Need Some Suggestions

Options
Hi All! I am going to a work conference on Monday and Tuesday this week. All food is going to be provided and I have no idea what's on the menu! I've been doing really well and i don't want to fall off the wagon. I'm hoping they will have some healthy options but I want to be prepared. Does anyone have any ideas of healthy, non perishable I could take with me? Right now all I've got on my list is Nutrigrain Bars....

Thanks!!

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Trail mix, but it's got a pretty high calorie count.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Skip the Nutri Grain bars, they are loaded with sugar. Try an Atkins bar, most have lots of protein, fiber, low cals, some are low carb. You could bring some apples or banana's, or nuts.

Try to load up on veggies if that's being served. Maybe if they have chicken? Just be careful how it's cooked.

It's hard to eat away sometimes but if you plan it right, it's do able.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Canned pineapple in 100% juice
    Protein Bars
    Nuts/Seeds
    Bananas
    Dry Healthy Cereal
  • Stazed
    Stazed Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You could take some dried fruit or unsalted nuts good for snacking on at least.

I've found at conferences that if its hot food provided i just eat the same as everyone else (sometimes choose the veggie option if the meat option is in a cream sauce, often there is salad and pass on dessert), if its a cold buffet (more challenging I find, portion control is the key, mini sandwiches unfortunately doesn't mean i can eat them all, so i just pick the ham/ tuna salad ones and have the equivalent of one normal sandwich, again there is often salad and fruit, if there is chicken drumsticks etc - can have these but not the skin). Equally don't starve yourself or you wont focus on the conference because you're hungry! these are just ways I get round these situations, hope it is of some use.
    Enjoy
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    :-( Its all about portion control... I'd say eat 1/2 of what most people are eating and you should be ok. while skipping the obvious bad options (if there are options). As for food you can bring, I don't think you'd find that enjoyable to be eating your little atkins' bar while everyone else around you eats the "normal food".

option 2: make it a spike day... good luck.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    ... Water.

A lot of fitness "experts" hate me for this but... if there's not a healthy option, I DON'T eat.
  • davemckeever
    Options
    Good snacks:
    Beef or Turkey Jerky
    Raw almonds or other nuts
    Protein Bars

Just stay from the high calorie, processed foods. Stick to protein and high fiber to keep you full. And like ariant23 said "eat 1/2 of what most people are eating and you should be ok".
  • Dzuniga87
    Dzuniga87 Posts: 16
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions! nuts and dried fruit are a good idea. I'm hoping they'll have some healthy options for me- I just want to be prepared just in case.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would make sure I ate a high protein breakfast before going. I would also bring some macadamia nuts as back up.... If they have any foods that I non-processed I would focus on those; veggies, fruits, etc.

Good luck!