Weight loss at 45.

Options
I'm 45 years old and have been trying to lose 25 pounds but the scales seem to be going the other way. I seem to be be hungry all the time or just craving something all the time. My sedentary job is not helping the situation either. What happened to my will power???

Replies

• blessmy5
    blessmy5 Posts: 95
    Options
    For me, counting calories was just part of the equation. I had to eat the right foods, i.e. high protein!!! I shoot for a balance of 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein. And, exercise!!! After 40 our bodies are not very forgiving and need to move. I exercise an hour a day, six days a week, but can cut down to 4 and adjust my diet. Seems to work for me ~ hope this helps!
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found it helped me to do the eat smaller meals more often method. This helps keep your metabolism up, and hunger cravings down. Currently I eat a small (400-500 calorie) meal every three hours.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    For me, counting calories was just part of the equation. I had to eat the right foods, i.e. high protein!!! I shoot for a balance of 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein. And, exercise!!! After 40 our bodies are not very forgiving and need to move. I exercise an hour a day, six days a week, but can cut down to 4 and adjust my diet. Seems to work for me ~ hope this helps!

Perfect advice. I am 42 and would have typed the same thing. It takes more concrete effort when you are older.
  • musetta460
    musetta460 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am actually measuring my foods with a scale which is helping. My previous estimates were really off! I also wear a heart rate monitor to make sure that I reach my target heart rate (otherwise, on the elliptical, for example, I might cruise along while watching TV - -not good!). I am trying to make veggies the star of my plate and reduce the size of protein portion (this week, I have been using 3 oz portions of meat/fish instead of about twice that). I am planning healthy snacks between meals.
    I am trying to eat more slowly and savor my food. I have also really stepped up exercise.

Having said that, I also have seen a big difference now that I am over 40 in my metabolism. I used to shed pounds much more easily and seems I can't get away with late night snacking like I used to . . . I also have a lot of trouble with restaurants -- the scale comes flying back up so quickly if I'm not careful.

Having said all this, I just started this particular program . . .

Hope this helps!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    No doubt it was easier when we were younger!
    I count calories/fat grams religiously but exercise is really where it's at for me. Adding weights to cardio really helps.
    I wasn't getting enough protein and now that I'm upping that I do feel better and have a lot more energy for more productive workouts.
    Dont be discouraged, most of us are in that boat right along side you. Keep on keepin' on and you'll find what works for you.
  • texastumbleweed1
    Options
    BUMP
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Water. Try the water. Your body is sending you signals that you interpret as hunger, but maybe it is searching for more water. When I keep my water on hand with a day at the desk it REALLY cuts down on urges to snack. You could also take bonus snacks to work for the munchies like celery, carrots, raw sugar snap peas, etc., that are low on cals, lots of crunch and taste.

I'm 55 and my ticker shows how much weight I have lost since October '11. You can do it, it just takes a lot more focus, more consistent diet and lots more exercise.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 - and refuse to use my age as an excuse (that is just me).

Are you eating enough - and the right foods - for me that means extra protein, lots of vegetables and salads and some healthy fats (nuts, avocado, olives etc) - protein or nuts is the only thing that satiates me when I really get the munchies or are truly hungry...

And exercise / activity - it keeps me healthy - and as a bonus means I can eat a bit more as well.....
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. I'm 49 and have been trying to lose 10 - 15 pounds. Started watching my calories and exercising and getting nowhere. Just this week, I decided to boost my protein intake and cut out refined sugars totally and have dropped a couple of pounds. At our age, every little thing we put in our mouths counts....gotta hate getting older...
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I have a low or inactive thyroid that doesn't help. And am taking tamoxifen for breast cancer and it has a side effect of weight gain.
  • bordakov
    bordakov Posts: 3
    Options
    I think if meal planning is done right there would be no cravings. So you would only need willpower to measure your food intake, track your exersize and plan your meals as accurate as possible. You have already got good advice about protein, carbs, fat. Here is another good advice http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518976-i-hit-51-lbs-pictures.
    Now I would like to draw your attention to SUGAR. MFP calculates your sugar need. DO NOT GO ABOVE THAT NUMBER. I discovered it is a key for me not to have cravings. And sugar is not only sweets. A lot of foods have plenty of sugar even if they do not taste sweet (milk, plain yougurt, tart apples, etc.) MFP have the numbers, use it for planning.
  • danmoffett
    danmoffett Posts: 110
    Options
    I've lost 155 pounds at age 57.
    I've found weight loss to be easy once you know what to eat and what to avoid. I live a high fat low carb lifestyle.
    I get to eat all the good stuff like real butter, high fat heavy cream. Great meats like beef and chicken with all the fat and skin left on.
    I eat all I want. I have NEVER counted a calorie. I don't work out at the gym. I found that you don't have to exercise t lose weight.
    I exercise now that I have lost the weight because I so much energy to work off.

It's been an interesting 24 months. I never dreamed I would lose so much or feel so good.

If I can do it, you can do it. Read my online blog for my story.

Dan
  • danmoffett
    danmoffett Posts: 110
    Options
    I think if meal planning is done right there would be no cravings. So you would only need willpower to measure your food intake, track your exersize and plan your meals as accurate as possible. You have already got good advice about protein, carbs, fat. Here is another good advice http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518976-i-hit-51-lbs-pictures.
    Now I would like to draw your attention to SUGAR. MFP calculates your sugar need. DO NOT GO ABOVE THAT NUMBER. I discovered it is a key for me not to have cravings. And sugar is not only sweets. A lot of foods have plenty of sugar even if they do not taste sweet (milk, plain yougurt, tart apples, etc.) MFP have the numbers, use it for planning.

Two slices of whole wheat bread will spike your blood sugar more than a snickers bar. Want to stop the cravings? Want to be able to miss meals and not be hungry? Read a book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, it will change your life.
    Don't weigh food, don't track your meals, just eat the right stuff and all you want, avoid the bad. You'll lose weight.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Two slices of whole wheat bread will spike your blood sugar more than a snickers bar. Want to stop the cravings? Want to be able to miss meals and not be hungry? Read a book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, it will change your life.
    Don't weigh food, don't track your meals, just eat the right stuff and all you want, avoid the bad. You'll lose weight.

^^^^^ This! I was doing quite well but then have been finding it really difficult to stick to my daily calories recently so I started tracking my sugar intake - wow! an eye-opener. It is scary just how many everyday foods (even savoury ones) are loaded with sugar! I don't believe your metabolism slows just because you (as in one) are in your forties - I do think the menopause probably makes a difference but thankfully not there yet.
    [/quote]
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I found it helped me to do the eat smaller meals more often method. This helps keep your metabolism up, and hunger cravings down. Currently I eat a small (400-500 calorie) meal every three hours.
    That would be perfect unless you are female, short and in your mid-40's. In that case, two and a half meals in (ie:less than 9 hours) and you'd be out of food/calories! LOL!

Seriously, though, I'm reading the responses because I have the same concerns. I'm 44 and although I have been able to lose a small amount of weight thus far, I'm concerned about trying to learn to live within my calories long-term. OP, thank you for asking this question.
  • 25sherry
    25sherry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I have never tracked my sugar so I guess I will start there. I know I have a weakness for sweets and breads. My main focus has always been fat and calories. Thanks again, this gives me a new avenue to pursue.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I think if meal planning is done right there would be no cravings.

I didn't even need to look at the picture to know that was written by a man. :smile:

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 - and refuse to use my age as an excuse (that is just me).

Are you eating enough - and the right foods - for me that means extra protein, lots of vegetables and salads and some healthy fats (nuts, avocado, olives etc) - protein or nuts is the only thing that satiates me when I really get the munchies or are truly hungry...

And exercise / activity - it keeps me healthy - and as a bonus means I can eat a bit more as well.....

What she said! Age should never be used as an excuse - it's what my sisters do and I never will. They're both about my height, but one weighs over 150 and the other is over 170 - and has hip and knee problems now. They tell me I'm crazy to want to weight what I do and work so hard for it - that after 50 you should carry a little extra weight in case you get sick, so you have reserves to fall back on. I tell them I don't plan to live my life planning to be sick.

Okay - rant over.. You can do it if you really want to. Watch your intake, exercise regularly, drink lots of water, sleep enough and it will work.

BTW - I'm 57 and my sisters are 58 and 56, respectively.
  • bambee2013
    bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time too. I am 47. I know it is hard work and working out more. Deirdre you are right. I need to stop making excuses for my age and just start doing it. I started today with a 3.5 mile walk and some sit ups and leg lifts today. I know will get instant results and feel better tomorrow.