I feel guilty

Options
When I don't work out. I work out 6-7 days a week and if I take a day off it's usually Sunday. I just cannot seem to get motivated to exercise today but I feel guilty and lazy if I don't. I can't be the only one that feels like this, or am I?

I've heard and read it's good to take a day off from exercise. Right? What do you think?

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It is very hard for me to take a day off too. I have scheduled it so that if falls on a Saturday and this is the day that I always have something to do. It takes my mind of it. What I also do to avoid feeling like this, is take my dog on a walk at a very leisure like pace. It is difficult but I do it. On other days, my dog and I would go running.
  • GoStaceyGo
    GoStaceyGo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rest days are good for you! but it doesnt have to be couch potato status.
    rest days should have at least a little physical activity just not as much as ur normal workouts. i train 6x a week and on my rest day i like to do things like : yoga, hiking, swimming, tennis, racquetball, walking with my dogs, bike riding....things like that :)
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    hya there ive had my day off today and the guilt set in and i had to be doing something so i did a little excercise ,but my view is you should have a couple of days off to rest your muscles as my good mfp pals have told me to do ,and from now on im going to take their advice and do exactly that but not going to aim it at particular days just as and when i feel like i need a rest ,dont know if this helps xx
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential for your body, they allow your muscles to recover and keep you safe from injuries. That doesn't mean that you have to lock yourself inside and stay in bed. Go out for a walk, do something you enjoy.
  • supersourbubble
    Options
    I feel like i dont deserve a rest day yet. I spent years neglecting my body, so my goal is now 100 days of circuits...no days off. 30 to 90 mins. Today is day 66? I dunno,the exact number is on my calendar at home. I kinda feel like if i slack off, ill just keep making excuses.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read on here, rest days are good! Your muscles need time to recover. That said, I also feel guilty when I don't work out, but my work schedule recently changed so that I have (at least) one 12-hour day per week, so I just take that as my rest day. Like a previous poster said, I'm so busy that I don't have time to worry about not excercising, and by the time I get home I'm too tired to do anything but eat dinner and go to bed.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I only work out 5 days a week and on Friday I had to take the day off because I was sick. I felt guilty for sure but tomorrow I will continue on and it hasn't hindered me at all.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Working out four days a week is a great week for me. So no, I don't feel guilty if I don't work out. I would feel more guilty if I did it every day, causing me to spend less time with husband and children! Having said that I did not run yesterday and promptly had a bad weigh-in this morning. :D
  • longleggedgiraffe
    Options
    Dont feel bad. Sometimes I feel guilty when I eat something that isnt healthy! But i just allow myself one day to eat what I want and i make sure I exercise on the day I cheat. I dont workout everyday and nobody should.You need one day off! Its not the end of the world :)
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I get that way too but it is good to have a day off from the strenuous excerise you do normally. I generaly work out 5-6 days a week and have a day off generally at the weekend but even then I generally go for a walk or something. But there is nothing wrong with having a day off in fact its recommeded really to help your body recover but if you feel guilty try doing a little excersie just dont over do it xxx
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lol I fell guilty not doing anything on rest days. I'm just so amped I feel like I have to do something, so I was diggin around and found this post. I was thinking of doing a little walk or something. Thanks for the ideas I got a Tai Chi video I havent checked out yet :D
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I feel guilty because I'm even having a hard time just getting myself to do something light like going for a walk or yoga! And I feel so lazy...but I guess it's just one of those days. But I'm going to try not to worry about it too much, maybe my body needs the rest. Yeah, I'll go with that. :smile:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty if I don't workout too!

Today is my rest day, but I'm going to go for a short (2 miles or less) walk. I can't just clean my house all day! It's sooo boring! Lol.

Maybe we should start a support group for the "guilty days off" ;)
  • eventualrainbow
    Options
    I feel guilty when I take off too, but I remind myself that especially if I worked out hard the previous day, my body probably needs a 1-day break. I don't think it hurts to take a break from exercising, as long as it's a short one. You don't want to get too out of shape by taking a longer one.

19002665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i really dont think you have anything to worry about

:yawn: