Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Shallow hal too
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I see this discrepancy. There's only one thing for it, we have to normalise the site of overweight women in bikinis. I hereby vow that, regardless of my size, if it is unbearbly hot, and the sun is not shining down in all it's skin cancer giving intensity, I will strip to my bikini (or bra)!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Please take a look at the majority of action movies and romantic comedies. I don't see any pudgy or fat guys in many of these movies. It gets tiring about hearing how women are the only ones who have unrealistic expectations put on them by tv and movies.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Oh I missed the beach comment too. I've never heard anyone say "ohmigosh the nerve" because an overweight girl was wearing a bikini to the beach.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Please take a look at the majority of action movies and romantic comedies. I don't see any pudgy or fat guys in many of these movies. It gets tiring about hearing how women are the only ones who have unrealistic expectations put on them by tv and movies.

This is another valid point. I'm re-watching Mad Men right now, and I literally have the biggest crush on Jon Hamm ever. He is sooooo sexy. But he's an unrealistic ideal and we can't expect the average man to live up to him.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I just dont care
  • teschy123
    teschy123 Posts: 89
    Options
    Even Disney has done it!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaVPO2MHy7LeAHIP7Bsh0aPyZtKfcRnw5Jl1XevDh-kyAc7bDN

Just an FYI Disney Did not make Shrek!!! This girl is a Disney BUFF!!!
  • LyriByri
    LyriByri Posts: 54
    Options
    It really is a double standard. It's something I have thought about on occasion. It bothers me a lot. :/
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Oh I missed the beach comment too. I've never heard anyone say "ohmigosh the nerve" because an overweight girl was wearing a bikini to the beach.

Try a SoCal water park and listen to the onlookers when a bigger girl comes down the slides.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's not really a double standard when you realize that most things are written and directed by overweight men for other men :laugh:

another thing ive noticed is that in many movies and tv shows involving teens (i just watched the remake of fright night last night) it's usually the girl (who also way hotter than the boy) who's all about seducing the boy. :laugh: so these guys are not only rewriting their present, they are also rewriting their past :laugh:
  • rinkaaa
    rinkaaa Posts: 7
    Options
    awkward :P
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It gives bigger guys hope! lol

and speaking of double-standards....why are men allowed to walk around in public topless and not women????
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think that is true in real life too.

A woman's value is often placed on her: appearance, youth, sexual ability, "feminine" persona

A man's value is often placed on his: wallet, personality, coolness
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    it's not really a double standard when you realize that most things are written and directed by overweight men for other men :laugh:

another thing ive noticed is that in many movies and tv shows involving teens (i just watched the remake of fright night last night) it's usually the girl (who also way hotter than the boy) who's all about seducing the boy. :laugh: so these guys are not only rewriting their present, they are also rewriting their past :laugh:

*Generalize overweight women*:
    2cnwbgg.jpg

*Generalize overweight men*:
    o6adcp.jpg
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    And Beauty and the Beast....it's ridiculous.

LOL THIS.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    No one can ever think of another hefty girl with hot guy example, though. I asked around. :/

Last Holiday
    Circle of Friends
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Bridget Jones
    Titanic (Kate Winslet was 165lbs and had a BMI in the overweight category)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Titanic (Kate Winslet was 165lbs and had a BMI in the overweight category)

She was gorgeous, I would have never put her in that line up lol it was a period piece also, women would be considered underweight back then.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    She was, and still is, a stunning woman. "Titanic" was released in 1997. I remember how the magazines went on and on about Kate's weight and celebrating a woman who wasn't a size 2 getting the leading role opposite a really hot guy. So yeah, gorgeous or not, period or not, she was still overweight and still belongs in my list. :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Really? I have, many times
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

Really? I have, many times

true dat! and what's weird is - i hear it more from women than i do from men. big meanie heads! :tongue: