WHAT DO YOU DO TO KEEP YOURSELF MOTIVATED?

Options
2»

Replies

• BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I feel like eating a large amount of crap that will blow my calories for the day, I go look at my naked body in front of a full length mirror. Then i may eat the crap, but only a single portion.
    When I feel like skipping a work out I either: a) look at my naked body in the mirror for the length of the workout or b) come and read posts here for the length of the work out.

Either way I usually go work out after a few minutes.

I keep a few pictures of attractive women around, as a male, there is something about it that makes you get off your *kitten*. I rotate these pictures from time to time so they don't become background.
  • ibjoanie
    ibjoanie Posts: 2
    Options
    Am I the only one here motivated by food? A friend and I have made a pact that when we get skinny (and it might take a year or two) we are going to Dollywood (where I plan to indulge in a funnel cake...) Otherwise, I weigh every morning to remind myself that I can gain it much more easily than I can lose it.
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If I start to lose focus I look at my old pictures and it gets me back to where I need to be. I don't want to go back to the way I was before.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    it might sound kinda weird... but I love dancing workouts. So I love to watch music videos and seeing how fit the dancers are inspires and motivates me. Also sometimes if I am being really lazy and I know I am avoiding things or making excuses of myself... I just look in the mirror at myself and what I want to change. It's definitely a wake up call when I do that.
    But don't be too hard on yourself... know that you will have good days and bad days on your journey but the most important thing is just to never give up :)
  • glaverill
    glaverill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a group of people together, have a weight loss challenge for 16 weeks, everyone puts in 20 bucks or more, whoever looses the most weight wins the money... I am in one and I am winning. 15 lbs lost in 2 months! so far, Its really easy to fight for money in the economy we are living in right now... I am going to need new clothes ( I don't fit in anything anymore and don't have money to buy new) and that is motivation for me!
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    Visualize!

devito.jpg
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    My motivation comes from knowing I have a goal that I want to hit. Plus.... I'm on a mandatory PT Program...lol. So once I test out, Its going to be hard to keep going. But I'm going to do it!!!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5am and there are times where I get up and I just do not want to go. But then I think of what I have accomplished and what I can further accomplish and it gets me revved up and ready to go. Also I love the feeling I get after my work outs. I am full of energy through out my work day
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and set daily goals...seems to help me. Good luck!
  • GregRandall
    GregRandall Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    By forcing myself to avoid the path of least resistance- walking instead of driving, using the stairs instead of the travelator- and also being surrounded by overweight colleagues!!
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have used the usual suspects, (the scale, the mirror, etc.), but I have actually found that loging in and MFP and seeing what others are doing every day has been very motivational. Lots of really good stories of people transforming themselves here. Kind of makes you feel like a slug when you blow a day.....
  • Claire2605
    Options
    I just ask myself: 'would you rather have those 2 mins of pleasure eating that, or have a slim body?' also, if i'm hungry I wait a while before I eat and have a drink first, because sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Come on here, everybody is motivating and inspiring to me!

^^this!

As above
  • missbabygirlx
    Options
    i come on here as other people have also said they all keep you motivated, also i have clothes i want to get back into that i love!! and just keep thinking about looking and feeling alot better about myself :) x
  • missbaker89
    missbaker89 Posts: 245
    Options
    i come on here as other people have also said they all keep you motivated, also i have clothes i want to get back into that i love!! and just keep thinking about looking and feeling alot better about myself :) x

ditto again xx
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is my family and what not getting in shape can do to them. I watched my overweight mother in law ignore her diabetes and other health issues, have emergency heart surgery followed by a series of strokes. She survived for ten more years but as an invalid in diapers, and feeding tubes. Watching that and knowing that my children's only memories of Nana is a helpless old woman keeps me focused since I also have a diagnosis of diabetes and high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I won't do that to myself, but most of all, I won't do it to my family if I can possibly help it!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I look at the 2 giant trash bags at the bottom of my closet full of my 'fat' clothes that I have yet to donate. I just have not gotten around to it, plus it serves as a huge reminder. Also there is a small section in my closet now that I think I need to re-try on because I believe they might be too big now.

Lots of things motivate me, from the way I now look (it's not always 100% everyday, still have some inner demons) and more importantly the way I feel. The fact that I can do stuff, exercise, have a desire to get out and do stuff. I never had that before.
  • mscarmen803
    Options
    Have tried this before, didnt work for me.
    Get a group of people together, have a weight loss challenge for 16 weeks, everyone puts in 20 bucks or more, whoever looses the most weight wins the money... I am in one and I am winning. 15 lbs lost in 2 months! so far, Its really easy to fight for money in the economy we are living in right now... I am going to need new clothes ( I don't fit in anything anymore and don't have money to buy new) and that is motivation for me!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I set MEASURABLE GOALS and PUBLICIZE them on my FB page LOL...my family and friends are BRUTAL. So I keep up w/ my goals lol For instance one of my 2011 goals was to do (11) 5k races. I did meet my goal but I did 10 races in 4 months. Weighing over 200lbs is a reason to do the races but to do so many so close together made me realize HELL I CAN DO THIS AND MORE!

Set MEASURABLE goals! Have accountability partners who will NOT let you FORGET your GOALS! Set ATTAINABLE GOALS too i.e. going from 300lbs to 120lbs in 6 months is not realistic.

So I am motivated to complete my 2012 Fitness goals of (1) Lose 65 lbs aiming to lose 10lbs max a month for 8 months, (2) complete 10- 5k races - I have done 3 races thus far in 2012, (3) to do 2- 10k races (I am currently doing a 10k training program), (4) workout 5-6 days a week and I am currently working out 7 days a week b/c of my C210k training, (5) go workout IMMEDIATELY after work - I do NOT run errands before I go workout and (6) Complete New Rules of Lifting for Women 6 month weight training program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MFP friends are my other source of MOTIVATION!!!!!!!!!!!!