food scale? should i get one

Options

Replies

• TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes get one!! Totally shocked on how many calories where really in the chicken breasts I eat.
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    once I got my scale I realized that I had been eating much larger servings than I should have.
    I use mine everyday and its one of the best tools I ever bought to help me lose weight.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It is one of the best purchases I have made.

Ditto. I wish I would have bought mine sooner!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap digital one from Walmart, and love it. Just like mfp, I dig the numbers. I find it amazing just what a serving, say 3oz is, and how full you can get by staying at 1 serving.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    AB.SO.LUTELY.

Best thing ever for accurate calorie-tracking!!! I LOVE MINE. It's an EatSmart and was only $15 online. It has been through a cross-country move and inestimable kitchen abuse and it still works like a charm over a year later. :) I weigh EVERYTHING. Even my wine! :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I just purchased one from Amazon that was recommended on here from some people and has over 3,000 positive reviews. It's only $25 with free shipping and you can toggle the reading from kg to grams to pounds and ounces. It has a tare button so you can zero out the weight of the plate or container. Love it!

EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!

I had a $5 manual one from WalMart that worked great for YEARS, and really opened my eyes to portion sizes! Couple months ago I bout a new digital one from Avon ($19 on the site, but I'm an Avon rep, so I got a discount).

It's easy to use, easy to zero out if I want to measure my stuff as i"m putting it into the bowl, easy to switch back and forth between grams, kg, and oz. You can get them at almost any store for about the same price.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    We have 2 of them and weigh everything that we eat. Measuring is not nearly as accurate because everyone sees "1/2 cup" as a different level of full.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to reiterate -- YES! Seriously, I was so shocked when I started weighing stuff how small some portions were. Like cereal. I weighed it instead of using the standard 3/4 cup measurement they give and I was shocked.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people would think if I pulled out an old school portable scale at restaurants?
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap digital one from Walmart, and love it. Just like mfp, I dig the numbers. I find it amazing just what a serving, say 3oz is, and how full you can get by staying at 1 serving.

I never thought of it, but I think that's why I'm interested in one too - i love the numbers too, haha! I'm about to get my masters in accounting, so I guess that explains it :)
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    I just purchased one from Amazon that was recommended on here from some people and has over 3,000 positive reviews. It's only $25 with free shipping and you can toggle the reading from kg to grams to pounds and ounces. It has a tare button so you can zero out the weight of the plate or container. Love it!

EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity

Thanks! That's the one I was looking at actually!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    I wonder what people would think if I pulled out an old school portable scale at restaurants?

omg... u'r stupid... hahahahahah
  • alise_lmx
    Options

Lol there's your next forum topic - Truth or Dare - Dare: use food scale in public restaurant, must take picture for proof :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    i use mine every day!! along with a table spoon
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    We have 2 of them and weigh everything that we eat. Measuring is not nearly as accurate because everyone sees "1/2 cup" as a different level of full.

Yeah I am such a bad measurer. I usually just eyeball it. And I know I can't be very accurate :)
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It is one of the best purchases I have made.

My thought as well.
    I'm a little addicted to it actually. :smile:
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely get one. Even if somebody considered themselves to be "really good at guessing" I would also recommend they get one as well.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap digital one for $20.00 at Wallymart!!!....and I love it!!! :bigsmile:
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Lol there's your next forum topic - Truth or Dare - Dare: use food scale in public restaurant, must take picture for proof :)

Definitely have done this before... lol people look at you like your crazy basically... People look at me like I'm crazy half the time anyways! So its all good.