Looking for recipes.. gluten-free, soy free, and corn free..

Options
Celiac runs in the family- I'm looking for creative ways to cut back on wheat, corn, and soy. Does anyone have good recipes- we are trying to mainly go by the "caveman diet"... basically foods that can be foraged, or hunted. Meats, and berries.

is there any bread items that can be made.

Also does anyone know of a red licorice recipe, or place they are sold without these? I don't even know if they exist. My dad is very ill and it would mean all the world if I could suprise him with some.

Thanks, MFPers!

Replies

• Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of free paleo resources on the internet.

My favorites are:
    chowstalker.com
    thefoodee.com
    Whole9.com
    marksdailyapple.com

Each of these have tons of resources and links to other blogs. You shouldn't have any problem getting inspired!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    check out nomnompaleo, that is a great resource for paleo recipes.

There are baking recipes that aren't really paleo, but are gluten/soy/corn free. Chocolate mousse is a great dessert for that :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary if you like. Completely grain free, but there is some baking made with non-grains. Most of the soy is pretty obvious and will say "tofu" or "tempeh" or such. Just sub your real bacon for the tofu bacon!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with gluten, but I can't eat soy, and have trouble with wheat.

I tried making 100% rye bread in my bread maker. It wasn't all that stable, but it was better than having no bread at all.

While on a low-allergen diet for about a month, I used the gluten free pasta. It wasn't all that bad. And I know that most of the Prego spaghetti sauces are soy free, and they taste better, too. Not sure if they're gluten free, however.

Otherwise, just having a soy intolerance has been enough of a problem. There are very few things that are soy free. I have to make all my own bread, cook all my own meals, and avoid nearly every restaurant in the area. It's not easy at times.

Good luck!
  • trailriderdee
    Options
    www.itspaleo.com and it's recipe site www.apaleorecipeaday.com is the biggest list of recipes I've found that are gluten/corn/grain free clean type recipes.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Prego sauces are Gluten-free. I have to be gluten-free unfortunately my baking experience is using cornstarch as one of my flours. Although you can substitute tapioca for cornstarch, they have the same properties. My basic bread recipe is:

2.5 cups GF flour blend (listed below)
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp xanthan gum (I'm fairly certain this is corn/soy free but you might want to double check me)
    1.5 cups warm water
    1 Tbsp (or one packet) yeast
    1 Tbsp sugar
    3 eggs
    1 tsp cidar vinegar
    1.5 Tbsp oil (I use plain applesauce)

Heat oven to 375 degrees and grease standard loaf pan. Put yeast and sugar in warm water and let it foam/dissolve. Meanwhile use a fork to combine flour, salt and xanthan gum. In a small bowl whisk eggs, cidar vinegar and oil/applesauce.
    Make a small well in the flour mixture and add both the water/yeast and eggs mixtures. I use one fork and mix until well blended. The batter will definitely be like thick cake batter and not like traditional bread dough. Put batter into loaf pan and smooth the top. Place on warm stovetop (your oven is on) and put a towel on top. Let dough rise until it's about doubled. Bake at 375 for about 45-60 minutes. Bread is done with top is golden brown and it sounds hollow when you thump it. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan and then cool completely on a wire rack out of the pan so the bottom doesn't get soggy.

I know you were asking about other specifics but just wanted to throw that out there for bread. :)

My GF flour blend:

3 cups tapioca or cornstarch
    3 cups potato starch
    3 cups white rice flour
    2 cups brown rice flour
    1 cup sweet rice flour

I use my large KitchenAid mixer and the paddle attachment on low for about 10 minutes. Then I keep it in an air-tight container and use in place of flour in 'traditional' recipes.