Question about upping my caloric intake?

Options
I've been on a 1,000 calorie deficit for the past 3 months and have been doing well. I've lost a little over 30 pounds so far. I'm considering upping my caloric intake by 500 so I'll only have a 500 calorie deficit. Will this make me gain a little weight at first and then start losing, or what? I'm wondering this because my body might have gotten used to it but I'm still losing so I don't know. Have any of you had any experience with this?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    In my experience it hasn't. You should still be in a deficit so you shouldn't gain fat. The only issue I could see is an increase in water retention if you increase your sodium intake.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    it did for me. I just finished upping my calories baby-step like over the last month and a half and I definitely gained some and yoyo'd in the middle but stick with it, your metabolism will learn the new game and then you'll even out to where you were and start losing again :o)
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There is a new group on here called Eat More to Weigh Less. You should check it out. It will answer a lot of your questions.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You might see a temporary gain as your body adjusts, but you might not.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 1,000 calorie deficit for the past 3 months and have been doing well. I've lost a little over 30 pounds so far. I'm considering upping my caloric intake by 500 so I'll only have a 500 calorie deficit. Will this make me gain a little weight at first and then start losing, or what? I'm wondering this because my body might have gotten used to it but I'm still losing so I don't know. Have any of you had any experience with this?

You could try reducing the deficit by 100 cal/week to let your body ease into it.
  • patebishop
    Options
    There is a new group on here called Eat More to Weigh Less. You should check it out. It will answer a lot of your questions.
    Link please?
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I am not sure if you have done this yet or not, but my advice would be find out your BMR and your TDEE, try fit-fat radio (google search it). It will tell you everything you need to know about what your body is using just to maintain your current weight or what not. You will need your exact weight and measurements. It is extremely beneficial to ensure your losing fat and not lean muscle.

What are you doing as far as exercise? I know that as soon as i upped my calories to 1600-1800 net, and started lifting weights I lost inches and pounds. (i am 5'2 and looking to lose another 30 or so)

good luck!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • patebishop
    Options
    I am not sure if you have done this yet or not, but my advice would be find out your BMR and your TDEE, try fit-fat radio (google search it). It will tell you everything you need to know about what your body is using just to maintain your current weight or what not. You will need your exact weight and measurements. It is extremely beneficial to ensure your losing fat and not lean muscle.

What are you doing as far as exercise? I know that as soon as i upped my calories to 1600-1800 net, and started lifting weights I lost inches and pounds. (i am 5'2 and looking to lose another 30 or so)

good luck!
    I go to my local wellness center every day. I run at least a mile on the treadmill everytime and asides from that I either do a few miles on the elliptical, bike, or both of them depending on how I feel. For the past few days I also have started to lift weights to increase strength
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have slowly been increasing my calories over the last few weeks. I was eating on average 1150-1250 per day. The first week I went to 1350 per day. The second week i increased to 1450 per day. During this time I have lost 4 lbs!! So the increase was a very positive thing:))) This week I plan on going to 1550 and staying there for the time being.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    I think as long as you have a deficit you will continue to lose. just maybe not as quickly.
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options

good luck!
    I go to my local wellness center every day. I run at least a mile on the treadmill everytime and asides from that I either do a few miles on the elliptical, bike, or both of them depending on how I feel. For the past few days I also have started to lift weights to increase strength

If you are working out that much, an increase in calories will probably help you. You will probably feel more energized, providing you are eating good food lol. Try an increase for a week or two and see how that works out. I would definitley do the fat-fit radio calculations, it helped me a lot. I had no idea I burned 1700 a day doing nothing ! It helps when you know what your body needs. Everyone is different though, so find what works for you.
  • patebishop
    Options

good luck!

If you are working out that much, an increase in calories will probably help you. You will probably feel more energized, providing you are eating good food lol. Try an increase for a week or two and see how that works out. I would definitley do the fat-fit radio calculations, it helped me a lot. I had no idea I burned 1700 a day doing nothing ! It helps when you know what your body needs. Everyone is different though, so find what works for you.
    Alright thanks. I'm now consuming 1770 instead of 1270. I'm 6'1" and 165 pounds if that helps. I'm also male
    Bump
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Link please?

sorry, here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less and there is a thread that explains TDEE and BMR, etc, as a previous poster brought up
  • patebishop
    Options
    Link please?

sorry, here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less and there is a thread that explains TDEE and BMR, etc, as a previous poster brought up
    thanks
  • patebishop
    Options
    Bump
  • patebishop
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • patebishop
    Options
    Bump for more replies