job causes me to not be able to work out at the same times because from day to day i have no idea what time i will get off work (bus driver) , and on the weekend me and my fiance take turns going to the gym so one of us can be here with our son. my question is the days when i can only work out in the morning sometimes before i eat anything will it still burn calories for that day or just build endurance and muscle?

Replies

• dougpear
    dougpear Posts: 21
    Options
    It will burn calories granted you can do so. It does not matter much when you exercise, all the matters in calories in vs. calories out.
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My schedule is random too.. Ok, I usually eat something light or have a whey protein shake before I go. For that energy boost. Depending what you do at the gym, Weights, walking, swimming, or cardio machines. Any movement right now, is going to burn fat/cals. My trainer started me on weight training first.. To get stronger, to move better.. Go light at first. then have a healthy snack, meal after.. If you feel dizzy or sick to your stomach after.. Drink a 8oz glass of low fat chocolate milk. (trust this, you will feel better)

and just walking more. weights and walking will make you stronger. I hope I answered your question. Typed this before coffee! :tongue:
  • cherokeebunnie
    cherokeebunnie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You will still burn Calories I work out in the morning before I eat anything maybe just a couple of cups of coffee and then work out.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is actually more important that you eat properly after your workout (within 2 hours of it at least). Try to eat protein-rich, lean foods. A lot of people recommend a good mix of protein/carb/fat, but all within good balance. I highly suggest that you read the Men's Fitness Big Book of Nutrition - it will give you some good information. Also, the book Which Comes First: Cardio or Weights is an excellent source of factual information.

Good Luck!

Greg
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I workout every morning within 20 - 30 minutes after getting up, and on an empty stomach - have to get it done before the family gets up! When I'm done with the workout I usually have a glass of chocolate milk, get my kid to school, then eat my regular breakfast when I get back. It's working for me!