Venison, Bison, Catfish, salmon, cod...need recipes!

Options
RachelsReboot
RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
Ok so I was blessed today with an entire freezer full of venison(ground, steaks, roasts, etc.), bison (ground and steaks), fresh filleted catfish, salmon, cod, free range chicken, beef roasts and some steaks, homemade sausage and smoked ribs, brisket and bacon. All courtesy of my dad and I don't know how to cook most of it LOL. Recipes welcome! All of it is meat my dad either raised or hunted himself. I won't have to buy meat for months to come if I can figure out what to do with it. I am pretty good on the grill but have only experience with beef, pork, chicken. I have a couple of salmon recipes, but don't know what to do with the others.

PS. I am low carb so nothing breaded or anything like that.

Replies

• interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My salmon is super easy I love it. Marinade salmon in Kikoman Teriyaki Marinade/Sauce for a few hours and bake in the over at 350 till the flesh flakes. So good.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    My salmon is super easy I love it. Marinade salmon in Kikoman Teriyaki Marinade/Sauce for a few hours and bake in the over at 350 till the flesh flakes. So good.

Thanks I will try that one!
  • eblake111
    eblake111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have two great ideas for you!

I love to put a little extra virgin olive oil on fresh fish (any kind) and use different flavored MRS DASH grilling blends seasoning and bake.
    Another great GREAT recipe is any fish again....add light miracle whip on the top (very very light coat) and sprinkle OLD BAY Low sodium Seasoning on it....again bake. This one is my absolute FAV :) YUMMY!

Both recipes are baked at 350 for about 20 minutes...when they are done garnish with fresh lemon and Enjoy!!
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Thanks, will give that a try too!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    DH is a hunter, so I get what you're saying. My favorite thing to do with venison is cut it in strips like teriyaki and put Myron's 20 Gauge (marinade) on it. It's SO yummy. The traditional way his mom always cooked the tenderloins, etc was to quickly pan fry them, then add onion, mushrooms and a can of cream of mushroom soup. It's yummy but not necessarily calorie friendly unless you use a non-stick pan and Healthy Request soup. You can marinate the steaks and grill them, or if you have access to a meat grinder grind it and use it in place of ground beef (really, you don't taste the difference at all in things like meatloaf and meatballs or tacos) If you're grinding your own, you might have to add a tiny bit of pork fat to it just to give it some fat, most venison is really trim.

I have no idea on the bison but I'd think you might be able to cook it similar to venison. Or if you have a roast pop it in a crockpot with tons of veggies, stewed tomatoes, etc.

When I think catfish I think cornmeal crusted catfish and Old Bay Seasoning.

Cod is a great fish. You can bake it or grill it in tinfoil pouches with a tiny bit of butter, lemons salt and pepper. Of course you can do that in a baking dish too. Last night I had some haddock that was almost an inch thick. I mixed mayo, crushed garlic and lemon juice and spread it on top in a baking dish and cooked it for 10 minutes at 400. Then I sprinkled bread crumbs on top and put some shrimp that I had tossed with lemon pepper seasoning and olive oil on top and returned it to the oven for 10 minutes. It was yummy. DH isn't into creamy/cheesy things and he even liked it.

have fun!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Wow aren't you lucky! A whole fereezer full of delicious protein!

My husband isn't keen on turkey, so we usually do something different at Christmas. One year we made a marvellous venison casserole with baby onions, mushrooms, and red wine - do in the slow cooker/ crockpot.

You could make a bouillabaisse soup out of a mixture of the fish.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I get the equivalent of 1 to 2 deer a year to stock my freezer. I use my ground venison in place of ground beef in my recipes. I haven't used ground beef in ages. My family prefers the venison. I either marinate my venison cubed steak and then pan fry it. Or I place it in a 9 x 13 pan, pour a can of golden mushroom soup with 1 can of water mixed in over the meat and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. I have several other recipes that I could message you. Just add me as a friend and I can message them later when I get home from work. I am doing low carb as well.
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Love new ideas!!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Salmon - Lawry's Honey Teriyaki marinade is delicious!

Catfish - lightly coat with light mayonnaise. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake on 350 until flaky - about 20-25 minutes. Broil for 2 minutes at the end of cooking time to crisp. Can also sprinkle with a little lemon juice. Great with oven-baked fries!

Venison - Soak in milk. Remove from milk, cut several 1-inch slices in top and slide a piece of fresh garlic into each slice. Wrap in bacon. Marinade in italian dressing and dale's (or worchestshire). Bake or grill. (Can also put in crockpot like a roast!)
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? Put any venison roast in bottom of crock pot, put 3-4 slices of bacon on top of meat. Put on lid (do not open the lid during cooking time) and cook on low for 5-6 hours. The venison falls apart! Enjoy:bigsmile:
  • Rikib004
    Rikib004 Posts: 51
    Options
    Damn! Your dad can visit me ANYTIME!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Damn! Your dad can visit me ANYTIME!

Me too!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    LOVE Bison! I use it instead of hambuger,(meatloaf, spag sauce etc). The steaks are VERY low fat so take extra time when cooking to allow what fat is has to break down for tenderizering. Super rich in protein. You can find recipies just by typing Bison into your search box.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? Put any venison roast in bottom of crock pot, put 3-4 slices of bacon on top of meat. Put on lid (do not open the lid during cooking time) and cook on low for 5-6 hours. The venison falls apart! Enjoy:bigsmile:

Yes I do have a crockpot, 1 big one and 3 little ones! I do a LOT of entertaining LOL. I will definitely try this one!

Thank you all for the ideas, some of this stuff I was lost on!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Our diet consists of meat we hunt, deer, elk, pronghorn, moose water fowl etc. IThe only one I treat differantly is Goose. The other I use just like beef. We have not eaten beef in years even though we raise cattle :bigsmile:
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Venison (or beef, or turkey, or...) Jerky

>>Use about 3 pounds of venison - thin slice it to about 1/8-inch or slightly thicker
    >>20 oz. Kikoman Soy Sauce (I use Kikoman since it is way less salty than others - also - big cheap bottles sold at Sam's and Wal-Mart)
    >>4 oz. Liquid Smoke - hickory or mesquite
    >>1/4 cup minced garlic
    >>Optional - Add whatever seasonings you want as well - pepper, chipotle, etc.
    and....
    >>Hot Sauce to suit - I use Dave's Insanity Sauce. You can make the marinade ridiculously hot because when you dehydrate the meat, it will tame the hot sauce a LOT. Maybe it will only be 15% as spicy.

Do not add worchestershire sauce - it is horrible to use as a marinate (IMHO).

>>Mix all marinade ingredients together. Add venison (or beef, or turkey or ...). I usually place it in a gallon freezer bag and squeeze air out during soak. Mix it up every so ften. Marinade for about 3 hours or more.

>>Drain meat - place on dehydrater trays - dehydrate. Takes about 24 hours for convection-type dehydrater and 8 hours for forced air/heat-type dehydrater.

WARNING: Use gloves when placing meat on trays. Insanity sauce is - well - umm - insane. Liquid smoke likes to make you smell smokey for a day or two also.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    i'm originally from way down south and we eat catfish all the time! some people don't like the taste because it can get a little "fishy" or strong tasting...we always soak it in a milk and egg bath...just take a couple of eggs and some milk (enough to cover the fillets), mix it up and let them soak for about 20 or 30 min and then you season and grill them, or bake or broil them and they taste delish!

happy monday!
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    You are very lucky, do you want to share your Dad with me? ha ha!
    How lovely to have free.....free range food, so healthy and much tastier.

I love mango salsa from Costco with salmon, to cook salmon I just bake in the oven for about 15 ins depending on the size of the piece, and either coat with blackening seasoning or a Mrs. dash blend before cooking.

Fried cod and chips is one of my all time favorites, but so high in fat.
    for a low fat version, i coat the cod in flour, egg white, then flour again ( add seasoning if you want to) , then cook with spray oil on a non stick skillet. Or you could coat in breadcrumbs.

I think garlic butter goes great on any fish, and for a low fat version of this I use butter buds (like a packet of butter tasting mix) and add fresh garlic.

I don't recommend any other type of garlic other than fresh, garlic salt adds too much salt, and the powder or granules don't taste the same (and they also repeat on me...I know too much information!)
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    sorry just saw the carb note, you could try cooking in the spray oil with out the coating.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love that everyone here "gets" it. People I work with think it's crazy that DH hunts and that we eat what he hunts. Hello? You want to talk about true free range? That's what we're getting when he hunts. I don't feel bad about him killing Bambi and us eating it. I feel bad when some jerk hits one on the highway and leaves it there. What a waste of a life. I taught DD when she was learning to talk a joke about what do we do with Bambi that ended with "we eat it cuz it tastes good" - only slightly twisted ;)