Portobello Recipes?

Options
daisytripp
daisytripp Posts: 527 Member
We love to eat portobellos - they are that awesome food that enables me to stay under my calorie count but are rich and delicious enough that my guy doesn't mind eating low-cal. BUT, I am in a rut cooking them - I have one good recipe that I bake them in and we grill them in all different marinades, but does anyone have a great portobello recipe that they can share with me? Thanks!

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I like to make stuffed mushrooms, I take out the stalk if there is one, then make a filling that usually involves the stalk, wholemal breadcrumbs, tomatoes, and a small amount of cheese and some sort of meat like chorizo or ham. Blitz the mixture, add any seasoning/herbs yu desire, smoosh it onto the mushy, and whack in the oven for 10-15 minutes. I either do these as an appetiser, or serve on cous cous. Damn I need some cooked mushys now!
  • daisytripp
    daisytripp Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I stuff mine as well: one serving of cheese, grated zucchini (and carrot works too, but it is harder to grate, IMO, so I usually omit it), button mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and scallions.

I remove the stalk and the gills (obviously, you can leave the gills is you prefer, but I like removing them, and it makes me cup a bit bigger for stuffing). I stir up all my other ingredients in a bowl, then I split it between 2 big portobellos or 3 smaller ones. Then bake until the filling is cooked and the cheese is melted. So yummy!
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    Spinach and Tortellini

Recipe courtesy Good Housekeeping Drop 5 lbs

Ingredients

Salt
    4 cups fresh cheese tortellini (10 to 12 ounces)
    Cooking spray
    3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
    2 cups thawed frozen peas
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    4 large portobello mushrooms, sliced

8 cups spinach
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    Freshly ground black pepper
    8 cups mixed greens tossed with 10 to 15 pumps spray dressing

Directions
    Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water well with salt. Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions.

Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, peas, garlic and mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add in the spinach and saute until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and toss in the pasta. Top with the Parmesan and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide among 4 plates. Serve each plate with 2 cups of the mixed greens.

Each serving: 460 total calories, with salad

i made this weekend - very good
  • badmediakarma
    Options
    You can make a "pizza" with it, my coworker following the Atkins diet gave me this recipe. I like it!

Ingredients

1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed
    1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tablespoon sliced black olives
    4 slices pepperoni sausage
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    Place the mushroom on a baking sheet, and bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and spread spaghetti sauce in the cup of the cap. Top with cheese, olives, pepperoni and garlic.
    Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
  • rondano1
    rondano1 Posts: 1
    Options
    This sounds fabulous!! going out to get my ingredients now!! Thanks
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    salmon stuffed portobellos! the recipe calls for baby ones, and that its an appitizer, but i used bigger ones and made it a main dish meals.
    http://www.dole.com/EatRightLanding/EatRightRecipe/RecipeDetail/tabid/596/Default.aspx?contentid=12981
  • ievent2
    ievent2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I got to tinkering around in the kitchen and came up with a Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushroom.... my favorite!

4 Portobello Mushroom caps
    2 Jumbo Eggs
    1/2 C Bread Crumbs
    2 Large Bags Fresh Spinach
    1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    6 Ounces Shredded Low-Fat Cheddar Cheese
    Seasoning

Combine 2 large bags of spinach into food processor, pulse until ground.
    Add Olive Oil, Eggs, Bread Crumbs, Cheese, and Seasoning into food processor and pulse until well combined.
    Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
    Rinse portobello mushrooms and remove stems.
    Place mushrooms on baking sheet, bottom side up.
    Spoon spinach mixture onto mushrooms.
    Place in preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
    Turn oven up to 400°F for another 15 minutes.
    Top with some shredded cheese and broil until golden brown.

Serves 4.
    Calories per serving: 334
    Carbs: 85grams
    Fat: 19grams
    Protein: 21grams
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't cook with them too often but my favourite way to eat them is as a burger. I grill one and put it on a bun with a little mozzarella cheese and any other burger toppings I feel like having. Low cal and delicious!
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can make a "pizza" with it, my coworker following the Atkins diet gave me this recipe. I like it!

Ingredients

1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed
    1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tablespoon sliced black olives
    4 slices pepperoni sausage
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    Place the mushroom on a baking sheet, and bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and spread spaghetti sauce in the cup of the cap. Top with cheese, olives, pepperoni and garlic.
    Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.

Wow - that sounds good - i'm going to tray make the portabello pzza next time. : )
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but someone mentioned that they make little mini pizza's with portabellos. No crust, add the pizza toppings to the mushrooms. Sounds good to me!
  • melissabatmcnet
    melissabatmcnet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That sounds great!! Going to try the pizza Portobello. Thanks!!
  • foxylch
    foxylch Posts: 1
    Options
    I may try this is was it really good or was it something you had to get use to
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I made Hungry Girl Pizza-bellas yesterday and they were very good. Another good one by Hungry Girl is the Pizza-fied chicken, both of these are very easy.

When I googled the Hungry Girl Pizza-fied chicken it also brought up the Pizza-bellas recipe. It also gives you the nutrition facts.
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe here for a portobello panini sandwich! Instead of using bread you use the portobello's as the bread & stuff with goat cheese, garlic, grilled red peppers, grn onions, fresh thyme & drizzle red wine vinegar on the inside before cooking it in your panini press! If you dont have a panini press you could do it in a pan like a grilled cheese or a healthier way would be in the oven...mmmm mushrooms!~ :)
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I grill mine on the bbq then put a little bit of jalapeno cheese topped with franks red hot!!! love them!
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Portobello Mushroom Tuna Melt
    4 Portobello mushrooms, stemmed, gills removed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 5 ounce can albacore tuna packed in water, drained
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Salt and pepper
    4 Deli-thin slices Swiss cheese
    4 slices tomatoes
    1/2 cup mixed baby greens

Directions
    Portobello Mushroom Tuna Melt
    1.Preheat the broiler. Brush the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and broil, turning once, until softened and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
    2.While the mushrooms are cooking, in a bowl, combine tuna, celery, parsley, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and remaining tablespoon oil.
    3.Remove the mushrooms from the oven. Divide tuna mixture among mushrooms, and spread evenly in caps. Top each with a slice of cheese, and broil until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Top each mushroom with a tomato slice and 2 tablespoons greens, and serve immediately.
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Idea 1: Mushroom Risotto using Portobellos.

Idea 2: Mushroom Pasta