Need a HEALTHY recipe!

Options
kailaburch89
kailaburch89 Posts: 69 Member
I have a list of ingredients in my house, is someone willing to help me come up with a healthy recipe to cook for the fam tonight, has to be child friendly as I have a 6 year old & 2 year old?
Don't get paid till wednesday so I can't go shopping till then but I may be able to pop up to the corner shop and pick up a few odds n ends in necessary :)

frozen mixed vegies.
puffy pastry sheets.
rockmelon. watermelon.
banana. sliced ham.
butter. processed cheese slices.
1 tomato. carrots.
milk. pasta.
pasta sauce. tacho kit.
baked beans. flour.
tomato sauce. mustard sauce.
tinned tuna. tinned salmon.
oil. green cordial.
nesquik. white & castor sugar.
salt. coffee.
white. bread oats.
white rice. soy sauce.
fruit & nut tropical mix.

I know it's not alot to go off but that is everything other than the kids musli bars etc. that they scoff through the day for snacks and for school

Can ANYONE help me with a healthy recipe for tea?

Replies

• Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's quite a challenge - I feel like this is an episode of "Chopped"... a cooking show where the contestants get random ingredients.

Well... If I had these ingredients and had to create a menu for one day it might be....

Breakfast: Oatmeal topped with the fruit and nut mix
    Snack: sliced ham and cheese roll-ups
    Lunch: salmon tacos - mix the tinned salmon with the seasoning mix maybe... top the tacos with some of the tomatoes
    Dinner: pasta with the mixed veggies in the pasta sauce

The tinned tuna and salmon can be made into patties or cakes as well...
    Salmon cakes are easy - a simple recipe might be a tin of salmon, a good squirt of mustard, salt, pepper, maybe a piece of bread that has been made into bread crumbs, salt and pepper... mix all together and then form into patties. Cook in a skillet in the oil. ( the mixture may be loose, so just put them in the pan and let them be... cook until brown on one side and carefully flip).

Good luck!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Haha, it's a bit like that cooking show on telly. Ready Steady Cook :P

Well...
    1:
    make up the mixed veggies and puree them, maybe add the tomato into it.
    spread onto a puff pastry sheet and roll the sheet up. Slice into 1inch slices and put on a baking sheet and bake until they're risen and brown. They'll make veggie swirls :) My kids love those and call them Veggie Snails. You can add spices/herbs to the veg mix to your own taste!
    (my kids love those swirls with spinach/feta or with tomato/cheese/oregano/basil)

2:
    use the frozen veggies (possibly some slithers of that ham) to make a stir-fry (soy sauce, spices/herbs, boil some of that rice to go with it.

3: kid friendly, but calorie laden: make a white sauce (melt a knob of butter, add a tablespoon of flour and mix, then gradually add milk until it's thickened, then add more until you've the right amount/consistency for a sauce. Add processed cheese (tho nicer with cheddar or similar) and a little bit of nutmeg if you have, also a tiny bit of mustard - add to the pasta and it's 'mac'n'cheese' - with that you could mix some of the frozen veg into that, like peas etc.

4: fruit and nut tropical mix is a nice snack on its own but are nice in porridge.

5: for something fun for the kids, you could use a small scoop/spoon to make melon balls in a glass and top it up with green cordial. Kids cocktail ;)

6: if you could get your hands on a few eggs: use a scone/round cookie cutter to cut the puff pastry sheet into round shapes, use a muffin tin and line the tin with the individual round pastry pieces, fill 1/3 with fresh or frozen veg, then fill up with a mix of egg/milk, top with a bit of cheese and stick in the oven for about 20 minutes or until brown and risen (my oven about that time, but yours may vary) - perfect little quiches :)

7: baked beans and toast soldiers

Hope this helps a bit!