Let's talk tableware

Options
I think my biggest white whale, so to speak, is relearning portion sizes. As an American, especially in the years since the fast food revolution we've had, I've come to believe that I need to eat huge portions. Obviously, we all know that's wrong! I think that by replacing my tableware (plates, bowls, etc.) with new ones that hold less food, I'll be better able to stick with smaller portions.

My question is, where do I go to find them? I only need about two or three of each piece (two bowls, two forks, two plates, etc.) because I'm just a college student, but I would like them to be microwavable, so preferably not plastics. Does anyone know where I can buy things like this on a college student budget? How are thrift stores for this type of thing?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Walmart? K-Mart? Target?

They sell lots of dinnerware by the piece and not a whole set. Thrift Store's or Goodwill isn't a bad idea either.
    Just check the back of whatever kind you buy that is is microwaveable, like you want.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You can go to a place like Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, or even a Thrift store or consignment shop and buy "open stock." It sounds like, for the purpose of portion control, you really only need the "salad plate" (usually 8in in diameter) as your "main" plate. You can buy a food scale at the same places. All your existing stuff is fine -- utensils, cups, etc.

You can also buy child size stuff -- do you like Spider Man or Tinker Bell? :smile:
  • BlueIdyll
    BlueIdyll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can go to a place like Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, or even a Thrift store or consignment shop and buy "open stock." It sounds like, for the purpose of portion control, you really only need the "salad plate" (usually 8in in diameter) as your "main" plate. You can buy a food scale at the same places. All your existing stuff is fine -- utensils, cups, etc.

You can also buy child size stuff -- do you like Spider Man or Tinker Bell? :smile:

Hahaha Tinker Bell's kinda cool, she's sassy :P

That's what I'm worried about though, when I posted this topic. I know places like Walmart will have tableware, but I'm worried that I'm only going to find sizes that conform to the widespread belief that bigger is better. I'd love to hear some personal experience from people who found small bowls and plates for adults. I'd rather not have to buy princess dinnerware! lol
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Target. They have every thing out where you can buy just one or two, and they are only a couple dollars each. Also they are much nicer than Walmart's dishes. I learned that the hard way. My first dish set was from Walmart, and within a year I had to go out and buy new ones. I bought some from target, and have had them for a couple of years now. Also, check Kroger and Dollar Tree. From time to time, they have some really nice ceramic dishes out that are really inexpensive.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a thrift store. It depends on the store but many of them have a good selection, and they cost next to nothing.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Most of these stores sell dinnerware individually. Sure you will find boxed sets that might be full sets, but don't buy those. I know at Walmart alone I have seen the section with individual salad plates, bowls, glasses, serving pieces, etc. Same with Target, they sell several pieces separate from a full boxed set.

Walmart(dot)com, type in salad plate. You will pull up a ton of options, most varrying in sizes from 7-8.5 inches.

Actually, dessert plates are much smaller. Lots of those in search too.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I got mine from Amazon - the US site actually has a selection, whereas the UK site only had plain white - which was fine by me:)

My mum just got a couple of things from IKEA very cheap - do you have IKEA in the US?

I use "chinese style" bowls - these were a masive craze in the 90's so now there are millions in charity shops for pennies...
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Salad plate for your dinner plate... dessert bowl for your cereal bowl... appetizer serving bowl if it is the size you want. Juice cup as your milk cup. Think outside of the box! Target. Walmart. Bed Bath & Beyond. It's all there; tak a look-see.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Re-learning portions IS hard to do but by no means impossible! I have done it without getting new table ware by using my measuring spoons, measuring cups, and kitchen scale religiously. I am getting a little better at judging/estimating without them which is helpful when I am NOT at home. I do know that Correlle ware has a med. sized dinner plate that is between the salad plate and the the tradional large dinner plate for some of their patterns and you can usually get them open stock at Walmart, etc... My mom has some that are just plain white and uses them for the younger grandkids at family dinners! (They look just like the "adults" plates) Good luck!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I use dessert bowls for smaller portions and the spoons you can buy for eating ice cream sundaes are good. I also use pickle forks for smaller forks. :)
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Re-learning portions IS hard to do but by no means impossible! I have done it without getting new table ware by using my measuring spoons, measuring cups, and kitchen scale religiously. I am getting a little better at judging/estimating without them which is helpful when I am NOT at home. I do know that Correlle ware has a med. sized dinner plate that is between the salad plate and the the tradional large dinner plate for some of their patterns and you can usually get them open stock at Walmart, etc... My mom has some that are just plain white and uses them for the younger grandkids at family dinners! (They look just like the "adults" plates) Good luck!

AGREE 100% with this post... I also bought the correlle "salad" plates which are a step down from the dinner plates and a step up from a bread/dessert plate... they are what a normal sized plate SHOULD be...
    their bowls hold almost exactly 1 cup of cereal which is USUALLY a serving size
    and they also have a smaller sized bowl like a 1/2 size of a cereal bowl that is considered a dessert bowl... ( say for your 1/2 cup of ice cream or whatever)
    also use a salad fork which is smaller than a dinner fork and a dessert spoon instead of a teaspoon....
    I have my trusty set of measuring cups ( 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 C) that I use to measure measure measure
    and my measuring spoons (especially the tablespoon & teaspoon...they get the most use)
    plus i use an online food measurement site that translates cups into teaspoons and grams into liters, cups, whatever....
    it helps me to translate some of the mumbo jumbo into normal measurements i can understand
    here it is:

Food Measurement Conversion Calculator
    http://www.calcul.com/cooking-conversion?type=liquid&qty_t=decimal&qty=3&liquidFrom[1]=1&liquidTo[18]=18

good luck on your journey, hope this all helped :flowerforyou:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I found weighing all my food gave me the right portion sizes and it's amazing how quickly you learn what a cup of rice or 100grams of pasta twirls starts to look like! I'd use my normal plates, eat smaller portions and fill the plate with salad! x
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Ikea if you've got one nearby :) also, Crate and Barrel surprisingly sells separate place settings for pretty cheap. 3 bucks a plate or so maybe.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Goodwill on their 50% off days. Can't beat it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Target, Ikea, Walmart, even Bed Bath and Beyond I believe sells individual inexpensive dishes as opposed to sets.

However, instead of investing in new dishes, why not get a digital food scale and weigh our your portions? Having a smaller bowl won't tell you for sure if you're only eating one serving of cereal, but a food scale will.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A quick Google search of "portion control tableware" (http://tinyurl.com/74vwmyh) brought up some really interesting options that I think I'll be taking a look at myself. (I'm guessing you're going to find something a lot more specific to your needs/wants online.)

Edit: /agree. Weighing is the most accurate option, but I don't think something like this would be a bad visual backup for relearning appropriate portion sizes.
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ikea.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells individual small Corelle plates and bowls. They are inexpensive and will last a long time, can be used in the freezer, microwave and are dishwasher safe. You can get plain white or some with designs. If you really want to go cheaper, go to your local Goodwill! They usually have tons of dishes, they are cheap to buy and if you get sick of what you have or break one you can go back and get dif. ones.
  • BlueIdyll
    BlueIdyll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh, I measure out almost everything I eat, anyway. But I think it would help greatly if I tricked myself visually into thinking hey, this is a lot! Even though it's the same amount I'm eating, the portion looks a lot more measly when it's swimming in these giant bowls I have.

And thanks, I didn't think to try googling that! (I was totally unaware such things existed!) I'm gonna take a look through that now :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    thrift shops and yard sales, you can usually find dishes and silverware for dirt cheap.