NSV: Running 6 miles

Options
the scale may not have moved down this week......

However my victory is that today I ran 6 miles in 1:05:05 !! (That is a 10:50 a mile splits) This is my personal best! So excited! I am training for a 1/2 marathon on May 20th.... my goal is 2:25 (11:03 a mile splits) So I am getting really pumped up that I CAN make my goal! I still have lots of work to do, but this was much needed motivation today!

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Marvelous - your dedication and hard work is really paying off! I continually learn here that the scale is NOT the best measure of success.

Well done!
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Good Job!
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    good job! you'll find yourself getting faster and faster
  • JulieG1443
    Options
    Very well done! I have to put in so much effort to do 3 miles and even then I think 1/3 of it is walking at 4mph!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I just started running, or should I say jogging.......im not very fast. I have only done 1 mile so far without stopping but that is huge for me! I never in a million years thought that at 42 I would start running/jogging. The high I get is huge, I feel amazing afterwards! I scheduled myself to do a 5k mud run in September, I am going to tackle that with gusto!
  • jacquiroxx
    jacquiroxx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats- that is awesome!! I LOVE the feeling of hitting new "longest distance" records! Keep at it :)
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats!
  • SuperMelRunning
    Options
    Congrats on your run. As a runner myself I would suggest slowing down your runs. You are essentially racing every run you are doing and not getting enough recovery time if you are running faster than your goal race pace. Keep up the good work.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome NSV! congrats on the big accomplishment!
    I will definitely second the above poster - make sure your long runs are nice and slow...don't push yourself too hard :)
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    wow! 6 miles is a long way! :smile: I am proud of your success! I hope I can find mine!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    That is sooooo wonderful! Way to go! You will have no problem with that 1/2 marathon.

tbresina: I started running about 40 years old too and have completed 2 - 5Ks. You can definitely do it!!! Good job both of you!
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!! You will make it without any doubt!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Way to go! I am getting fired up for a half in June!
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes, I had terrible week, so it really picked me up that I had such a good run!

Thank you for the advice on running a bit slower - I know, I know I was going to do a slower pace, but got caught up in catching a guy running on the trail in front of me, .... took me a 1/4 mile to catch him, then I sort of just got all pumped up and had a "I must win" moment" and just took off.... Doesn't happen very often, so I will take it when it does!

Here is a question for you - so that is basically my race pace that I ran - what should I be training at - 1 minute slower than race pace? 2 min?? I am not sure on that one?? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Em
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    It's hard to figure out race pace.

It might be a good idea to sign up for a 5K sometime in April and see how you do. Then you can use a training calculator to see what it estimates your half marathon pace to be.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congrats & awesome job! I'm training for a half marathon in June.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You'll do great for your 1/2.

Here's another pace calculator
    http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!