Feel Full on Whole Foods?

Options
Hey folks--

I'm writing because I think it's really important to eat whole foods (i.e. unprocessed). When I do so, I have to eat so much to feel full! I'm a vegetarian, and I eat a reasonably high amount of protein, but I find what makes me finally feel full is something fatty (like adding several slices of cheese to my eggs for breakfast) or grabbing carbs, like a ton of rice.

I'm really struggling with finding a way to eat right for myself. If I eat too little (and make the recommendations set by MFP, like 1500 cals/day), I end up ravenous and eat everything. If I eat whole foods and add enough fat to feel satisfied, I end up exceeded my required calories. If I eat "crap," I feel like "crap" and probably exceed my calories.

This is frustrating and depressing. I've been at the same weight for several months now. I'm reasonably fit and healthy (5'8", 165), do yoga 4/5 days a week, and run or bike (when the weather doesn't get me down) 4/5x a week. I'd really like to drop just ten more pounds and see where that puts me.

This is so frustrating.

Does anyone else have this experience? Has anyone else figured out a good solution for themselves? I'm looking more for specific stories than general advice. (Oh, and yes, I definitely eat more to account for the exercise.)

Thanks!

Replies

• JenChis22
    JenChis22 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hey there.
    My family in on a high protien, gluton and dairy free (with the exception of greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and whole milk for my 3/yo son) diet. We eat whole foods only, and always organic. We have not been hungry eating this way. I think it's a matter of knowing what foods to eat when and also water intake. I personally drink about 135oz of water a day, more when I work out. The body needing water can sometimes be mistaken for hunger, so having a tall glass of water can make you feel full. If you find you are hungry, try eating more raw nuts, seeds, nut butters or even a shake made with these things and the addition of some protein powder.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian so animal protein is a big source of my diet. However, for those days when I cannot seem to ever feel full, I add so good fats like avocado, olives and macadamia nuts.