Looking for fabulous quinoa recipes please

Options
C110266
C110266 Posts: 67 Member
Please share your favorite healthy quinoa recipes. Thank you!

Replies

• C110266
    Options
    I made it for the first time tonight. I added garlic, onion, and broccoli. It needed some unsalted spice to make it better but it was good!
  • brewedtea
    brewedtea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! I don't really have my own recipe, but I've found that you can use it almost any way you would use rice or pasta. I cook it in broth to add more flavor, add minced veggies, garlic, any spice or seasoning you can think of, it's really versatile. I eat it as a side dish, in soups or stews, or added to salads, warm or cold. I like this recipe from allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/ Also, I don't know if you eat bulgar, but there's tons of things you can do with that too, it has 30 less calories and 4 grams more fiber per serving, you do sacrifice 2 grams of protein though.
  • C110266
    Options
    I love quinoa! I don't really have my own recipe, but I've found that you can use it almost any way you would use rice or pasta. I cook it in broth to add more flavor, add minced veggies, garlic, any spice or seasoning you can think of, it's really versatile. I eat it as a side dish, in soups or stews, or added to salads, warm or cold. I like this recipe from allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/ Also, I don't know if you eat bulgar, but there's tons of things you can do with that too, it has 30 less calories and 4 grams more fiber per serving, you do sacrifice 2 grams of protein though.

Fabulous! Thank you dear :) Love this info :)
  • Kathycarol
    Kathycarol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put quinoa with pesto and a can of mixed beans, it's really quick. It's also nice with a mexican flair ie. cilantro, lime and chopped peppers. You can put chopped fruit in quinoa too - try mango, pineapple and lemon. Exotic and delicious!
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    I didn't try this yet - but it is on my list to try this coming week as a new healthy dessert!! It looks so yummy.

Quinoa Pudding
    http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=2039
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    I put quinoa with pesto and a can of mixed beans, it's really quick. It's also nice with a mexican flair ie. cilantro, lime and chopped peppers. You can put chopped fruit in quinoa too - try mango, pineapple and lemon. Exotic and delicious!

Never thought of putting fruit in quinoa - I bet that is soooo good! Thanks for that suggestion! :)
  • TigerlillyD
    Options
    I just made this tonight!

Black Beans and Quinoa:

1 tsp vegetable oil
    1 chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic
    (cook for 5 minutes)
    Add 3/4 cup Quinoa and 1 1/5 c. vegetable stock
    1 tsp Cumin
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    (bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes)
    Add 1 cup frozen corn and 2 cans (15 oz) black beans.
    (cook for 5 minutes)

Enjoy!!
  • C110266
    Options
    I just made this tonight!

Black Beans and Quinoa:

1 tsp vegetable oil
    1 chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic
    (cook for 5 minutes)
    Add 3/4 cup Quinoa and 1 1/5 c. vegetable stock
    1 tsp Cumin
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    (bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes)
    Add 1 cup frozen corn and 2 cans (15 oz) black beans.
    (cook for 5 minutes)

Enjoy!!
    Will try this thank you so much!
  • C110266
    Options
    This sounds AWESOME! Thank you so much. I am all about clean eating! Woot woot!

I didn't try this yet - but it is on my list to try this coming week as a new healthy dessert!! It looks so yummy.

Quinoa Pudding
    http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=2039
    [/quote]
  • C110266
    Options
    Thank you, will check them out! :)
  • C110266
    Options
    sounds interesting too, thank you!
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    :glasses: lurks quietly...

I use this one courtesy of Bexxgirl...

Makes 6 decent sized fritters

Quinoa - Cooked, 1 cup cooked (185g)
    White - Flour, 40 g
    Feta, 30 grams
    Spinach - Frozen, chopped or leaf, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 60 g
    Onions - Raw, 50 g
    Generic - Egg Raw - Large, 2 large
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon
    Chopped parsley (about half a cup)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs lightly, then mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Make into fritters and fry in a non-stick pan with a bit of olive oil. I baked mine in the oven to finish them off for a while, too. Super yum with some stir fried veges - would be good with a salad or something, too!

And only 126 cals per fritter (they're reasonably large, too!)

I put a couple cold fritters with a salad for work lunch!

Search Quinoa in the forums...
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bumping for fabulous ideas*

: ))
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This one has been me and hubby's favorite so far: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-with-quinoa-and-veggies/detail.aspx
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mbcarreno08/view/quinoa-salad-with-cherries-and-pecans-80963

this is one of my favorites!

Also, I recently had one serving of ground turkey chili left but needed food for two people. I made some quinoa and mixed it in! It was amazing! I also used some of the plain leftover quinoa for breakfast with a drizzle of honey and some cinnamon! yum!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you like sweet potatos & mushrooms, this one is fantastic! I cook my quinoa in reduced sodium chicken broth! :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-with-sweet-potato-and-mushrooms/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=sweet potato quinoa&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

Ingredients
    1/3 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    1 pinch salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 small sweet onion, chopped
    1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
    1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans

Directions
    1. Stir the quinoa in a saucepan over medium heat until it begins to take on a toasty aroma, about 5 minutes. Pour in the water, and add pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and cayenne pepper; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour a splash of water into the skillet if needed to keep the vegetables from burning. Spoon the vegetable mixture over a bed of quinoa, and sprinkle with chopped pecans to serve.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bump~
  • jenniakers
    Options
    Bumping for yummy recipes