Low carb diet

Options
Anyone starting a low carb diet out there? I have started this week with protein shakes in the morning, chicken and salad for lunch. I am a bit stuck on what to have for dinners as potatoes/rice/pasta usually fill in the gaps with meat or fish and vegetables. Anyone got any suggestions as to what to substitute these refined carbs with??

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    its good to increase fats, maybe half avocado with chicken and veges? p;eanut butter on rice cakes? omelette and veges.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Beans, quinoa, kale.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Beans, quinoa, kale.
    I dont know if you are aware but, beans and quinoa are not low carb foods....
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    You're not having very many carbs in the day so perhaps use your allowance (however small) with your evening meal to bulk it out? Replace white pasta and rice with wholegrain and you'll be replacing simple carbs with complex, good carbs as well.

Remember - not all carbs are bad! Even the Atkin's diet lets you have 20g carbs each day so if I were you I'd save them up for your evening meal and make sure they were complex carbs to reap the added benefits.

Good luck xx
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Anyone starting a low carb diet out there? I have started this week with protein shakes in the morning, chicken and salad for lunch. I am a bit stuck on what to have for dinners as potatoes/rice/pasta usually fill in the gaps with meat or fish and vegetables. Anyone got any suggestions as to what to substitute these refined carbs with??

Have you thought about venturing into perhaps using omelets? I love a good omelet for dinner from time to time. Slice up some steak-strips thinly, sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, 1oz of cheese spreads pretty far (and reasonable on calories), fill the omelet up, dice up some homemade pico-de-gallo for a garnish on top...

I use spaghetti squash/zucchini/summer squash in place of pasta - three together make a beautiful dish. I love a good Chicken-Shrimp Marengo on top of those threads...

If I want lasagna, Ill use roasted eggplant for the pasta-replacement in conjunction with zucchini ribbons. Works wonderfully and its quite filling too!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You're not having very many carbs in the day so perhaps use your allowance (however small) with your evening meal to bulk it out? Replace white pasta and rice with wholegrain and you'll be replacing simple carbs with complex, good carbs as well.

Remember - not all carbs are bad! Even the Atkin's diet lets you have 20g carbs each day so if I were you I'd save them up for your evening meal and make sure they were complex carbs to reap the added benefits.

Good luck xx

20g carb doesn't really go that far - 100g of cooked basmati rice is about 19 g carbs.

Use cauliflower to make cauliflower rice. Sautée zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, green beans - all low carb veg.
    The omelette suggestion is really good.
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    I aim for 60P, 30C and 10F in my daily intake. Protein sources are mainly supplements like Dymatize ISO100/ ON Gold Standard whey along with skinless chicken breast, tuna, egg whites and beans. For flavors, I add an assortment from chopped onions, garlic, ginger, fresh tomato, ground pepper, salt, habanero sauce, balsamic vinaigrette and extra virgin olive oil.

I marinate a week worth of chicken/tuna in Indian spice mixed with ginger garlic paste and a little e.v.olive oil and freeze them. Everyday, I just take one, defreeze in microwave and pan grill when needed. Hardly takes 15min max. Egg whites are often made into omelette. Beans are drained and rinsed before sauteing with harbenero sauce.

Freshly cut mix veg salad with balsamic vinaigrette or broccoli (stir fried under a minute in ginger garlic paste) work as sides!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Define "low carb"!

For me, I try to keep under 100g per day. One of my recent discoveries is sauce -over-salad (even my non-dieting fussy eater husband loves this!)

This weekend I tried Thai style sauces - garlic and ginger sauteed in a little oil in a wok, add chicken or prawns, chopped chillis, some coconut cream, fish sauce, basil leaves and crushed peanuts.

Serve poured over a big bowl of salad leaves.
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    This weekend I tried Thai style sauces - garlic and ginger sauteed in a little oil in a wok, add chicken or prawns, chopped chillis, some coconut cream, fish sauce, basil leaves and crushed peanuts.

Serve poured over a big bowl of salad leaves.

Isn't that beautiful? I do similar stuff all the time. Although I do it mostly with olive oil, I noticed that peanut oil tastes better!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I posted on another topic - but if you are looking for low carb meal ideas - google Paleo/Primal since by nature most are going to be low carb...

I usually saty under 80 Grams of carbs a day...

Here are some of my favorite recipie sites

Good Paleo Websites for food

http://everydaypaleo.com/
    http://www.health-bent.com/
    http://nomnompaleo.com/
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you check out some of the Low Carb cook books out there and see what appeals to you.

Last night I made a Low Carb Chicken Pot pie and it was very tastey. What I did was make LC biscuits, sauteed some veges, cooked diced chicken, spices, and a homemade LC gravy/sauce. It was very tastey!!!

Good luck!!
    Anita
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Great advice everyone thank you!!!
  • swampiesue
    swampiesue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I have spaghetti sauce ( home made) or meatballs, I put in a small flat dish and add a spoon of Greek Yoghurt and some cheese. and have with a salad.Or Marinated Chicken Breast with a wholesome salad.