Went away ate whatever no weight gain, at home I struggle?

Options
Just spent a week in NY. My dad is dieing and we went to say goodbye. Not going to lie we ate well. Cherry danishes, cookies. What can I say we have no bakeries in NC so yes I indulged. Italian food galore the real stuff not food chains. I didn't count calories or workout. We did do a lot of errands and running around but no where near my gym workouts.
I did not gain a pound. Now I am not complaining. Just don't understand how I ate so much and didn't gain a pound and at home I count every calorie workout 6 days a week and struggle to lose a pound. Something in all this is making me think something is not right.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• mrsleftybrown
    Options
    All the work that you are doing at home has started your metabolism and that is what it is. Also you were conscious of what you were eating. You probably did not eat like you would have months ago. Don't worry about it. Just realize that it is what it is. When you are at home make sure you are keeping your net calories in the right range for weight loss.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I agree. You working out has built up muscle and with that comes a higher metabolism. Not to mention as you count calories it becomes easier to eye ball what you really need. I know the I eat way less when I eat out and I can generally look at and say okay I can have a salad and half the sandwhiches and be full and generally I'm right. You subconsciously tell your self what you want. Just make sure when you are at home you are keeping up with your calories that way you don't get away from how you are doing. Also remember that you are working out and muscle does weigh more than fat does so have you tried taking measurements? It may not seem like you are loosing when you really are. You may be loosing inches and not even realize it. I know on the days that I feel lke I've platued are the days that I loose inches
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    it can sometimes take even longer than a week for the effects of bad eating to show, i have a friend on here who noticed if she ate bad then 2 weeks later the weight would show. each persons body absorbs it at different rates and it can take time for it to show.
    Or as the others say you could have given your metabolism a good boost and it found it easier to burn it off, which would also explain why you struggle at home, it could be worth a go at raising your calories a little and seeing if that has any effect
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Dieting has been shown to slow your metabolism, especially if you account for the lost body mass. Also, you burn something on the order of single digits more calories per day for every pound of muscle you gain, so it won't even cover up the metabolic deficit created by the loss of somewhat metabolically active fat.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I think it comes down to thermodynamics. You were active enough and ate little enough to maintain your weight. Good job! Also remember that the counting calories and going to the gym is to shave 500 calories a day, a non-negligible task.
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dieting has been shown to slow your metabolism, especially if you account for the lost body mass. Also, you burn something on the order of single digits more calories per day for every pound of muscle you gain, so it won't even cover up the metabolic deficit created by the loss of somewhat metabolically active fat.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I think it comes down to thermodynamics. You were active enough and ate little enough to maintain your weight. Good job! Also remember that the counting calories and going to the gym is to shave 500 calories a day, a non-negligible task.

yes i agree certain ways of dieting does slow ur metabolism but they are normally only the diets that restrict your calorie intake to an extreme i.e. 800 - 1000 calories a day but watching what your eating improves ur metabolism and it will be able to take on more calories with little or no weight gain
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I find that if I obsess over dieting I struggle. Once I give up dieting for eating better I tend to eat less and actually loose the weight easier I try to remember portion sizes and have adopted the new plate portions now being recommended too. Half the plate(smaller plates) veggies and fruit 1/4 portein and 1/4 carb.May sound a little nuts, but the no diet diet works better for me.