food scale? should i get one

Options
I was just wondering about food scales. I've been thinking of getting one because I am not always that good at estimating, and also to learn what 1 portion of different foods REALLY are. Just wondering what someone who uses one thinks - does it help you a lot? Is it harder to log food on mfp with one? I know that a lot of items in the database have food in grams, but I don't want to constantly have to be entering new foods if something isn't in grams.

Also, what brand do you have, how much was it, and should I buy it? :)

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    It is one of the best purchases I have made.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I use mine EVERY DAY. It's a cheapo non-digital scale for less than $10 but it gets the job done and like you said- taught me what serving sizes REALLY are. get one!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I got the cheapest one available at Walmart. Might not be the "most" accurate, but it's great for measuring meat out because I'm trying to eat more protein and eyeballing it just doesn't really do it for me.
  • AmyWalsh711
    AmyWalsh711 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I use mine daily. On Sundays I use it to portion out my meats, pasta, veggies and cereal for the week! I baggie up everything that way during the week I can just cook and go! I got a Biggest Loser digital scale at WalMart for $25. Well worth the money! You really see how out of control portions are when you start measuring your own stuff!
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I bought mine online for about $25, and it was more than worth it. I had no idea how small some "servings" of food were until I started weighing them.
  • celindaasmith
    celindaasmith Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Buy It! Not questions asked! Buy a cheap one to get your started. It's great for meat/fish and even weighing out veggies/fruit for recipes. I love mine. Got it from Amazon for not much $$$.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Use mine daily-- not an expensive one either-- but a good one-- I weigh my meat, potatoes & snack chips like baked tostitos, the veggie straws ect ....
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I got the cheapest one available at Walmart. Might not be the "most" accurate, but it's great for measuring meat out because I'm trying to eat more protein and eyeballing it just doesn't really do it for me.

Same here. Nothing fancy but does the job.
  • verymuchalivex
    Options
    Thanks for posting this because I was thinking of getting one but I didn't. Now that I have seen everyone else's responses I am going to get one! Thanks EVERYONE!!! I love the tips I find on here. Anyone can add me if you like.
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes!! It's an amazing tool! I use that and my measuring cups all the time!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I think i will definitely get one then!
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I got a digital one at K-Mart for around $20. Before that I really had no idea what a single boneless chicken thigh weighed or what a talapia filet weighed. Now I measure lots of things and I know I can acturately record what I eat. I was over estimating some things so I found out I could acutally eat more! If you are going to do MFP you almost have to have a scale to measure your foods.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this because I was thinking of getting one but I didn't. Now that I have seen everyone else's responses I am going to get one! Thanks EVERYONE!!! I love the tips I find on here. Anyone can add me if you like.

yep I am going to get one too. I learn so much from mfp too! i would never have thought of using a food scale before I joined this site. Actually I don't even know if I knew that was a thing. haha
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Oh and the one I got measures ounces or grams.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is one of the best tools you can have in your kitchen!
  • babybig
    babybig Posts: 1
    Options
    I got mine for 30 bucks, its a digital scale and very accurate. I use it alllll the time and if it broke down id buy another immediatly!! 30 bucks in Alaska so down in the lower 48 states it will be cheaper!
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Absolutely, I have had mine for over a year and still use it at least once a day. It's very eye-opening when you actually weight out your portions.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options

I totally agree.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    YES! Get one! I have a simple one from KMart that only cost like $6.