Need advice from ex smokers

Options

Replies

• stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Used Dr prescribed chantix..... no problems.... stopped smoking in one week..... (coming from 1 pack a day)

Been smoke free since April.... still having the cravings but they are much easier to manage than the craving for a greasy hamburger.... so far so good
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I know this is really corny, but when I quite smoking and the cravings got bad, I got some suckers to suck on and mess with. It was just something for my hands to do so I didn't reach for a cigarette. You could try something like that whether it is a sucker or carrot stick or something you really like.

Have to agree. Sometimes I realized it was just having something in my hand. I have been smoke free for over two years now and I quit cold turkey. I like to think of all the money I have saved.

I also agree with writing down positive feelings you are having every day you are smoke free. Congratulations on making the first step! It is difficult but the rewards are so much greater. One day at a time!
  • winter1213
    Options
    April 30th will be one year smoke free. (20 year smoker 2 pack a day Marlboro Reds) I did the Chantix for 2 weeks, then an ecigarette for 2 weeks. The oral fixation is/has been the toughest. I quit only to support the hubby, since the MD said he was showing the early signs of emphasema. I've used healthy snacks (nuts, raisins), sugarfree gum and mints, and flavored toothpicks. I had started yoga about a month before my "quit date" and I think that really helped my metal focus. My only other vice has been my early morning gym habit, which went from 4 days a week to at least once a day, sometimes twice. Find ways to fill up the time available to smoke. i.e. get an exercise ball to sit on to watch tv (need to balance and wont be close to the coffee table where the ashtray was). Try to deliberately break any smoking past times. I used to do my Farmville and chain smoke like crazy - so I started reading in the other room instead. I gave up the Farm, but it helped break the routine and thus make it easier.

Good Luck!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Just do it. Lay those demons down! Get mad about how they've robbed you already and how the tobacco companies have robbed us all and ruined lives and killed people! Don't give those coffin-nails or coffin-nail makers another moment of your precious life! Start telling EVERYBODY who will listen that you don't smoke anymore. Make it hard to back off it. Whatever you do, JUST DO IT! This is my 12th year smoke-free and nobody ever loved them more than me. Quitting was the first major change in my life and now I am healthier than I have ever been, at the age of 54. You will NOT regret it!
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in 2002 and never looked back. My biggest motivator is the way it smells and the EXPENSE. (omg) really? you gonna spend good money to poison yourself?
    As far as cravings, these are all good ideas. (not the e-cig- just STOP) take it one day at a time- one hour if you have to. For my cravings I chose to do something, clean my closet .. some ACTIVITY that would occupy my mind. I keep a journal so I would do that too, just write how I'm feeling and why I'm NOT giving in to cigarettes. I pretty much treated it like a contest of wills & I was not about to give in. I won.
    I find cig smoke DISGUSTING and avoid it. Also I think people look pretty silly with a cig hanging out of their mouth. It embarrasses me that I was that silly.
    You can do this!
    Good Luck ~

^^^^This exactly - I too am embarrassed that I did something that looks sooo ridiculous! I quit in September of 1997 and never looked back - it is the best way in my opinion...I like someone's suggestion of the sucker - that's a good one :happy: Just remember - each & every day away from cigarettes is easier...and the farther away from the habit you get, the more you'll wonder why you did it...Best of luck!!! :bigsmile:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!

I quit 5 years ago using Chantix and I never looked back. Unlike you, I didn't love smoking. I resented the addiction I had to smoking. I hated stinking. I hated having to make sure I had cigarettes and a lighter nearby at all times. I hated how my car smelled. I hated everything about it.

Funny thing is, now that I am quit, I love the smell of a cigarette. It doesn't make me want to smoke one, I just really like the smell. It has to be a freshly lit one, the smell of old smoke makes me nauseous!

You can do this! I promise, you will be so happy with how infrequently you get sick, when you do get sick, it doesn't turn into bronchitis every time. You will be able to run if you want to! I ran three miles on the treadmill at the gym today and it was actually easy!
  • pautumn23
    Options
    That is honestly what I did as well!! And it did work. That is good advice. Keeps your mind busy and your hands and mouth busy as well. Good one! Hahaha. :)
  • wendyrn1
    wendyrn1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I loved to smoke too! I smoked from age 14 to 40! This June I will be celebrating my 5th year smoke free! I used chantix and also used their web based support site for a year. I gained weight and lost that weight. I was heavy before I quit smoking! I took it one minute at a time. I treated my smoking habit as an addiction. I can never ever take a puff, even just one puff, ever in my life or I will be right back to smoking. The freedom you will get from not smoking is awesome! You are no longer a smoker and it will get easier with time! Stay positive!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Go to Amazon and order the following book - Alan carr's the EasyWay to give up smoking permanently - it saved my life! I haven't smoked for 16 months, needed no nicotine replacement and have not craved a single cigarette! It is so simple it is ridiculous!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it. You are SO CLOSE to that 72 hour mark!! That was the worst. I quit smoking and ditched caffeine at the same time - I was a total you-know-what.

I did do a step down approach, but in the end... its cold turkey man.

One day at a time. Twidle a pencil - chew on it if you have to. Find something else to keep yourself occupied.

You might find yourself getting more hugs now, lol. When you stink like ciggs, people don't want to be so close to you, :)
  • LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Anyone got some good advice? I know I should quit smoking (and it has been the worst 53 hours of my life so far) and I have decided to do it. Lots of problems, though. I love smoking! I don't want to quit. I'm doing it because I'm tired of being stinky and being short of breath and I want to see my kids get married, etc., but it's so hard! I'm being a total crabby *****. How long till I start feeling normal again?! Other advice?

Hi there and well done for making the decision to quit. You have to be 100 percent sure that you want to. My son cried one night and told me how 3 of his school friends in his year group had lost a mum or dad to smoking related illness in less than 6 months. Kids need their parents, I gave up there and then...cold turkey.

That was Halloween last year and I have never looked back.

Good luck, here for suport, add me.xx
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for 3 years now, I used to smoke close to 3 packs a day. One day i got a flyer in the mail for a smoking cessation program from my insurance company , it was for cold laser therapy. I went once ,paid 200 dollars , was reimbursed and havent touched a cigarette since the day i left there. I smoked my last one just before walking in the door that day and was skeptical as all hell , but it worked for me. good luck, i dont miss them one bit , best decision i ever made.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I would address the reasons you believe you love smoking. When you confront that, and realize that smoking does not give you anything positive, you won't want to do it anymore. If you believe smoking contributes something positive to your life, you will smoke. In truth, smoking does not (1) calm your nerves, (2) make you cool, (3) increase your health, (4) help you get fit, (5) make you happy. Quite the contrary! Smoking increases your anxiety because it makes you crave smoking more, it is definitely NOT socially acceptable so your cool factor takes a huge hit, you become less healthy, out of breath, and removed from the things and people you want most to be around.

I would find a community like MFP that is geared toward support for smoking cessation. I strongly recommend QuitNet.com. Great people lurk there, waiting to help you through cravings.

If you give yourself the option - if you believe that there is a cigarette waiting for you after XXX period of time - you will drive yourself nucking futz. If you tell yourself firmly - we do not DO that anymore - and speak to your inner junkie like a child throwing a temper tantrum - you can and will overcome cravings and keep your quit. Because really - that's all it is. Your inner junkie (and you ARE addicted) is a spoiled child who is used to getting what it wants by throwing a tantrum.

Best of luck!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I loved smoking, but when I started C25K I found I couldn't smoke and run properly, so I "had" to quit.
    Maybe try aiming to run a 5k or 10k and starting a running program to make quitting PART of a greater goal?
    I quit in January but I have smoked TWICE since then... Both times made my running harder the next day so I've learned now :D
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Talking as an ex smoker (so don't stone me!). But you can walk around like a grumpy bear growling and snarling at everything coming your way, feeling sorry for yourself and feel every ounce of how hard it is to stop until you've convinced yourself you are better off smoking anyway, at least until next week or next month... Or you can pull yourself together, grit on your teeth and know that the discomfort of nicotine withdrawal lasts for only a very short time and it really is mind over matter. Feel the freedom after every hour that you have gone longer and longer without a smoke. Fill your day with many other things so that you are not focused on the non-smoking so much.

Within a couple of weeks you will be feeling fabulous. It really is as easy as making that decision with no option to return, and realising that your mindset is your choice. Best of luck, I really hope you succeed. If only I could bottle the relief and freedom that comes as a non-smoker and give you some, you'll be dancing through this, knowing it is so very much worth it!

^^^^This!!! It's a choice - you can be miserable, or you can be happy right away, it's totally up to you. And I highly recommend Allen Carr's book - basically, by the end of it you don't love smoking anymore - it gets you in the right mindset and by the end of reading it you don't ever want to pick up a cigarette again. The physically uncomfortable part of the withdrawal only lasts 3-5 days, so if you have stuck it out this long, don't turn to a nicotine delivery device - you're almost over the physically hard part, and using a patch or e-cig will just renew the physical addiction - avoid it if you at all can (but if you can't, then try them, you'll draw out the process, but at least it gets you away from the other toxins).

Try drinking lots of ice water, eating oranges (for some reason this helps), and try substituting exercise for smoking - you'll really notice how much better you feel and it also helps to relieve that stressed feeling. And write down all the positives about being a non-smoker, and look at that list whenever you have thoughts about loving smoking - there's nothing to love about it, it's the addicition talking. Would you love putting your nose up to your car's exhaust and taking a big whiff? Because that's really what you're doing - smoking is totally gross if you think about it in any depth - we're just tricked into thinking we love it because of the nicotine addiction. It's an addict's rationalization. It's more powerful than a heroin addiction (though thankfully the physical withdrawal is not as devastating).

Congrats on making it this far and good luck! You CAN do it!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    "I don't want to quit!" >>that's the problem. If you are not ready to do something, you won't be successful. No matter how much you know you should do it, no matter what pressure there is on you for it, if you don't fully WANT it, it won't happen. Figure out what will make you want it bad enough.

Edited to add, yes, I used to smoke for many years. tried to quit many times. When i really wanted to badly enough, I did. and NEVER EVER EVER slip up and have just one, cuz that will be your downfall. all or nothing, when it comes to smoking/quitting.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    I also recommend Allan Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. (or Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently - same ideas, just longer I think). I stopped nine years ago using this book and absolutely enjoyed the experience of stopping. I felt able to easily and happily walk away from smoking after reading it.
  • eventualrainbow
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking! I have been smoke free for 7 weeks now and still definitely have the cravings. However, it WILL get easier with time! I know you've probably heard that 1,000 times but it's absolutely true. Snack on fruits and veggies when you get a craving, use suckers, gum, mints, and just about anything else to take your mind off of smoking... just make sure it's sugar-free. You don't want to add a bunch of needless calories, because then you will start gaining weight. Also, have you tried nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)? That may really help you even further... I know it helped me. :happy:
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Anyone got some good advice? I know I should quit smoking (and it has been the worst 53 hours of my life so far) and I have decided to do it. Lots of problems, though. I love smoking! I don't want to quit. I'm doing it because I'm tired of being stinky and being short of breath and I want to see my kids get married, etc., but it's so hard! I'm being a total crabby *****. How long till I start feeling normal again?! Other advice?

I quit smoking almost 5 years ago with Chantix.
    It isn't for everyone but it worked for me.
    However, it takes time to get your breath back. I would highly recommend a physical and get your lungs checked with an X-Ray. As someone who is short of breath and trying to quit smoking, your doc should have no problem with this request.

I try to walk most days.....or bike, weather permitting.......
    It will take time.
    Good luck.
  • coreykantola
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS ! It is hard to quit. I tried at least 100 times. Every day is a stuggle but it gets easier. Once you are fre you feel like a million dollars. Exercise is easier and more fun. You wont stink.

Good luck stick with it you can do it.