Couch to 5K

Options
Was wondering if anyone that isn't an athletic type tried the couch to 5k and if it's helped with weight loss. A friend of mine said it's really helping her.

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you call 'an athletic type'...
    Many people here have done / are doing it. There's even a group here dedicated to it.
    Why not just give it a try - wha would you lose?
    I am on week 4 and make myself go out every other day, no matter the weather. I'd only be cheating myself if I didn't, or didn't give it my all...
    Anyways, I am starting to enjoy running, and even wondering why the h€ll we didn't do it this way in school...
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I consider myself athletic, but NEVER a runner. I downloaded Get Running! onto my iPod and loved it. The concept is the same but it allowed me to listen to my own music in the background...at the time (several years ago) that was not an option on C25K. Give it a try! It won't hurt. As soon as I started running, belly fat literally melted off. It worked in places that years of heavy duty road and trail cycling never did.

So yes, I tell my friends to try C25K or GetRunning! whenever I have the chance to :)
  • pasassez
    pasassez Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm super out of shape and C25K has really helped me. Once I started dedicating myself to it, I've been losing weight faster and gaining endurance. Not to mention the fact that now, when I'm stressed, I want to run instead of eat. I'm only on Week 2 but I don't plan on stopping!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Successfully. I now look forward to my runs three days a week. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose but weight!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    DO IT!

Anyone can do couch to 5k and any exercise will help weight loss!

Couch to 5k started my weight loss and also ended my pack a day smoking habit :-)
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Started C25K in May of 2011. Down 40lbs and now training for my first half marathon! I HATED running and now I LOVE it!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have an athletic build to do the program. The important thing is to do the intervals but imo, don't get focused on the distance, just run at pace you can manage and do the intervals as listed. There have been many people who have repeated as week based on their fitness level as well, so if you find it hard to progress, just go back and do your previous week twice.

Good luck :)
  • Cholbrook008
    Cholbrook008 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 1st week of Couch to 5K and in one week I have lost one full inch in my waist. My weight has stayed about the same but I am sure it will start going down soon.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I am definitely NOT the athletic type (at least I wasn't when I started), and I did a c25k-like program through a local running store - I'm now a 5k addict and have been running regularly now for 3 years :-) Like others have said, start out slow, and just follow the program - it works, and it's a lot of fun if you don't overdo it when you start. You can work on speed and distance later :-) Just work on endurance and enjoying yourself for now. Good luck!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 1st week of Couch to 5K and in one week I have lost one full inch in my waist. My weight has stayed about the same but I am sure it will start going down soon.

I can tell you from my own experience, there were weeks that I didn't lose any weight and then suddenly I would lose alot quickly. My female cousin had the same experience. So don't get discouraged if you don't lose right away, it will happen.
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I would like to do this, just a little nervous. I hate running and get tired easily. I do like the progression of it...an ease into it. I should do it!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start it next week hopefully but I'm not doing it to lose weight. Just to become a runner lol.
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Newbie here .... and this is my first post, but just wanted to say that I've just started the c25k program also.
    I have just today completed Week 3 Day 1 and I'm so impressed at how easily the program makes it to progress. I'm actually feeling really motivated and I have to stop myself from doing it every day - just to make sure I give myself rest days to recover. I am very unfit - after having my two babies I have not exercised in about 4 years! This program is the BOMB!! Do it :)
  • wilkerson
    wilkerson Posts: 26
    Options
    my friend at work and her husband was doing it and loved it, im gonna try it soon
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 7th week of couch to 5k now but I don't think it made any difference in my weight loss to be honest.

I'm a lot fitter and stronger, my stamina is massively improving, and my aim literally is to be able to run a 5k. But when it comes to weight loss and toning I'd recommend doing something like "the 30 day shred".
  • bfeld86
    bfeld86 Posts: 1
    Options
    i think for beginners it is important to start slowly. when i started "jogging" it was more like really fast walking. after a while i started small running and walking phases, meaning: 1 min run, 1 min walk. repeat that 10x. do that for like 1-2 weeks. soon you will be able to increase the time running to 5-10 mins. it is important to run on a regular basis. start off by 3x week.

well, thats how i started. and i lost 36kg, ran 2 marathons. so get off the couch and move yourself ;)

good luck with that!

and whats been said: all you can loose is your weight. but be careful with your ligaments and ankles. they will need some time to get used to the exertion