what pushed you to get healthy?

Options
I love hearing about peoples success stories and motivations. When I feel that i'm lacking motivation it helps drive me :) to know that i'm not alone. I have been overweight my whole life and I got to a point in life where I finally couldn't take it anymore my tipping point was when I hurt my foot and couldn't put ointment behind my pinky because I was too fat.. I had to ask my husband to do it for me I am only 24....if it's this bad now how bad is it going to be when we get older.. that day changed my habits for good :) and I am thankful!

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    diabetus.jpg
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I was tired all the time and felt generally unwell. Changing my eating habits and my lifestyle helped so much! :)
  • prmilkshake
    Options
    diabetus.jpg

omg that drives me nuts! Its diabetes! lol mine is when i stepped on the scale and was 30lbs over the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I was like ok, no more. This needs to go down NOW! I've been at this since right after christmas probably, haven't lost a whole lot of weight, though it takes a while to figure out whats going to work FOR YOU.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Haha! Finding out my mom and my grandma both have diabetes was a big motivator for me. I think that, and just a general sluggish feeling that I was ready to get rid of.

I don't mind being overweight. It's all the effects of being overweight that I want to avoid.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My reason was pretty shallow :( . My friend got engaged and asked me to be her bridesmaid. I realized that I was overweight and needed to make a change! Might as well make a change to be able to look awesome in a bridesmaid dress, so that was my reason. Being stronger and having better endurance were just perks.
  • AutumnVelvet
    Options
    What pushed me was actually negative events in my life, & now I'm just trying to pick up the pieces & build some confidence. As well as self-esteem!
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The first time I was super serious about it was when I was 26/27, my dad had just died (not due to being over weight or anything, he died from basically old age) and I went to the Dr and he said that I was in very serious danger of being put on b/p meds. This time, it's because a lot of my clothes don't fit, and I refuse to buy clothes in a bigger size when I have a perfectly great wardrobe in a smaller size
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i had a feeling that if i dont get off my *kitten* and do something about my weight that i will probably die soon and i thought about what my son would go through and it broke my heart. my dad was sick my entire life even though he wasnt obese and he could never do anything with me and i dont want him to go through that or ever be embarassed of my weight. so that is what brought me here
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor just after Thanksgiving with a cough that I just couldn't kick and when I got on the scale I weighed 190 pounds. I almost fell over. I hadn't weighed that much since I was pregnant 7 years ago. The strange thing is that I've been wearing the same size since I lost the "baby weight" so I hadn't even really noticed that my weight had changed so much. It was kind of amazing that I stumbled across the MFP app the same day when I was playing around with my phone. I took that as my sign to do something about it.
  • Mia2891
    Mia2891 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got tired of saying "I'm going to lose this weight one day." One day I thought that to myself and thought No! I'm going to do it now! here I am 5 months later and so far 53 lbs lighter.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it was a bit circuitous. I knew I was out of shape and over weight. I knew I should do something about it.

One evening during my son's soccer practice I noticed a couple of adult teams playing on an adjacent field but it wasn't a younger mens competitive league - it was old guys like me and there was one player in particular who was big, really big and I thought "if he can do it what's my excuse". That fall I signed up for old-timer indoor soccer and that was when I really realized what rotten shape I was in - a few minutes on the pitch and I was ready to barf.

Coincidentally that fall my older brother (who had always been skinnier than me and at least moderately active) had a mild stroke.

So I started running to improve my fitness and reduce my chances of having a heart attack or stroke. I could barely run around the block but I persisted and slowly built up my endurance. I viewed it as a chore but actually grew to love running. In 2009 I ran my first 5K, in 2011 I ran my first 10K and half-marathon.......(and I'm still playing soccer, we've had an over 50 league in Ottawa that grew from 6 teams in 2010 to 12 in 2011)
  • chipaddict
    Options
    Sooo many reasons. I'm trying for a baby and have poly-cystic ovaries, so the more weight I lose the better my chances. I lost my job last year and have depression, so have not been taking care of myself, and comfort eating. I swore I would never get over a size 12 (again) and have been living in leggings to convince myself I'm not an 18/20 now. My mum has serious medical complications due to Type 2 Diabetes and caring for her has made me realise what an awful condition it is :( I'm getting married. I can't look at myself naked in the mirror anymore. I have new stretch marks.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    honestly?

I think what got me to really start to change was the fact that I couldnt walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath.:embarassed: :grumble:
    :bigsmile:
    I dont like being winded... :embarassed:

makes me feel weak...

hate admitting weakness ( of which I have many...)

:laugh:
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting any younger. I don't want to look back on my life and say, Why didn't I ever get in shape? If I had I could've hiked that trail or chased after my Grandchildren with ease!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    For me it was many reasons! The two most major reasons were infertility and all the other medical problems I have, I felt like I was on my death bed. I was eating myself into an early grave! So, knowing all this started to push me to do better, to be better so that I can have kids before it's too late and so I can be healthy as well!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    On Christmas I went to my grandmas house and she has a bathroom scale (i didn't have one at the point so I had no idea how much I weighed) so I stepped on and I was 162 or something like that which is more than I had ever been. Decided to try and lose some wight. I am 143 as of this morning and at a good weight (I know, it wasn't much to lose) Now I'm just really into it. I'm not stopping at losing weight, I want to tone up and build muscle and run races and just be fit and healthy.
  • Luke_Quist
    Luke_Quist Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Became tired of being lazy and just not living to my potential.

On December 18th, 2011 - I decided that I would not use the following two weeks as a crutch (excuse) to pig out. Instead decided to begin logging in my food diary everyday and to hit the gym 5 days/week. During those holidays, I only took two days off (Christmas Day and New Year's Day).

To date, I've lost 18 pounds and 5% of my body fat. Just began lifting (for the first time in my life) three weeks ago - muscle definition is difinitely increasing and makes me want to push even harder. Thanks to all of my (current and soon-to-be) MFP peeps for the support and encouragement along the way. It's been a fun ride! :)
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I lost and gained a few times. Just got really sick of yo-yoing.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I was curious if it were really possible for me to lose weight. Turned out it was. :D
  • Fretzy
    Fretzy Posts: 9
    Options
    tired, depressed and sick. Wanted to be more confident, especially with the females.