Calorie/Cooking Question

Options
I made my own breakfast sausage this morning by simply browning some ground turkey and adding traditional sausage spices.

The Jenny O ground turkey states 170 calories per 4oz serving. I used 2 20oz packages, then after cooking weighed out 4oz on my food scale and put it into little baggies. I got 6 4oz baggies, and one 2.5oz.

If I add the meat into the recipe calculator I get 260 calories per serving, because I only got 6.6 servings, versus the 10 Jenny O said I should have.

Which one is right? 170 for 4oz or 260 for 4oz cooked?

I'm guessing the 170 is for precooked weight, which is kind of a big difference from the cooked calories. Makes me rethink how Ive been tracking cooked meat.

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • findingfit23
    Options
    After carefully considering all your responses, I've decided to go with the higher number to be safe.
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The calorie count for the turkey is based on 4 ounces pre-cook weight so calculate it based on the number of servings prior to cooking.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    4 oz should be the raw weight. I think they usually figure to weigh 3 oz cooked weight for a serving. I usually just look at how many servings the package says and then weigh the entire cooked portion and divide it by the number of servings in the package. Then I know how much 1 serving should weigh.
  • jenlyn1101
    jenlyn1101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think you are right to go with the higher number. I am pretty sure the calories on the package are precooked. You can always weigh it out and separate before cooking to get the lower count. Don't quote me on this, but I think that's how it works.
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You started off with 2 20 ounces packages so it was 10 servings - the calories are based on that so you should have divided it into 10 equal servings. Just like if you just cooked it as a 4 ounces burger/patty you would base the calories on the pre-cook weight. Hope that helps
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    You started off with 2 20 ounces packages so it was 10 servings - the calories are based on that so you should have divided it into 10 equal servings. Just like if you just cooked it as a 4 ounces burger/patty you would base the calories on the pre-cook weight. Hope that helps
    ^this.
    since you already divided it up into 6 and a partial, the higher number is probably correct for your situation.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I buy that type of turkey all the time.

170 is for the precooked weight. I weigh my serving and my husbands serving then cook them in separate pans...a little more work but then we both get the exact.

If you want to cook it all at once then weigh it, I'd just go with the number of servings on the container (ex if it says 4 servings divide it into 4ths) then weigh it until each 4th weighs the same...it should equal out to 170/serving

I couldn't tell you what the cooked weight is because I don't weigh it after.
  • bmac1996acc
    Options
    I know what you're getting at I think. I was thinking the saw thing when I browned some ground chuck. The calories are based on the entire precooked mount. When I brown it I pour off the grease/fat that came out of the meat. This that is poured off is part of the fat content included in the calorie amount but is not being consumed. That said.... I have no idea how much should be deducted, I just use the original calorie amount. I'm guessing the grease that came out of your turkey patties and wasn't weighed is why your serving numbers was lower based on weight.
  • findingfit23
    Options
    Thanks! Next time ill try dividing into 3oz servings and see how many I get.