Need advice from ex smokers

Options

Replies

• cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    www.whyquit.com

Understanding your addiction is the key to beating it..

It work for me. One & a half years without a puff and never again.

PS. You dont love smoking, youre addiction makes you think you do. Youre nicotine addiction is evil and is trying to kill you!!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Have you read Allan Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking"? If not, you should. That book, and the website www.quitnet.com were the best resources that I used to quit smoking over two years ago. I was a very heavy smoker for 50 years and quit cold turkey using just those two things.

I also loved to smoke, but like you I hated the way it made you smell and how hard it was to breathe. Until you have been quit for about six months you won't really know just how bad it does smell, you only think you know.
    :

This ^^^^. Get the book, it's really excellent and will help you to understand all you need to know and keep you strong if you have the willpower and want to be smoke-free. People talk of 'cravings'; I don't agree that they are actual cravings - I'd say that they're more 'fleeting thoughts' of smoking and are over in seconds. The talk of cravings is, I think, what makes some smokers scared to quit.

You can do this - do it whilst you have no ill affects because you'll kick yourself afterwards. Best of luck - get the Allan Carr book. I've been an ex-smoker for five years now, never looked back and don't villify smokers either - I just won't be one of them ever again.
  • LauraMyny
    LauraMyny Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting and I wish you hte best of luck, I quit just over 2 years ago.

Best advice I can give you is

take 1 day at a time, if you didn't smoke for 24 hours, hold on to that fact, if you made it 24 hours, you can make it another 24 hours. Don't count how many days you have quit for, just focus on the next 24 hours.

Write down your reason for quitting, every time you have the desire to smoke, write them down again and again and again, you have to keep you reasons for quitting and the forefront of your mind constantly

Avoid all situations that "you" know will lead to stress, easier said than done but stress will trigger the desire so do your best
    to reduce it.

No alcohol!

Exactly what he said!!!!! The first 2 weeks were super hard for me. I quit about 6 1/2 months ago and I feel sooooooo great and I can run!! I stayed away from drinking for a good month because I knew I couldnt drink without smoking. Hang in there. Its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it! My advice is to stay busy busy busy. whenever you want to smoke, do something. Wipe down the counters, paint your nails, walk the dog....just DO something to keep busy :)
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I LOVED to smoke! I started playing around with cigarettes before I was 10 years old. The most trouble I ever got in growing up always involved cigarettes. I was grounded over them more times than I can count. As an adult, I smoked around anyone and everyone. I smoked inside before I got married, in the bathroom while I was doing my hair and makeup. I smoked when I had strep throat. After I got married, I smoked outside. I smoked when it was miserably hot outside, I smoked when it was miserably cold outside. I knew it was harmful, expensive, and unattractive, and I tried to quit over and over and over. I always went back. Because the truth was, I loved to smoke. I really couldn't begin to imagine myself as a nonsmoker.

When I turned 40, I finally got serious. I had been saying I was going to quit for more than 20 years. I had tried everything: cold turkey, subliminal tapes, cinnamon sticks, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, smoking cessation programs through work, drops that made the cigarettes taste awful, etc., etc., etc. When was I going to follow through? I went to my doctor and she prescribed Zyban (Wellbutrin), and the Nicotrol Inhalers. I'm not sure how much the Zyban helped, probably a lot, but the inhalers were what got me past the rough spots. I probably carried one around in my purse for over a year. When I was tempted, I could pull one out and satisfy that hand to mouth compulsion. I NEVER took even one drag off of a cigarette because I knew that if I did, I would be right back at it, AGAIN!

Time passed. I just kept adding one hour to the next, one day to the previous one, one day at a time. The hours turned into days, the days turned into weeks, the weeks turned into months, AND THE MONTHS TURNED INTO YEARS. It has now been 11 1/2 years of those one days! I am completely grossed out by the smell of cigarettes, when at first I used to hang out around smokers just to smell them. I am a nonsmoker. Believe it or not, when I look back on myself as a smoker, I can't imagine it!

Did I mention that I prayed? A lot!!

You can do it, too. Just keep adding those one days, one on top of the other.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I quit a 4 pack a day habit after 30 years. That was 14 years ago. I used the patches and stayed on them twice as long as they say to. When the cravings got so bad I knew I was going to crack I would tell myself "OK you can have a cigarette, but you have to wash the dishes first." Or, "OK you can have a cigarette, but you have to mow the lawn first." By the time I got done with what ever chore I assigned myself the craving would be gone. Sometimes I even had dreams about smoking.

I later learned that the intense cravings only last something like three minutes or less so if you can just find a way to distract yourself for a few minutes you'll forget about them. As you progress the cravings will be less and less frequent and less and less intense.

In the beginning the hardest days seem to be the odd ones. Day 3,5,and 7 seemed to be particularly difficult.

You can do it! Hang in there!
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    I quit smoking in August because I had a Pulmonary Embolism. It was very hard especially since my hubby stills smokes. I was told if I wanted to live I had to quit. The emboli was so severe the vascular surgeon said my lungs will never be the same.

1 thing I did was use the patches for the first 3 weeks and I changed mine when I got up in the am.
    2nd thing I did was change my routines. I associated my morning coffee with a cigarette. So I switched to having something different 1st thing in the am for a couple mos.
    3rd thing I did was found something with a pungent flavor to replace the cigs with. My thing was good n plenty since black licorice is a strong flavor.
    4th thing I did was to shove a fruity piece of gum in my mouth or brush my teeth after I ate to replace the habit of smoking.

I had to edit or delete behaviors that I associated with a cig. For instance, for the first couple mos I didn't have any alcohol either. Not that I drink much, but even 1 beer made me want a smoke. I stayed away form other smokers for the first couple mos other than my hubby.

I still crave one once in a while, but I feel so much better and my lungs have improved so much that the craving isn't intolerable. I also like the fact that I am not spending all that money and can use it for other things.

Hope these things help:) GOOD LUCK!!! If you can discipline yourself enough to exercise and eat right, quitting smoking is doable as well.
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've stopped for 13 days while using an e-cig. While someone mentioned don't use 1. Why not? It contains nicotine like all the other nicotine replacement program's . It's helping take the edge off, as well as keeping me sane but the wife might beg to differ....lol
    Does anyone think reading the Alan Carr book would help me out even tho I'm using my e-cig.
    As long as you want to give up 100%, then now is the time. Just take it day by day and treat yourself after certain milestones. I use an app on my iPhone called idontsmoke and you can add extra milestones to the ones that are already there, be it by time,cigs not smoked or by money. Good luck and I hope it all works out well.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Have you read Allan Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking"? If not, you should. That book, and the website www.quitnet.com were the best resources that I used to quit smoking over two years ago. I was a very heavy smoker for 50 years and quit cold turkey using just those two things.

I also loved to smoke, but like you I hated the way it made you smell and how hard it was to breathe. Until you have been quit for about six months you won't really know just how bad it does smell, you only think you know.

I waited too long to quit and am now living with COPD...please be smarter than me and quit now...your lungs will thank you for it! :flowerforyou:
    This is a brilliant starting point. The trick is turning it around. At the moment you are trying to give up something that you love, whereas the focus should be on changing your mind set to "I don't want to smell and wheeze and cough any more, therefore I don't WANT to smoke."
    Once I had turned my head around to this way of thinking, and with the help of Champix for a couple of weeks, I can honestly say that I never want another cigarette and can even stand with a bunch of smokers and truly not be tempted. In fact I sometimes have to remind myself that I used to smoke! The hardest thing is finding that reason to not want to smoke any more.
    My big reason was the fact that every time I had a *kitten* outside, my daughter would stand on the other side of the glass door just looking and waiting for me to come back in the house. It was breaking my heart to see her alone 10 times a day!
    So as you can see my reason wasn't medical but emotional.
    I hope this helps. And good luck, it is sooooo worth the effort.
    PS, If the first one in the morning is before breakfast, get someone to bring your morning drink and breakfast to you in bed! :wink: :wink:
  • sollyn
    Options
    I also recommend Allan Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. (or Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently - same ideas, just longer I think). I stopped nine years ago using this book and absolutely enjoyed the experience of stopping. I felt able to easily and happily walk away from smoking after reading it.

This is very eloquently put. I completely agree wit this. The book sorts your head out. Then your head can sort your body out.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I gave up over a year ago and I really WANTED to quit. It wasn't easy but if you really want to do it - you will. :flowerforyou:
  • sollyn
    Options
    Congratulations! I am proud that you decided to quit. I fully understand what you are going through I quit in November and still have dreams where I smoke. I also hide cigarettes in them etc., but honestly the extra energy and the ability to walk or ride a bike without stopping to catch my breath has been the most wonderful gift I ever gave myself!

The first few weeks are the worst but it will get better - and then you wonder why you ever thought you really liked it!
    OMG You just reminded me of the dreams! I can remember waking up convinced that I had been smoiking, so much so that I could feel the heaviness on my chest and my throat felt like a night out on booze and *kitten*! My first reaction was what the hell am I going to tell everyone? And then when I realised it was just a dream, I was sooo relieved and pleased with myself. LOL
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking when I took up running. Couldn't breathe well. That was 2-1/2 years ago. I just walked away from it and whenever I wanted a cigarette, I had a glass of water. Best thing I ever did for myself, quitting smoking and taking up running. Truth is they say you don't really give up a bad habit, you replace it with something else. So, find something HEALTHY to replace it with and just power through. As said earlier in posts, it is indeed mind over matter. You don't have to grumpy, etc. and it only lasts for a little bit. But you don't need to give yourself extra permission to gain weight or be mean. LOL.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I quit smoking the day Bill Clinton was inaugurated...just coincidence...so it's been a while. One thing that helped me a lot was keeping a list of all the reasons I wanted to quit with me at all times. In weak moments, I'd get it out and read it to reinforce my resolve. I also was really ticked that I had become a slave to the tobacco companies---I let them decide where I was going to eat, how miserable I was going to be huddled in a doorway on a cold, wet winter day just so I could "feed the monkey," and they were getting a big chunk of my paycheck. That outrage helped my resolve, too. The other thing was I invested in quitting. I had ALL of my clothes cleaned, washed all my curtains, windows, walls....you get the picture. Just thinking how much I'd just spent at the dry cleaner helped me stick to my guns a few times. The first couple of weeks were the worst---doing some extra workouts helped with stress and also reminded me that I couldn't breathe very well. Good luck!
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    When I quit smoking, I found myself having to find something to take the edge off. I took up weight training and running and I pretty much lifted or ran until I didn't have that urge anymore. It's been going on 7 years and I haven't picked up a cancer stick since.

Find something to substitute that urge, hopefully you'll find something less harmful and more beneficial.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    It's good to see I'm not the only one who has dreamt about smoking. I could never do it when I'm awake but I puff like a train in my dreams sometimes.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Maybe this wont work for you.. but to be honest, when I was craving the satisfaction of inhaling and exhaling.. I would take a hit of marijuana. And once I was buzzed off of that hit, I was like.. "yea.. F smoking "

YES!!!!!!!!

But yeah, I quit because I wanted to....I think that made it easier. I still get cravings at strange times (its been 4 and a half months since I quit) so I keep some TicTacs around..seems to calm me. I can definitely promise that if you do stop, you'll feel sooooo much better and have tons of energy!!
    Good luck!!!!
  • lookforgood
    Options
    You have all helped so much! Thank you! Thank you! In twohours, it will be the magic 72 hours of not smoking. Yesterday, I tried to keep myself busy and that helped a lot. The other thing is that I don't have any smokes and haven't been any where near a store to buy any. Today will be that challenge because I am going into town alone. I was actually thinking that just one wouldn't hurt, but I came to reread all these posts and decided one WOULD hurt. I'll just keep reading your advice, get that book that you recommended and hope for the best. I truly appreciate the tough love!
  • bunnyboo24
    bunnyboo24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin to quit and it really worked. I have been smoke free for 2 years. I still think about it sometimes especially if I'm around a smoker. I feel so much better since I quit though. I used to have the worst cough and it was embarrassing. You will feel so much better in the long run!!! Good Luck!
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!! I quit a little over 3 years ago, and I think the biggest key was that I was just ready. Also, I counted EVERY day that I was smoke free. The first few weeks were the worst of it, so when I was on day 10, I would tell myself that I would never have to do another 10 days in my life, as long as I don't have a cigarette. As soon as you take a drag, day 1 starts all over again. That really helped me to stay on track, because I NEVER wanted to go through the first few days again!

Also, I made a list of all the reasons I wanted to be a non-smoker. And this list was long and extremely deep. Yes, there were things like "I don't want to stink..I want to save money..", but also "I want to be alive to meet my grandchildren..I never want to need help putting on clothes b/c the surgery and chemo makes it too difficult..I don't want to lose my hair..etc..".. I kept that list with me every day, and if I had a craving I would whip it out. You have to want to be a non-smoker more than you want to smoke. Those cravings are strong, but they go away. It's like any other drug-it tries to trick you into all kinds of things.. Don't forget that you are stronger and better than that nicotine!!

Keep up the good work, you can do this!! You've made it to 72 hours, so the nicotine is out of your system. Now, It's all about calming the habit part of it. YOU GOT THIS!! :)
  • gorguslyjealous
    gorguslyjealous Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking && It's been a year and a half almost since I've had a cigarette. Was it easy - NO WAY! But you have to remind yourself that this is going to be for the best! You'll smell pretty, you'll be able to push yourself harder with working out, you'll be able to BREATH! Not spending all that ridiculous $$ on cigarettes all the time!

For me it was always in sets of three that it got easier - after 3 days it got easier... then after 3 weeks it got even easier... then after 3 months it got even EASIER! Until one day you just get so disgusted by the smell of smoke, you can smell it on people all the time and it's disgusting! I would say if you were ever a person to go hand in hand with drinking/smoking to hold off on drinking for awhile. The first time I drank I was craving cigagrettes SO bad, but you just have to hold out and remind yourself that those first 3 days were the HARDEST and do you ever want to have to repeat them AGAIN?! it only gets easier, just remember, 3, 3, 3!! :D