Lactose Intolerant Peeps out there?

Options
I have had major gastroentestinal issues for several years. I have also known that I am Lactose Intolerant for about 10 years. I went to my doctor yesterday and she said a lot of my problems aren't due to LI but an allergy to milk protein and my body's inability to break it down. This causes the opposite effect of LI and I wanted to know if anyone else out has the same issues. I am trying to give up all dairy products for the next couple of weeks to see if this really is the problem. OMG, I am gonna lose ma mind! No cottage cheese or cheese, for that matter!

Replies

• Butterfly3730
    Options
    Yep, I'm one of those people. It got progressively worse through the years. I can still do small (very small) amounts of cheese and frozen yogurt but everything else is not good and I have a severe reaction. I use to try and push it but the discomfort is really not worth it so I just let it go. The hardest one was ice-cream! You will get use to it. It really did get easier as time went by! :flowerforyou:
  • ashalada
    ashalada Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What were your symptoms? im trying to suss out if thats my poblem!
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i only became lactose intolerant within the past 3 years..... i had a protein shake the other night and paid for it dearly even though i took double the dosage of lactaid to try to counteract any potential reactions before they started..... well i was up all night violently throwing up, just to name one unpleasant side effect. i'm fine with any sort of processed milk product like cheese, milk chocolate, yogurt, butter, etc...... but i cannot do regular milk or ice cream whatsoever. no dairy-based protein shakes or mixes either. i'm gonna look into asking my doctor about anything stronger or over the counter that i can try instead of the lactaid. i'm good with the lactose free milk but the ice cream is difficult to give up.