Coconut Oil (what to do with it)

Options
LATeagno
LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
I've heard a lot about coconut oil and how awesome it is. I finally broke down and bought a 12 oz. container of the organic stuff (for $15-- sheesh!). I don't want to take it as a supplement, but rather work it into my diet. How do I?

What do you use it for personally?

Replies

• Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have used it for whenever I need to use an oil for cooking. I only use 1/2 to 1 TEASPOON though. A little goes a long way. I haven't used it in things like for baking... Hmmmm but I don't bake :) Unlike coconut water, it has no taste.
  • ning_kar
    ning_kar Posts: 1
    Options
    http://www.tropicanaoil.com/Pages/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=6

you can use coconut oil 100% for skin and hair too.
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always have two jars of coconut oil-one for hair and skin and the other cooking. As for cooking, I add it sweet potatoes, smoothies, toast, oatmeal, and whatever else I think will taste good with a little coconut oil!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    hey there :) Im from India and we use coconut oil on our hair and skin and also in cooking.
    It tastes REALLY good when you bake desserts that require just vanilla flavoring...the delicate coconut flavor is delicious.
    Also i add a little bit to my Oatmeal, muffins, granola and in smoothies and home made shakes..its delicious!
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine said she puts it into oatmeal.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, and I use it on my face every night. It seems to have some really good antibacterial properties. I ingested it as a supplement for awhile, but I'm still on the fence about the saturated fat issue.
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    I just used it this morning in pancakes. Instead of oil, I melted the coconut oil and mixed it in. I also placed it in pan to cook pancakes. They were really great.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's, about $6 a pint jar.

Hair, skin, hands, face, cooking, smoothies... works well as a lubricant, too. All natural, organic, no toxins.. what's not to love?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot about coconut oil and how awesome it is. I finally broke down and bought a 12 oz. container of the organic stuff (for $15-- sheesh!). I don't want to take it as a supplement, but rather work it into my diet. How do I?

What do you use it for personally?
    Use it like any other cooking oil, that's all it is. So, use it with or instead of olive oil, canola oil, etc.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Drive a Coconut car

Brum Brum
  • ❤_veggies_rock_❤
    Options
    Trader Joe's, about $6 a pint jar.

Hair, skin, hands, face, cooking, smoothies... works well as a lubricant, too. All natural, organic, no toxins.. what's not to love?

also too Coconut Water & Coconut Milk in your smoothies is a delicious & nutritious treat :) Coconut water replenishes the electrolytes and aides in lowering blood pressure where most people will focus only on salt
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    The Nutiva brand extra virgin coconut oil does have a coconut taste and smells INSANELY good. I don't really notice the taste in savory recipes though. My favorite indulgence is what my friends and I call "PeaCoNut" -- mix together a small jar of natural peanut butter, a small jar of Nutella, and about half a cup of the Nutiva coconut oil (you may want to melt the coconut oil to incorporate it). If you store it in the refrigerator, it is like velvety smooth fudge. You can also use it as a fruit dip at room temperature. You could probably cut back on the amount of Nutella if you want to minimize the sugar...but I'd rather just work it into my calories.
  • deblc6836
    Options
    The Nutiva brand extra virgin coconut oil does have a coconut taste and smells INSANELY good. I don't really notice the taste in savory recipes though. My favorite indulgence is what my friends and I call "PeaCoNut" -- mix together a small jar of natural peanut butter, a small jar of Nutella, and about half a cup of the Nutiva coconut oil (you may want to melt the coconut oil to incorporate it). If you store it in the refrigerator, it is like velvety smooth fudge. You can also use it as a fruit dip at room temperature. You could probably cut back on the amount of Nutella if you want to minimize the sugar...but I'd rather just work it into my calories.

Oh, and make popcorn in it...delicious!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Could I potentially use the same jar for skin AND cooking? I mean, like if I were to spoon a little aside and put it in a different container? Is there a difference between the cosmetic stuff and the cooking stuff (this is the Nutiva brand). Thanks!
  • deblc6836
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Could I potentially use the same jar for skin AND cooking? I mean, like if I were to spoon a little aside and put it in a different container? Is there a difference between the cosmetic stuff and the cooking stuff (this is the Nutiva brand). Thanks!

Sure -- that's what I do.
  • deblc6836
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Sure -- that's what I do.

BTW, if you find you are using it on a regular basis, Amazon has an autoship program for 2 of the 54 ounce jars for about $38 -- so it's much cheaper that way. You can set the shipment interval to your liking.