Snack Choices

Options
So i have come to the fact that all my snack choices for between meals are horrible!!! I am looking out to all you guys in the MFP community for healthy snack ideas that i don't have to make (cause being at my college i literally cant make anything or store anything that's supposed to stay cold) that are relatively low in calories and that are very filling. I feel like i have plateau'd long enough and this snack problem may be the reason. Any ideas would be helpful and necessary. Btw if you could list the cals for each of the snacks that would be greatly appreciated! =D

Replies

• Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    90 cal fiber one brownies are pretty tasty but wont fill you up .. your best bet would be veggies that don't require refrigeration. Fruits tend to be higher in calories but are also a solid choice.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Apples and bananas are great. Rice cakes, pretzels. I am realizing that I eat too many carbs. I am going to increase my fruit consumption this week.
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    fruits such as apples, bananas, oranges etc. Popcorn. Vegetables - carrots, celery peppers, etc.
  • carrie1013
    carrie1013 Posts: 129
    Options
    My weight loss is at a stand still right now as well, but I have some ideas for snacks. Obviously there is fruit, raw veggies... I also like string cheese, yogurt, smoothies, crackers (when fruit wont cut it), or even the 100 calorie packs of cookies, etc when you have a sweet tooth. Good luck!
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Snack a jacks the large ones are great - caramel are only 51 cals per cake and taste great and satisfy a sweet craving :)
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    100 cal pack almonds, apples, bananas, 90 cal low sugar granola bars are my go-to snacks when I'm on campus.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You could try:

Nuts (No Salt)
    Berries (Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc)
    Bananas
    Apples
    Popcorn (Air Popped the day before or earlier in the day before college)
    Protein Bar

I think the highest in calories would be Nuts and the Protein Bar. I've made Popcorn using Spray Oil and it's less than 100kcal for 25g. Berries are quite low in calories, I had like 75g of Blueberries the other day and it below 50kcal. A banana, depending on the size could be just above or just below 100kcal.
  • frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tomato and basil string cheese is awesome! 70 calories and it fills me up
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Kashi bars (any type)
    Apples or Pears
    lowfat Pretzels
    Crackers
    Peanut butter to go packs
    Beef, chicken or Turkey jerkey (if you don't mind the sodium)
    Tuna Pouches (they have them flavored as well)
  • jude7701
    jude7701 Posts: 23
    Options
    My husband loves "Kind" bars- they have fruit and nuts in them, and not a ton of other "junk". They generally run 140-180 calories, and he said they fill him up enough between meals that he isn't snacking all the time. We can find them in the grocery store, but we actually buy them by the box on Amazon, because they are a lot cheaper!
  • Brian001
    Brian001 Posts: 89
    Options
    My husband loves "Kind" bars- they have fruit and nuts in them, and not a ton of other "junk". They generally run 140-180 calories, and he said they fill him up enough between meals that he isn't snacking all the time. We can find them in the grocery store, but we actually buy them by the box on Amazon, because they are a lot cheaper!

I have 2 boxes of these and there are 210 calories in each bar =/
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks that are easy are the 100 cal Slimfast choc Nut bar (TASTES JUST LIKE A SNICKERS!), (they also have a butterfingers bar replica that is almost exact) for when you NEED the chocolate or the candy. I also like the double dutch chocolate ones as they are more granola-y. All of these have 100 cals. I love fiber one chocolate chip bars but beware they make you extremely gassy. They do taste like a chocolate chip cookie. Peanut butter on a spoon for when I need to fulfill that reeses craving.I crave a lot of sweet stuff so those are it for me. Yogurt, nuts, fruit and veggies, and granola bars are really what I try to snack on. OH, and I can't forget oatmeal. They are around 110 calories made with water and are actually quite filling for a little while. Add a banana if you must.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What about making trail mixes there are so many different ways to make different mixes you would never be bored....
  • Brian001
    Brian001 Posts: 89
    Options
    totally forgot rice cakes had so little calories! will definitely pick up a pack or two next time i'm at the store!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I know you can't refrigerate, but one of my favorite snacks is yogurt with a tablespoon of sliced almonds mixed in - easy to pick up a yogurt container on the go. Nuts are a good source of protein, too!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are always a good choice :)
    apples bananas and kiwis are good too (and don't have to be in the fridge)
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Kellogs Special K Cracker Chips - 110 Calories for 27 chips (Cheddar Cheese ones.) In the cracker aisle, Kind of a cross between a chip and a cracker.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    right now my favorite are the Fiber One Chocolate and oat bars 140 calories but they fill ya up and taste good.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Wasa Multigrain crackers. 3"x4" cracker 45 calories 10 grams of carboydrate

Crunchmaster Multigrain crackers or crisps. Crackers are 140 cals for 14. The crisps are 130 cals for 30 crisps. 20 grams of carbs.

All natural peanut butter 2 tbs 180 cals. I use the peanut butter with the above choices. Nice snack and satisfying.

I also found a product called PB2 it's dehydrated peanut butter. You can mix with water to reconstitute for peanut butter or use dry in protein drinks etc. It has only 45 cals for 2 tbls.

I hope this helps!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love me some almonds! :)