Need advice from ex smokers

Options
Anyone got some good advice? I know I should quit smoking (and it has been the worst 53 hours of my life so far) and I have decided to do it. Lots of problems, though. I love smoking! I don't want to quit. I'm doing it because I'm tired of being stinky and being short of breath and I want to see my kids get married, etc., but it's so hard! I'm being a total crabby *****. How long till I start feeling normal again?! Other advice?

Replies

• bruneyc
    bruneyc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOL…smoking sucks. So does quitting. it does take time and you may have cravings for a couple years so (a) don't put yourself at risk of temptation by going out drinking etc where you're exposed to other people who want you to join them in their filthy habit (b) next time you get the urge take a look at this picture FIRST and ask yourself… is it worth it -

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://emphysemasymptoms.gasscam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/emphysema-lung-tissue-verses-smokers-lung.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://emphysemasymptoms.gasscam.com/emphysema-lung-tissue-verses-smokers-lung/&h=2014&w=1872&sz=218&tbnid=a1TtmlVrDvDcVM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=84&prev=/search?q=picture+of+diseased+smokers+lung&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=picture+of+diseased+smokers+lung&docid=Th15sQAdKxEdoM&sa=X&ei=9wBdT9nmB6ac0AWRlL3aDQ&ved=0CDYQ9QEwAQ&dur=2666

Good luck - one day your lungs will thank you ;O)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Have you read Allan Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking"? If not, you should. That book, and the website www.quitnet.com were the best resources that I used to quit smoking over two years ago. I was a very heavy smoker for 50 years and quit cold turkey using just those two things.

I also loved to smoke, but like you I hated the way it made you smell and how hard it was to breathe. Until you have been quit for about six months you won't really know just how bad it does smell, you only think you know.

I waited too long to quit and am now living with COPD...please be smarter than me and quit now...your lungs will thank you for it! :flowerforyou:
  • jamanning28
    Options
    I know this is really corny, but when I quite smoking and the cravings got bad, I got some suckers to suck on and mess with. It was just something for my hands to do so I didn't reach for a cigarette. You could try something like that whether it is a sucker or carrot stick or something you really like.
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free and I still have cravings. Wave the money u would spend on it and buy yourself something nice
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Anyone got some good advice? I know I should quit smoking (and it has been the worst 53 hours of my life so far) and I have decided to do it. Lots of problems, though. I love smoking! I don't want to quit. I'm doing it because I'm tired of being stinky and being short of breath and I want to see my kids get married, etc., but it's so hard! I'm being a total crabby *****. How long till I start feeling normal again?! Other advice?

i used the patches. it didn't take away the desire, but it did lessen the b*&chiness. :) i had a friend who had success with chantix and another with wellbutrin. if you are opting to go cold turkey, rest assured the worst side effects generally wane in about the first week...and mostly gone by week 3. at that point, it's a mental game. you can do it!! it is so worth it!
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you read Allan Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking"? If not, you should. That book, and the website www.quitnet.com were the best resources that I used to quit smoking over two years ago. I was a very heavy smoker for 50 years and quit cold turkey using just those two things.

I also loved to smoke, but like you I hated the way it made you smell and how hard it was to breathe. Until you have been quit for about six months you won't really know just how bad it does smell, you only think you know.

I waited too long to quit and am now living with COPD...please be smarter than me and quit now...your lungs will thank you for it! :flowerforyou:

I second this book. It was the best thing I did for myself to quit smoking. It's been two years now and no looking back! It's true about the smell too. I just walk by some people in a store and I can smell it on them, gross. You can do it!
  • blondeboms
    blondeboms Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking on tuesday and have been using an ecigarette to satisfy the cravings. I was a b*tch for the first couple of days but not as bad as I what i've been when going cold turkey. Hang in there, right there with you! x
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I used a spray mist and used it for 2 weeks and I was done. Not thought about a cig since. Though I wanted to quit smoking cos I couldn't breathe properly or exercise.
    Find some thing to put in your hand so you can play with it. Not sure if you're from the UK or not. but we have a stop smoking box you can get from the local pharmacy which has stuff in it.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Definitely read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, like others have suggested. Saved my life and many other people I know who have read it. Worth every cent!
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I smoked for what seemd like forever. I tried and tried and never managed to actually quit for good. I would quit while pregnate but that was it. My Dr. had me on a med for my moods and one day I no longer wanted to smoke, they actually started making me sick. I dont know what it was that I was on but I thank god that he put me on that med (tho it didn't work so well for my moods). I am now addicted to gum tho, but thats a good addiction compared to smoking.
  • karmakim
    karmakim Posts: 32
    Options
    Congratulations! I am proud that you decided to quit. I fully understand what you are going through I quit in November and still have dreams where I smoke. I also hide cigarettes in them etc., but honestly the extra energy and the ability to walk or ride a bike without stopping to catch my breath has been the most wonderful gift I ever gave myself!

The first few weeks are the worst but it will get better - and then you wonder why you ever thought you really liked it!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I gave up 2-3 years ago and I just stopped, no books, patches nor pills. Works for me, but not everyone. This was not my first attempt at giving up, and like you, I hated the fact that I smoked which I think is part of the battle. Anyhow, you should be over the woese of the nicotene cravings after 3 days, from then its just the mental addiction. Try to keep busy, and in particular keep your hands active. It does get easier, and well done for taking the plunge.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 13 months ago and I can't lie... it was HELL! But a friend of mine told me that the first 72 hours would be the worst and she was right. It was horrid. I stayed away from everyone and slept A LOT during those 3 days. But I have to say it was totally worth it and after those 3 days I started feeling better!

Something else that helped me was downloading an app on my phone.... as of today I have gone 413 days without smoking and saved $1690.05 <<<<<< money which I have actually put into an account to go ona fab trip once I lose all of the weight I want to lose! It sucks at the end of each month to calculate how much I need to put into savings (and actually do it), but then I realize that S**T, that was wasted money for the longest time, now I'll actually have something to show for it!

Good luck!

Sorry had to edit for typos!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in 2002 and never looked back. My biggest motivator is the way it smells and the EXPENSE. (omg) really? you gonna spend good money to poison yourself?
    As far as cravings, these are all good ideas. (not the e-cig- just STOP) take it one day at a time- one hour if you have to. For my cravings I chose to do something, clean my closet .. some ACTIVITY that would occupy my mind. I keep a journal so I would do that too, just write how I'm feeling and why I'm NOT giving in to cigarettes. I pretty much treated it like a contest of wills & I was not about to give in. I won.
    I find cig smoke DISGUSTING and avoid it. Also I think people look pretty silly with a cig hanging out of their mouth. It embarrasses me that I was that silly.
    You can do this!
    Good Luck ~
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I started cutting back by allowing myself a cigarette when I really wanted one. Rather than sticking to my routine and going out for smoke breaks during the day I'd ask myself "Do I really want a cigarette right now?" Most of the time the answer was no, that it was just the time I usually went for one and I was following routine. Once I did this I cut down to 2-3 cigarettes a day. After that I decided I would allow only myself cigarettes when I went to the bar and stopped smoking completely on a regular basis. I haven't been to the bar in a while but even when I was going weekly I noticed I wasn't chain smoking like I usually did, I was smoking 2-5 cigarettes a night instead of a whole pack. For me saying "I can have one if I really want one" rather than "I'm not allowed to do that" helped me not feel deprived. I know it won't work for everyone but It's worked pretty well for me. I did try the e-cigs and I really wanted them to work but they just weren't doing it for me.
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting and I wish you hte best of luck, I quit just over 2 years ago.

Best advice I can give you is

take 1 day at a time, if you didn't smoke for 24 hours, hold on to that fact, if you made it 24 hours, you can make it another 24 hours. Don't count how many days you have quit for, just focus on the next 24 hours.

Write down your reason for quitting, every time you have the desire to smoke, write them down again and again and again, you have to keep you reasons for quitting and the forefront of your mind constantly

Avoid all situations that "you" know will lead to stress, easier said than done but stress will trigger the desire so do your best
    to reduce it.

No alcohol!
  • brmize75
    brmize75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The first 3 to 4 days are tough and you are going to feel crabby, unable to focus, and irritated, but push through those first few days and you will begin to feel better. It will all pass and you will begin to feel calm and normal again. What you are feeling right now is your brain and body having to learn how to deal with out the nicotine and other chemicals and they are pissed off. Soon it will all calm down and you will be over the hump and on your way to being smoke free.
  • HikeRunLift
    Options
    I quit xmas eve of 2010 cold turkey.

The first week is the hardest. Once you get past that, it becomes much easier.

I was really snappy, crabby and quick tempered my first week. I stopped hanging out with smokers and pretty much locked myself up in my apartment during that time

For me, the one reason that I kept telling myself that stopped me from smoking was that I was not going to allow myself to be a weak pathetic tool under the control of tobacco addiction. And also I wasn't going to continue giving my money to make rich tobacco company executives more rich. They had me by the balls and I had enough.\

You really need to STOP telling yourself you enjoy smoking. that's your addiction talking. Other than the inhale and exhale of smoke, there is nothing enjoyable about smoking.

Let yourself get angry about it. When other peoples second hand smoke enters your space and body, get pisst!!! You wont ever stop smoking until you're ready

Maybe this wont work for you.. but to be honest, when I was craving the satisfaction of inhaling and exhaling.. I would take a hit of marijuana. And once I was buzzed off of that hit, I was like.. "yea.. F smoking "

If you have a smartphone, get an app called Quitnow! It tracks your days smoke free, money saved, cigs not smoked and days of your life gained back. It really helped me stay strong
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Talking as an ex smoker (so don't stone me!). But you can walk around like a grumpy bear growling and snarling at everything coming your way, feeling sorry for yourself and feel every ounce of how hard it is to stop until you've convinced yourself you are better off smoking anyway, at least until next week or next month... Or you can pull yourself together, grit on your teeth and know that the discomfort of nicotine withdrawal lasts for only a very short time and it really is mind over matter. Feel the freedom after every hour that you have gone longer and longer without a smoke. Fill your day with many other things so that you are not focused on the non-smoking so much.

Within a couple of weeks you will be feeling fabulous. It really is as easy as making that decision with no option to return, and realising that your mindset is your choice. Best of luck, I really hope you succeed. If only I could bottle the relief and freedom that comes as a non-smoker and give you some, you'll be dancing through this, knowing it is so very much worth it!
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 14 and quit the day after my 21st birthday. il be 23 in june so its coming on 2 yrs now. Yeah i know thats not a long time of smoking, but coming from a family of smokers I have realized the one thing about trying to quit. You have to WANT to quit. If you love smoking you dont want to quit. Just like you cant make any other addict stop doing whatever their drug of choice is. Yea i wanted to quit bc, it smelled, outta breath, blah blah, but i realized I didnt LIKE it anymore. I didnt like paying 9 bucks a pack for something I knew was going to kill me in the end. Its like my mother always says (shes 5 yrs clean of cigs drug etc) Its not a matter of IF it will kill you its a matter of WHEN. I say do some situps everytime you want one. That way you dont smoke and can get some ab workout in lol