Calories

Options
I've been losing weight pretty consistently but I think I've hit a plateau. I just started to use this website to count my calories and it's telling me that I'm consuming well under the amount of calories that I should be eating. Could this be the reason for the plateau? Also whenever I work out they add extra calories for me to consume. Since I'm trying to lose weight do I eat the extra calories?

Thanks!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight pretty consistently but I think I've hit a plateau. I just started to use this website to count my calories and it's telling me that I'm consuming well under the amount of calories that I should be eating. Could this be the reason for the plateau? Also whenever I work out they add extra calories for me to consume. Since I'm trying to lose weight do I eat the extra calories?

Thanks!
    How many calories are you consuming?
  • reden324
    reden324 Posts: 33
    Options
    Around 800-1000 calories a day
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Eat more. That's your problem.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You should probably be eating at least SOME of your exercise calories. Don't force yourself too much to be perfect, but certainly focus on getting adequate protein and veggies in. you should be eating closer to 1200 calories if you are trying to be healthy and not hit any plateaus. Upping your cals results in a small gain at first usually, then once your body adjusts it's metabolism, you should drop the gained amount, as well as continue to lose weight. :)
  • eccels
    eccels Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi there, This program is telling you that you need to consume x amount of calories a day, that is to stay healthy and to lose weight. If you exercise and don't add those calories your body will go into starvation mode. So, yup, you must add the extra calories. A big mistake that people make whe trying to lose weight is that they eat too few calories and that slows down your metabolism and puts your body into starvation mode which means that it holds on to everything that it gets.

So, bottom line is, you must try and get int the calories that MFP has said you should every day. Including the extra calories for the exercise you do. Try it for at least 2 weeks and let us know how you do!

Good luck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your minimum calories should be 1200 before exercise (eat your exercise calories). The 1200 is a minimum - you may well need to be higher based on your metabolism and your height. How tall are you? How active are you in a normal day (without exercise)?
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options

You aren't eating enough. Eat at your BMR and you will lose, be healthier and have more energy. You are doing damage to your body by eating the amount you are.

You can choose to eat some or all of your exercise calories. As long as you net 1200 or above. It is good to eat a few of your exercise calories because you are working on a deficit already so if you create a bigger deficit by exercising you may not be getting what you need.
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's the opposite for me...I have to eat less than 1200 calories or else I don't lose any weight...but I try not to eat less than a 1000.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You should probably be eating at least SOME of your exercise calories. Don't force yourself too much to be perfect, but certainly focus on getting adequate protein and veggies in. you should be eating closer to 1200 calories if you are trying to be healthy and not hit any plateaus. Upping your cals results in a small gain at first usually, then once your body adjusts it's metabolism, you should drop the gained amount, as well as continue to lose weight. :)
    Actually no.

She should be upping her calories to around her current weight x 14. That will put her around her maintenance. After two weeks, she can go into a deficit the right way. Start off at -10% and go from there. Her metabolism has not stopped but it has clearly slowed down.

To the OP, I would do this:
    1. BW x 14 is your ESTIMATED maintenance.
    2. Increase calories by 10-20% every few days till you hit that calorie goal.
    3. Stay there for two weeks. Once your metabolism "resets" you're primed to go back into a deficit.

Never, consume 1200 calories again.

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/metabolic-slowdown-part-i/
    http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/metabolic-slowdown-part-ii-2/
  • AntWrig
    Options
    It's the opposite for me...I have to eat less than 1200 calories or else I don't lose any weight...but I try not to eat less than a 1000.
    Read my comment.
  • carlachristinewhite
    carlachristinewhite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    IF you workout more, eat more than 800, depending on the frequency of your workouts. use the settings of your profile for you to find out how much you can consume for the day assuming you do X amount of workout a week. When I eat with a 1000 cals deficit of the normal total calories a day, I start losing weight. Take into account the type of foods you eat as well. When I started eating right, I saw drastic changes. Good luck!
  • reden324
    reden324 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone! I'm definitely going to work on trying to hit my calorie goal so I can get out of this plateau and back to losing weight :)
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Actually no.

She should be upping her calories to around her current weight x 14. That will put her around her maintenance. After two weeks, she can go into a deficit the right way. Start off at -10% and go from there. Her metabolism has not stopped but it has clearly slowed down.

To the OP, I would do this:
    1. BW x 14 is your ESTIMATED maintenance.
    2. Increase calories by 10-20% every few days till you hit that calorie goal.
    3. Stay there for two weeks. Once your metabolism "resets" you're primed to go back into a deficit.

Never, consume 1200 calories again.

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/metabolic-slowdown-part-i/
    http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/metabolic-slowdown-part-ii-2/

I'm seriously considering doing this, but I'm a little scared being on the homestretch towards beach season...

Anyone tried this and had bad results? Or anyone know of any random control trials etc.?