Major sucess with higher calories!

Replies

• kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Thats just to my first goal. I want to lose a total of 30 lbs but I break it up like that for more motivation. I would like to lose 0.5-1lb a week with my upped calories just don't want to gain :)

Some wiser folks than me here on MFP who I trust often say that those who want to lost anywhere from 25-50# should aim for a 1#/week loss. So it still sounds like you're in the right ballpark to me. Best wishes!

Thank you!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Thank u for posting this!
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    been reading a lot offposts about this over last few days ,great info.Thank you
  • smiley61
    smiley61 Posts: 24
    some times I net 786 that is starvation. my weekly average last week was 1464. I am not losing weight and have been doing this for 25 days. I am guessing I need to up my calories. I was told to eat my maintenance cal which is 2009 and net 1509 with exercise -500. That is a lot of food for me. Not used to eating that much is going to be hard.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    some times I net 786 that is starvation. my weekly average last week was 1464. I am not losing weight and have been doing this for 25 days. I am guessing I need to up my calories. I was told to eat my maintenance cal which is 2009 and net 1509 with exercise -500. That is a lot of food for me. Not used to eating that much is going to be hard.

Just start adding a lit bit at a time Smiley. Maybe some nuts, cheese, mayo olive oil added to what you normally eat.
  • Great info. Thanks to all for sharing. I have been learning to eat more and basically re-feeding my body for the past several weeks. I kept telling my trainer this was a lot of food. I eat lots of very low cal stuff so I felt like I was eating all the time. I was sooo not used to that. After 2 months at a standstill it is finally coming off again. Slow and steady. Just the way I like it.
  • mocha1975
    mocha1975 Posts: 44
    Bump!!!
  • This is super rad!! I've recently just upped my daily intake from 1200cal/day (sometimes even lower) to AT LEAST 1500cal/day. Hoping to see success as well. :)
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 103 Member
    bump
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Bump
  • Weegi
    Weegi Posts: 2 Member
    Who or waht is "hellitsdan?" Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling!

You can check out his profile - he gives the instructions in a post buried in these pages too.
    He among others advocates not NETting under your BMR, and has quick and dirty method to keep it safe.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/helloitsdan
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling!

You can check out his profile - he gives the instructions in a post buried in these pages too.
    He among others advocates not NETting under your BMR, and has quick and dirty method to keep it safe.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/helloitsdan

My ears are burning!
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    thank you for this! I'm trying to educate myself here but still a little confused, so bear with me...

tried the recommended calculations and it gives me:
    BMR = 1464 (Harris-Benedict)
    TDEE = 1756 (sedentary-light)

to lose weight, 1756 (TDEE) - 500 (1lbs/week) = 1256

should I net 1256 or my BMR? (I'm currently set at that proverbial 1200 and upped a whopping 50 cals this week!)

So in my case, is this right?

I should note, I'm a petite 5'2". I've been losing at a steady & SLOW 1 lbs-ish per week since joining MFP. I eat back most of my exercise cals. Before joining, I ate anywhere between my BMR and TDEE and maintained, which makes sense. So I'm doing the deficit and concentrating on a workout regimen. I make sure to get my protein. Haven't hit a plateau yet but I was gonna try lifting heavy and upping my cals to fuel my muscles when I do. Am I doing this right??? I'm just afraid that I'm being inefficient about it?

This sounds too low.
    Are you not working out?
    The BMR and TDEE are too close if you are working out.
    Recalculate numbers and use what Fat to Fit recommends for your activity level.
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    love love love this post!!!!!!!!!!
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    thank you for this! I'm trying to educate myself here but still a little confused, so bear with me...

tried the recommended calculations and it gives me:
    BMR = 1464 (Harris-Benedict)
    TDEE = 1756 (sedentary-light)

to lose weight, 1756 (TDEE) - 500 (1lbs/week) = 1256

should I net 1256 or my BMR? (I'm currently set at that proverbial 1200 and upped a whopping 50 cals this week!)

So in my case, is this right?

I should note, I'm a petite 5'2". I've been losing at a steady & SLOW 1 lbs-ish per week since joining MFP. I eat back most of my exercise cals. Before joining, I ate anywhere between my BMR and TDEE and maintained, which makes sense. So I'm doing the deficit and concentrating on a workout regimen. I make sure to get my protein. Haven't hit a plateau yet but I was gonna try lifting heavy and upping my cals to fuel my muscles when I do. Am I doing this right??? I'm just afraid that I'm being inefficient about it?

This sounds too low.
    Are you not working out?
    The BMR and TDEE are too close if you are working out.
    Recalculate numbers and use what Fat to Fit recommends for your activity level.

So the number that Fat to Fit gives for calories...is that what you should NET?

For me it is saying:
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1562
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1790
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2018
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2246
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2474

I work a desk job, but exercise everyday with a burn usually around 250-300 (per HRM). So I am not really sure what I should choose for my activity level.
    I am 5'3" and 148, and would love to get to 125.
    I know this should be simple, but I seem to have a hard time wrapping my head around it. :embarassed:
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Bump
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    This thread is intriguing me...I've been on 1200 calories since November, and I feel that now I should be eating more as I only have 14 more lbs to lose.

I'm 5'6'', 19, female, started at 170 lbs, (have lost 36 lbs), currently at 134 lbs, and want to get down to 120 lbs. In the past month or so, I've only been losing 0.5 lb a week despite always being at or under my calorie goal, and doing cardio for 30-45 mins, 4-5 times a week...I'm just terrified of eating more. I'm scared of gaining to be honest.
  • douna71
    douna71 Posts: 4
    I would most certainly be careful to not eat the toasts or crackers after supper...carbs are for energy and we don't need energy to sleep :)