Help with posture!

Options
I have absolutely AWFUL posture! i am hunched over, like, all the time. i know it is gross looking and i want to fix it. i'm wondering if anyone has come across any basic exercises or stretches to help me improve. i'm looking for something like a quick routine in the morning to help me with it. i've tried just reminding myself to sit up straighter, but after a few minutes by back starts to hurt and eventually i forget what i am supposed to be doing. any advice is really appreciated!

Replies

• SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Yeah Im in the same boat. I was in a leg brace and wheel chair for several years as a child so I developed bad posture. My right leg is shorter than my left leg by a little more than an inch so that's contributing to bad posture/alignment. I definitely need some help with this.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Here are some good ones...
    http://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu/ex_posture.html

Also the more you keep good posture the easier it will become! I am a huncher too...as I work hunched over a computer all day! But I really try to be mindful of it!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Rowing is good.

Sometimes you also just need to get up out of your chair and stretch. I try to get up every hour when I'm at work.
  • bmcmforfun
    Options
    2 things that have helped my posture: #1 while in seated position, suck in your belly and hold for 10 sec increments. I try to do at least 5 sets of these at a time, if not more, several times a day. #2 lay on your belly, arms stretched out straight out above your head and legs straight out. Relax all your muscles like your sleeping on your stomach. Then flex up toward the sky while pointing your fingers straight out and toes straight out like your flying like Superman. Squeeze all the muscles you can and hold for 20sec. then relax for 5 seconds. Repeat 3-5 sets. You will be sore for a couple days but it is all worth it. Both of these exercises will work your core, your back muscles, neck/shoulder muscles and your butt muscles if you squeeze them in the Superman move. LOL Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me. Best wishes.
    Carol
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Is it at work, sitting at a desk? My back was hurting, a new work chair with really good lumbar support helped a lot!!

It'll take a long time for you to retrain yourself, but constantly reminding yourself to work your core, use your muscles whilst not moving will help. Put reminders everywhere sit/stand up straight.

Good luck... I might put up a couple post its around to reinforce my own posture.

Thanks for reminding me :)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been hopeless, an inveterate leg-crossing sloucher... so I made a radical shift and converted my desk to a standing desk.

It's helped a good deal, I've had it for 2 weeks now, but I agree also that those UCLA ergonomics exercises above, or something similar, are very valuable for body re-training.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! these are great tips!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have found Yoga very helpful when it comes to my posture. I only do it 1-2 times a week, never for longer than 30 mins or so. It always feels so good afterwards though and I find my posture improving when I stick with it.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you want exercise to help your posture, I highly recommend some beginner's yoga classes. Gaiam makes a DVD (if you can't get to a class) called Yoga for Weight Loss Conditioning that is very good.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I will frequently wear a tight fitting corset beneath my shirt. They are extremely sexy...and they also help my posture tremendously. Even when I take the corset off, I find that my posture is still proper....especially while sitting:-)