Am I doing something wrong?

Options
:cry: I've been working out for about six weeks now. My physical appearance has changed a little, but the scale has not gone down. What's up with that?

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What are you doing and what is your overall goal? Personally, I don't worry too much about what the scale says in terms of weight. I focus more on muscle mass and body fat % readings. If you are seeing changes in your physique and feel more toned in the process, then keep on plugging away!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Are you watching what you eat....measuring your foods? and drinking lots of water?

Did you measure yourself when you started? If your using weights...you would be gaining muscule, and holding water.

It will work as long as you watch what you eat also.....Don't give up, just give it time.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You should probably open up your food diary for people to see...sometimes a little tweak here and there helps... Make sure you are not eating all the the carbs they give you as they tend to be toomuch. eat more protein....and keep up the good work!!!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Sometimes the best way to measure results in with a tape measure and not the scale. You don't say what you are doing, but if you are doing exercises the promote gaining muscle, then you are probably gaining muscle and losing fat. Your net weight change is negligible, but you are SEEING the difference.

If you haven't taken measurements, do so. Use the tape measure to gauge success.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    90% diet
  • pocatree83
    Options
    When I actually started working out I did not take measurements. That was probably my biggest mistake. My general work out is cardio. Jumping jacks, sit ups, and one mile of quick walking. I hear everyone saying to drink more water, which I absolutely hate drinking. I usually drink teas, isn't take okay as an alternative? My goal is to get into my usual pant size.
  • sallyjmad
    sallyjmad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would do a quick measure of yourself then continue the exercise your doing and really keeping track of your food intake and calories. You could be building muscle. When I first started I really upped my cardio and strength training and noticed the scale wouldn't budge for almost a month. But after I had measured myself I had lost an overall of 4 or 5". Then I got over the hump and quickly lost the 7.5 pounds I was aiming for.
  • pocatree83
    Options
    Okay so there is hope for me lol. Thanks for all the feed back everyone I really appreciate it. :happy:
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    aw just have patience. i know its easier said than done, but i bet the scale will start moving soon. just take one day at a time :)
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I actually started working out I did not take measurements. That was probably my biggest mistake. My general work out is cardio. Jumping jacks, sit ups, and one mile of quick walking. I hear everyone saying to drink more water, which I absolutely hate drinking. I usually drink teas, isn't take okay as an alternative? My goal is to get into my usual pant size.
    Teas are dehydrating so they are not a replacement for water. You need to drink your water to flush out toxins and hydrate your system. Try water with a squeeze of fresh lemon instead of tea.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    :cry: I've been working out for about six weeks now. My physical appearance has changed a little, but the scale has not gone down. What's up with that?
    Why are you tying your success to the scale?

You even mentioned yourself that your physical appearance has changed.
  • Logott
    Logott Posts: 4
    Options
    just stay true to your path, and do not listen to anorexics---they have their own issues
  • pocatree83
    Options
    Okay teas are no bueno. So...I'm guessing coffee is worse? Dang!!! Well this is the beginning of my change in life style. So changes need to be made. I didn't know tea would be one of the changes
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Tea and coffee are ok - unless you are adding lots of calories with milk and sugar.
    They will still hydrate you as does soup and other liquid type foods.

Having said that, I still think that drinking water is a good habit to get into, it's much easier to pick up a bottle of water when you're out and about than to stop and have a cup of tea.

And if by "tea" you mean something cold that's sold in a bottle, then that's just soft drink like sports drinks and soda and juice, don't kid yourself that it is more healthy. But, it will still hydrate you if you have the room for the calories or the additives in your diet.
  • pocatree83
    Options
    I watch the scale because I'm considered over weight. I'm about 20 pounds over my maximum weight based on my height.
  • pocatree83
    Options

And if by "tea" you mean something cold that's sold in a bottle, then that's just soft drink like sports drinks and soda and juice, don't kid yourself that it is more healthy. But, it will still hydrate you if you have the room for the calories or the additives in your diet.
    No, I drink brewed tea with splenda. Now coffee on the other hand I do use creamer
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea are fine. They will hydrate your body. Check out the latest research. All things in moderation. Sustainable lifestyle change.

You will succeed if you keep two things in mind 1) You can do it and 2) It will take time.

There are no shortcuts. Track your measurements. Check your BF% every once in awhile.
  • pocatree83
    Options
    You will succeed if you keep two things in mind 1) You can do it and 2) It will take time.
    Thanks for the motivation.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and watch portion size. I love mine.