New with 100+ to lose

Options
Hi everyone! I have been hanging around here since Friday, logging my food, finding my way around... I am 36, from Iowa in the US. I am 5'9" - and just got the shock of my life... I hit 302 pounds at the doctor's office on Friday. Whoa Nelly. I have struggled with my weight since having my two kids. I have lost weight successfully using weight watchers, but am tired of the whole "point" thing. I want to be able to read the food labels and know what I am looking at, rather than having to dig out a calculator.

I am following the MFP guidelines for now. I will adjust them later if need be. I am concentrating on high protein since I tend to feel the best on more protein. I will being ONLY WEIGHING IN ONCE A MONTH. I know, that sounds crazy. But I have this weird obsession with the scale, and would let it dictate my moods daily or weekly. I will be monitoring with before/after pictures, and measurements. Then weighing in once a month at the doctor's office. I figure that if I am eating correctly, exercising, feeling better physically and emotionally - the number on the scale doesn't matter so much. For now.

I need FRIENDS! I am looking for upbeat people. Maybe someone to toss the whip now and then to get me out of this chair for some exercise! People to throw out the occasional challenge - like a small water/exercise/food related thing... I love this site so far, I am looking for some social interaction too!

Replies

• Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) You have crazy self control! I have to weigh myself once a week. If I didn't I probably wouldn't have the self motivation to keep going. I'm always looking for new people to motivate and 'chat' with about weight loss and dieting. I have 50 pounds more to loose and I'm from Illinois! Great up just miles from Iowa. If that sounds interesting to you feel free to add me :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll love MFP. I know how it feels to need to lose over 100 pounds. It seems so overwhelming in the beginning. Just hang in there, log in to MFP daily and be honest with your food and exercise and before you know it, the pounds just start melting off. You're more than welcome to add me.
  • Ballard12
    Ballard12 Posts: 109
    Options
    Welcome, u can add me as a friend, I too started with over 100+ lbs to lose, u can do it, this site is a blessing.
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You can add me if you like,
    We have the same staring weight and the same goals,
  • zumbaabby
    zumbaabby Posts: 59
    Options
    hi there! you can add me if you like! I've lost just over 100 pounds to date, before i started using mfp...struggling with the last 25! you can do it :)!
  • misslissa121
    Options
    You can add me, I'm a SAHM/PTA Mom of 5 kids. I am almost halfway to my first goal. The scale is just one tool. Feeling younger, being able to do more, having your pants near falling off, those are the tools of success. This is a wonderful site. I have just logged my 50th day, I really don't think I would of been as successful without it, probably would of quit by now. We all have rough days, just got to keep at it, fall off, dust yourself off and vow to do better the next day. Good Luck.

16025132.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • hkvame136
    Options
    I started two weeks ago after a shocking weigh in at the doctors office. Besides the weight, I found out I am pre-diabetic, so I am testing my blood sugar twice a day. I need to weigh in regularly, but I am terrified of the scale. It's going to be a long slog, but I'm lucky to have found MFP. I doubt I'd track my calories so well without it. I really like that it tells me how many calories I have left. If I focus on that, rather than the foods that shouldn't have made it into the log (b/c they shouldn't have made it into my mouth), I stay on the program better.

How do I add that weight lost icon?
    Hannah
  • denker1220
    denker1220 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am from Nebraska.. I have 140 pounds to lose. Motivation is a real big factor in my life as I have a 3-year-old and a terminally ill boyfriend that I take care of, so things are hard but I just have to try to motivate myself to keep going... You can add me, would love to chat and talk about weight loss to keep each other motivated.:smile:
  • Gerikaye
    Gerikaye Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there!!! And Welcome!! I am so glad you found MFP, for me it has been the best tool. I have just hit over 2 months of losing and just passed my first goal of 25 lbs. I am 5'8" and finally hit 270 and said, enough is enough. So I set my goal at 120 to lose and now have less than 100 lbs.........woo hoo!!! This site is so very helpful, I have found that after only 2 mos. I know the calories count of most foods without even having to enter them. If I am having a busy day I can just come in and enter a calorie count for my meal. I still like to list everything I eat, even my cadbury chocolate eggs, I bought last week (they are and have been my fav since I was a kid I'm 38 now) so I can go back and see what I ate if I had a particularly bad or good week. I know what consistently I am putting in my body, and believe it or not even with eating a couple of treats last week I still managed to lose 3.6 lbs! I just knew I had to up my exercise output and it worked for me. Remember, part of this journey is finding what works for you and making it a part of your lifestyle, and everyone has a different journey. What works for one, may not work for you, or it may have twice the benefit for you! Good luck and I hope you will add me as a friend so we can encourage each other. I love having someone to challenge me and I am always up for a little competition. Two months ago I could barely walk at a 3.5 on the treadmill, yesterday I was jogging at a 4.5 for 15 minutes and then did 3 - 30 second sprints at 7.0 with 45 sec recovery at a 4.0. It feels great and I can't wait until you feel that great as well. Again welcome and I look forward to having someone who is on a similar journey as "my buddy" on MFP!
  • lsagehorn72
    Options
    Well, I am not as tall as you, 5'4", but I have just as much to loose as you do. My son is my motivator. He is 6 and a big ball of energy. I have a high stress job that makes for a very tried person at the end of the day. I have been keeping track of what I have been eating here, pretty consistently. It really opens the eyes. Knowing what I am putting in my body and making myself accountable for it really keeps me going. I have lost 5 pounds do far (woo hoo)

I would love to add you as a friend.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) Please feel free to add me if you like! I'm pretty active on the site and I'm more than happy to try and keep you motivated! Hope you enjoy the whole MFP experience as much as I have been... It's become my new Facebook! ... And a much healthier one at that!! :happy:
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    Hi, Skatters and everyone!

Welcome to MFP!!!! I have to say that I absolutely love and appreciate this site. I have tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, and others, but with the supportive people here, I have found my ability to maintain an incredible dedication to losing weight. Please feel free to add me for continuous support and motivation. I am a dedicated MFP'er.....LOL
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    Good mmorning...I am Kathy and still have 100 to go. It is tuff and you have to really want it. If youdo you will be veryy sucessful here with all th great support and people. I wish you the very best on your journey!
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I also have 100+lbs to lose also 5'9 and will also be weighing myself ONCE a month because I too am obsessed with the scale!
    I make it my business to log on everyday so please feel free to add me...Anyone!! :D
  • Hi! I have 116lbs to lose and I am also 5'9 this site is my new addiction! I have been here just over 2 weeks and have lost 10lbs, Good luck.
  • lbentz84
    lbentz84 Posts: 4
    Options
    hey My name is Lydia I live in omaha i started mfp the beginning of February i started exercising mid February. With mfp and working out i am working on my first goal of 50 lbs. you can add me if like. Lydia
  • Jking826
    Jking826 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! This site is amazing. I just rejoined and started getting friends. They are so supportive you feel obligated to doing right for people you dont even know LOL...Good Luck!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You (or anyone) can add me. I would love to have more people to motivate me and in turn I will help motivate and support you. We have similar weight loss goals so I know I will be here for a while.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined in Oct and have 150lbs to lose but I'm nearly half way there.
    I am a daily logger and 100% committed so Friend me if you like...
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey there, It is soooo daunting, I have 100lbs to lose and worked out it is going to take 2years!!

:smile: