Am i gonna have an elliptical heart attack? LOL

Options
I went on the elliptical but it wasn't the bike kind it only went one way i guess? Well i did 10 minutes and my HR got to 173 is that okay or dangerous?

Replies

• kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    The simple calculation for maximum heart rate is 220-age, so 173 shouldn't be bad. I would say that was a hard cardio workout though.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about your heart at all, you might want to check w/ your doctor about your plan. Just be sure you are safe from someone who really knows.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Should be perfectly fine.... I do the elliptical at 80-90% of my max which is 178 currently so I avg. in the mid-160's for 60-90 minutes a session... If you are just starting out make sure you have seen your family doctor and have a check up and definitely start off slow and add to each session.... Good luck
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Should be perfectly fine.... I do the elliptical at 80-90% of my max which is 178 currently so I avg. in the mid-160's for 60-90 minutes a session... If you are just starting out make sure you have seen your family doctor and have a check up and definitely start off slow and add to each session.... Good luck

Yeah it was my 1st time doing this machine and i did 10 mins which is a LOT for me especially since i had just done 30 min on the bike and another 25 min on the treadmill at 3.0mph. My HR i have seen get to 163 on the treadmill when i did 3 miles but last night was the first night it hit 173
  • trill0042
    trill0042 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how it felt. Were you dizzy? When I'm on the elliptical and working hard my heart rate usually falls between 170-180. According to the formula my max heart rate is 191. But I also went to the doctor before I started the high intensity work outs to make sure my heart was healthy enough to handle it.

If you're worried about it I vote go to the doctor and get checked out first. It would give you peace of mind.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just Fyi, a heart attack is caused because of a blocked artery that supplies blood to the heart to keep it alive and beating. What you might be referring to is called Cardiac Arrest. When you are in Cardiac arrest, your heart will beat must faster, you might feel light headed but you end up feeling the symptoms on your way to hit the floor. So if you were to suffer a cardiac arrest or sudden cardiac arrest, you wouldnt really know. See if you have a family history for it and if you are concerned, ask your primary physician or cardiologist to have a treadmill test or an exercise test to see if you do have those deadly arrhythmias ( irregular HR's)
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Just Fyi, a heart attack is caused because of a blocked artery that supplies blood to the heart to keep it alive and beating. What you might be referring to is called Cardiac Arrest. When you are in Cardiac arrest, your heart will beat must faster, you might feel light headed but you end up feeling the symptoms on your way to hit the floor. So if you were to suffer a cardiac arrest or sudden cardiac arrest, you wouldnt really know. See if you have a family history for it and if you are concerned, ask your primary physician or cardiologist to have a treadmill test or an exercise test to see if you do have those deadly arrhythmias ( irregular HR's)

Oh ok thanks!