where does the fat go ?

Options
:huh: Hey yall , can some one please tell me how or where the fat goes when you stat losing weight other than the obvious can you sweat it out or somthing?

Replies

• jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Your body uses it as fuel, so like your car, the gas doesn't go anywhere, it just gets burned up.
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    What i've been told (so don't quote me) is that most the time your fat turns into muscle....I've wanted an answer to this same quistion for a while too. I really think that some health website should have a diagram thing of what's happening to you body as you're losing FAT! They have all sorts of different onces, but i've yet to see the fat one :ohwell:
  • girlfriend
    girlfriend Posts: 12
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanx
  • Willpower90x
    Willpower90x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jennifer is right. It basically gets burnt off as fuel. Fat never ever turns into muscle.
  • LB12
    LB12 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was wondering about that too....where DOES it really go?:tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It's used up by your energy systems. Fat is broken into its constituent parts--fatty acids and glycerols--which are used in the Krebs Cycle and Glycolysis, respectively. Those cycles produce ATP for energy, and the waste--H2O--exits the body. It's not a crazy question at all, I mean, the stuff has to go somewhere hehe

the way it was explained to me was that the fat cells just shrink they don't actually go away. You just have to get them to go back down :)

Fat cells do indeed stick with you forever. But each cell isn't just one triglyceride...the cells are filled with them, so as you use the triglycerides, the cells do shrink. Think of the cell as a bag....you can't throw the bag out, but you can empty it. Unfortunately, you can get new 'bags' if you have enough triglycerides to fill them!

This was copied from an old post on this subject. Songbirdsweet gave the great answers -
    Edited by MTGirl on Thu 06/18/09 12:21 PM
  • girlfriend
    girlfriend Posts: 12
    Options
    kewll!!! smart answer Thanx:happy:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's used up by your energy systems. Fat is broken into its constituent parts--fatty acids and glycerols--which are used in the Krebs Cycle and Glycolysis, respectively. Those cycles produce ATP for energy, and the waste--H2O--exits the body. It's not a crazy question at all, I mean, the stuff has to go somewhere hehe

the way it was explained to me was that the fat cells just shrink they don't actually go away. You just have to get them to go back down :)

Fat cells do indeed stick with you forever. But each cell isn't just one triglyceride...the cells are filled with them, so as you use the triglycerides, the cells do shrink. Think of the cell as a bag....you can't throw the bag out, but you can empty it. Unfortunately, you can get new 'bags' if you have enough triglycerides to fill them!

This was copied from an old post on this subject. Songbirdsweet gave the great answers -
    Edited by MTGirl on Thu 06/18/09 12:21 PM

LOL much better than my answer...
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    Yes, that is true...the cells shrink but don't go away. you can't burn them out of your body (darn) or turn them to muscle (darn again...how great would that be)

Cindy
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    kewll!!! smart answer Thanx:happy:

I saved that one from songbyrdsweet. she is a lovely young lady who is going to school for this very thing. She was studying this at the same time someone asks............not only that but this girl just GETS it! she is so smart.........can you tell I adore her:blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh and BTW I picture a HUGE baggie in my tummy which refuses to go away:grumble:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • eurestemari
    Options
    :laugh: !!!who cares where it goes just as long as it's not on my body anymore!!!.:tongue:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    :laugh: !!!who cares where it goes just as long as it's not on my body anymore!!!.:tongue:

AGREED!!!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    that reminds me. when one of my friends would say they lost 10 pounds.......I would say it wasnt lost, I am holding it for you! we would pass those 10 around the group for years.

I wonder if they are mad I no longer take me turn?:wink: