Portable pre-gym snacks

Options
I go to the gym every day after school. I don't go home first because my gym is near my school and I'm broke with no money to waste gas. It's also harder for me to go once I'm home and comfortable. My problem is this: I eat lunch at 11:40 and start my workout at 3:40 or so. I don't eat anything between then because I am in class, and I usually don't have the energy to work out much, so I'm slipping, doing less and less each day. I went on Saturday after a good breakfast and I could really tell a difference in my energy level.

I need ideas for snacks I can put in my car or gym bag and eat right after school. Working out on an empty stomach just isn't doing it for me anymore. I would prefer high protein, moderate carb snacks because I have trouble staying within my carb limits and sometimes meeting my protein goal. Thanks! <3

Replies

• Samysalsa
    Samysalsa Posts: 45
    Options
    You could always get some Clif bars or trail mix
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    meal/granola bars - my favorites are Cliff bars, chewey chocolate granola, or honey oat granola. Or some fruit - banana, pear, apple.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Self prepackaged nuts (cheaper then store bought), trail mix, granola bars, celery sticks, carrots sticks, ready to go peanut butter.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Do you have an insulating lunch bag?

I like Low fat String cheese, Carrots, Peanut butter with a banana, homemade pinto beans in a wrap with veggies...
    If you drink protein shakes can you mix up one bottle's worth ( i pour mine into an empty water bottle) and take that with you.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would say some fruit that has a higher water content to give you energy and a bit of water all at the same time. Apples, oranges, grapes, etc.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    dried fruit like dates, raisins, cranberries, apricots, etc. Protein powders to mix in water, protien bars, string cheese, jerkey, etc. Any protien/carb combo will do it.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i have a whole wheat bagel with some extra low fat cream cheese.

the carbs from the bagel fuel my workout, I eat it on the way home from work so about 1.5/2 hours before I work out.

:)